T Nation

Coming Back After Muscle Loss

hello i am new to the site and a amatuer all natural bodybuilder. i recently went through a bought with clon cancer and lost over 50 pounds of muscle and mass. i finally got the clear from my doc to start hitting the gym again. its been so long sice ive been a beginner and was wondering if anybody has had to start all over again from scratch?

do i start where i left off or try to rebuild the pieces left over? also i was wondering about the Test-booster Alpha Male, i would like to try it out and should you take that with their estro-blocker? thank you guys for all your help i know how tight knit the bodybuilding community is and am thankfull for all your help in advance

Start off slow with lower volume and obviously much lower weight than before.

Personally I would keep the frequency pretty high to help you re-learn the movements again. You should recover well enough to do so with lighter weight and volume.

Then build up weight and volume bit by bit over time, muscle memory should help it come back alot quicker than you think. Make sure to eat well and rest and you should be all set.

It’s gaining back what you once had rather than gaining new weight, so should be pretty quick but of course 50lbs is alot and you have been seriously ill so be patient with it too.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

definitely do not just try and pick up where you left off… lol. The above post is pretty much what id do.
Shouldnt take as long as it did the first though which is the good news, good luck dude.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
Start off slow with lower volume and obviously much lower weight than before.

Personally I would keep the frequency pretty high to help you re-learn the movements again. You should recover well enough to do so with lighter weight and volume.

Then build up weight and volume bit by bit over time, muscle memory should help it come back alot quicker than you think. Make sure to eat well and rest and you should be all set.

It’s gaining back what you once had rather than gaining new weight, so should be pretty quick but of course 50lbs is alot and you have been seriously ill so be patient with it too.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.[/quote]

great advice. remember it’s like coming back from injury and going through rehab. lighter loads/low intensity can handle more frequency and like yolo84 said, higher frequency will help re-educate the muscles to fire better. waiting 7 days like typical BB routine may be too long and you might forget how it helt last week. good luck on your comeback.

thanks guys for your help, this is what ive been doing for the past three weeks.
Monday: Back. dead lift 4x10, lat pull down 4x10, rear flies 4x10, shrugs 4x10
Tuesday: chest. flat bench 4x10, incline bench 4x10, military press 4x10, front raises 4x10
wednseday: cardio and abs
Thursday: leg press 4x10, leg curls, stiff leg deads, hamstirngs curls
Friday: arms. straight bar curls, hammer curls, tricep push downs, skull crushers
Saturday: cardio and abs

i also work out my abs and calves everyday. i am still trying to build back up but i want to do the military open competetion that i took third in last year but would like to take first this year as i will more than likely be way leaner than last year. ill be eight weeks from competetion on september the 9th. so until then i think ill try to concetrate on gaining some weight back. any ideas or sugestions for the testo-booster and estrogen blocker?

im trying to decide which ones i should stack with what. any suggestions or ideas would be awsome. the muscle memory is coming back little by little its just hard going from the guy that people got out of the way for to hte guy thats just in the way now. thank you guys for your support and your ideas.

Hey?? You still making a come back? Let us know how it’s going. Post even if you gave up.

[quote]sailordave89 wrote:
thanks guys for your help, this is what ive been doing for the past three weeks.
Monday: Back. dead lift 4x10, lat pull down 4x10, rear flies 4x10, shrugs 4x10
Tuesday: chest. flat bench 4x10, incline bench 4x10, military press 4x10, front raises 4x10
wednseday: cardio and abs
Thursday: leg press 4x10, leg curls, stiff leg deads, hamstirngs curls
Friday: arms. straight bar curls, hammer curls, tricep push downs, skull crushers
Saturday: cardio and abs

i also work out my abs and calves everyday. i am still trying to build back up but i want to do the military open competetion that i took third in last year but would like to take first this year as i will more than likely be way leaner than last year. ill be eight weeks from competetion on september the 9th. so until then i think ill try to concetrate on gaining some weight back. any ideas or sugestions for the testo-booster and estrogen blocker?

im trying to decide which ones i should stack with what. any suggestions or ideas would be awsome. the muscle memory is coming back little by little its just hard going from the guy that people got out of the way for to hte guy thats just in the way now. thank you guys for your support and your ideas. [/quote]

Alpha Male not necessary for a 23yo. Just focus on banging down quality protein and get some good digestive enzymes especially with your colon history.

Yolo is right hire him, do not waste $ on stuff with labels.

Damn props for the comeback man, I feel kind of frustrating when I lose like 10 pounds, that motivating! … hope it goes well and quick for you! I agree with others your way to young to be worrying about test boosters… Definitely look into Indigo if you get the chance though that stuff is legit!

Good luck with your recovery! I’m just about to start radiation treatment for a spinal cord tumor and am very interested in this thread. I’ve been given the ok to do cardio and anything that doesn’t require a breath hold or that drastically increases internal pressure, so no heavy lifting for me for a while.

I will follow along with you progress. You should be able to regain quite a bit quickly.