Coming Back After Long Layoff

i’ve been pretty lazy this year and have finally decided to get off my lazy ass and get back in shape. what would be a good program for someone who’s coming off a long layoff? i’d prefer to train m-w-f. i also have alot of fat to lose and alot of muscle needs to be gained. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Weight training helps. Maybe a good diet as well.

good luck.

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Weight training helps. Maybe a good diet as well.

good luck.

DG[/quote]

lol…

well op, there is a search function powered by google.

if you are only wanting to train 3 days a week, i would suggest full body workouts comprised of 3 to 4 lifts.

and i am in agreement with Dirty Gerdy regarding diet

any more quality advice?

[quote]bart wrote:
any more quality advice?[/quote]

dood seriously. Your asking people to basically lay out a program and diet for you.

Make an effort and comprise something yourself and then I’m sure people would be glad to critique it. If you look at the top right corner of the screen there is a search function.

If you type in what your looking for, chances are you can at least find enough info to get started and come back with legit questions.

DG

nobody asked you to reply to my post, DOOD!!!

[quote]bart wrote:
any more quality advice?[/quote]

Your mental game needs to be sharp.

Never miss sessions, never miss meals, plan meals in advance, cook meals in advance if your not gonna be at home all day.

You mentioned you need to lose fat. As Dirty said weight training and a good diet helps… It does more than helps :slight_smile:

And do use the search… Type in what you want to know and you’ll get all the answers instead of waiting for people to reply. Start with this: Type in fish oil and find the article about that,im very sure they will be in your diet very soon

[quote]bart wrote:
nobody asked you to reply to my post, DOOD!!![/quote]

grow up

fuck you!

-_- just go

Man, this place has really gone to shit.

Bart, drop a few bucks on Waterbury’s “Muscle Revolution” book. It has ten or twelve different programs outlined in there, with explanations of when in your training you’d want to use them and why.

Ive come back many times from layoffs due to injury or just being to lazy. What Ive done every time is do total body workouts M,W,F,with low volume per muscle. Example:
bigger bodyparts 2 exercises of 3 sets each
smaller b.p’s. 2 exercises for 2 sets each
I’d also alternate heavy with longer rest between sets (1.5-2 mins.)with lighter with minimum rest between sets(30 sec.)i use my stop watch for this.

chest;heavy
back ;light
delts;heavy
legs ;light
arms; superset bis and tris and simply fill them with blood cause youve already worked them with all your pushing and pulling. Then on wednesday go the opposite, so on.

On heavy bodypart use basic compound exercises and for light bodypart use isolation exercises. This really worked for me to build my strength and muscle endurance back up after the lay off.

[quote]bart wrote:
fuck you![/quote]

If you haven’t learned how it’s done by now, you’ll never learn.

I think I would try a full body routine like 5X5 or maybe even HST to start back into it. Then switch over to a split routine once you build a solid foundation.

I used 5X5 for many years and still cycle back into it on occassion. I consider this one of the best foundation building routines. I would suggest doing the intermediate routine to start out and move to the advanced after you have ran a few cycles. The 5x5 can take you a long way into gaining strength. You could literally use this for years and still make gains. Work in some isolation work with this after you have built a solid base. Then consider a full body split routine once you get your strength up on the basic compound lifts. Below is a link to get you going on this.

I tried HST with some good results for what it is and the site lays out a perfectly fine routine you can follow. I used HST to get myself started back after my injury and had really solid results. I am now back to using a split routine with a cycle or two of 5x5 each year and making consistent gains. I consider this a fine routine for a beginner or intermediate to build from. Below is a link to get you going.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/