T Nation

Comic Con, San Diego

As most of you now know, the largest convention of popular culture, 2002 Comic Con International, San Diego is now just a memory. But what a memory! In between portfolio reviews and such, I was trying to see and hear as much as possible all the movie/film events so as to report back it all here. Ko was able to sit in on the James Cameron “Solaris” presentation, Bryan Singer’s “X-Men2”, Ben Affleck and director Mark Steven Johnson talking about “Daredevil” (as well as showing some fabulous footage). We both saw the Richard Taylor (2-time Oscar Winner) and his WETA studio’s LoTR effects (makeup and FX) presentation. Here, two WETA studio wonders turned a actor into a Orc onstage during the presentation. One word: Amazing! And the BEST thing: seeing footage from the upcoming Frazetta documentary. I’ve found some websites that can further describe the going ons during the con:

http://chucks888.freeservers.com/ comic-con.html (eliminate the space at "/" and "comic")

www.comicscontinuum.com/ stories/0208/05/xpanel.htm (eliminate the space at "/" and "stories")

www.lightsoutentertainment.com/ cgi-bin/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1028538702,40350,x#t3 (eliminate the space at "/" and "cgi")

And a nice little site about a LoTR fan's trip to Comic Con: www.iansmith.co.uk/ lotr/July31.htm (space at "/" and "lotr") - good pictures here.

There are a TON of reports from Comic Con. If any of you fellow T-forumites are interested, let me know, I will post 'em.

Go here for news about the casting of Superman for the Superman vs. Batman flick as well as info from the Comic Con: www.supermanhomepage.com/ news.html (eliminate the space at “/” and “news”).

Patricia

Patricia----Is there a site that the Frazetta documentary is being sold. I absolutely have to get a copy. On a side note, I’m going to his museum in a few weeks.

tommyboy: You’ll have to provide a FULL report on the museum! We are planning a visit (finally!) for next summer. After Comic-Con in July. It’s my lifelong dream, you know. More important than seeing either of the Musee Rodin (Paris and Meudon), the Louvre or even Florence! I’m so thrilled to hear you’re going, though!

The documentary official site is: http://cinemachine.net/ - you can get on their mailing list for emailed updates. Have you been to Frazetta's official site? It's www.frazettaartgallery.com I visit it at least once a day - been doing that for the last 4-years!

Patricia—I will give a full report on the day I return from the museum. And yes, I’ve been to the Frazetta site dozens of times. Can’t wait to go to the museum and buy a Death Dealer Beer Stein. $200 well spent in my opinion.

Waaaaaaaaaaaa. I wanna go to the Comic Con!!! Oh well. Patricia did you see any Crossgen stuff there? That’s my favorite publisher. All of their titles kickass. Ciao. :slight_smile:

nkeago: CrossGen has/had a HUGE booth. So, basically, couldn’t miss it! BTW: a good friend, Aaron Lopresti will be pencilling their “Sojourn” book. Keep an eye our for that. I regularly get that book as well as The Path. Good stuff.

Okay, a synopsis of practically EVERY panel held at Comic Con is here: http://www.joblo.com/ sandiegocon2002/index.htm (eliminate the space at “/” and “sandiegocon…”).

Also, so far it's a lock: Josh Hartnett may just be our new Clark Kent/ Superman. Uh, do I like this bit of casting news? Nope. Think they can do better.

Patricia :-)

Sideshow Toys has posted their FULL Comic Con 2002 report. It contains photos and reports of much of what Ko and I saw - especially at the Richard Taylor/Weta presentation (which was phenomenal!).Go here to see for yourself: www.sideshowtoy.com/ comiccon/080802.html (eliminate the space at “/” and “comiccon”). Patricia :slight_smile:

BTW: Approximately 75,000 people attended this year (LA Times is reporting this number). Understand that last year, "only" 60,000 people attended. Wild.

Thanks. :slight_smile: Sojourn is a great book. The current artist makes Arywn’s hips to damn small. Ron Marz is a great writer. I’m thinking of sending in a submission to Crossgen. :slight_smile:

Hey, nkeago: Let me tell you that while Crossgen had scheduled Portfolio Reviews last year during three of the four days of the Con, this year they had scheduled none. I do know that they are (and I heard this from other Pros) planning on working on “creator owned” books.

Man, if you REALLY want someone to look at your stuff - you need to go to the Con. That way, not only will such publishers like DC, Marvel, Humanoids Publishing (the originator of Heavy Metal Magazine) - but the up and comers and independent publishers will see your "stuff". Which is what you want. To have as many people as possible see your book (s).

I'm not sure of how savvy you are with comic book stuff - but I'd be willing to help you in any way offline. Let me know! You know of the history of Crossgen, right? Pretty interesting.

First off I should say I don’t want to work as an artist but as a writer. I mean I have artistic talent but lets say I only draw about once a year. Not something I practice. Plus I just don’t think I would like doing it. Therefore I don’t really think a con would be as benifical to me as say it would to an artist. I mean I have submission guide lines for crossgen among others. As for Crossgen not looking for anyone new. Probably…but if you got it then…exceptions abound. Do I “got it”??? Well I don’t know yet. :wink:

I think I’m pretty knowledgable about the comic book industry. However I do think you know more so I would appreciate the help. History of crossgen…I know some, fill me in. Offline or at least off the forum sounds like a better place…email? Thanks Patricia. Ciao. :slight_smile:

Well, okay a writer and not a artist. Sorry for thinking that. Anywhoos, I’ll provide you with some info here for writers - and much of this is what I heard, firsthand, from a couple of “head honchos” over at DC. And I’m sure Marvel, Dark Horse, and even Crossgen follow the same criteria.

DC basically will throw writing submissions in a nice beeg pile. They will get to reading the submissions when they can. The submissions they do read, righ away - as in: when handed to a Editor, are the ones that have been published. So, their one big piece of advice to writers: Get Published. Submit a published manuscript. Literally. A published submission will more than likely be read. Another piece of advice: work with an artist and get yourself published.

Now, then we have Crossgen. The guy who began this company has oodles of money and a great love of comic books. He had a vision of a publishing "empire" that worked in it's own universe - much like Marvel or DC - except, his universe would be a mystical one. Also, this company did not employ "freelance talent" like Marvel and DC, but "inhouse" talent. When you work for Crossgen, you live in Florida (where it's based) and go to work in the "office" - except as pencillers, inkers, writers, etc. And you are "contracted" to punch out a certain amount of pages (I'm not sure if it's per week or month) as a employed talent.

Okay - so here is why going to a large comic con such as San Diego, Wizard, Pittsburgh or Motor City would be helpful, for even writers. If you have a script, you can find an artist to work with. If you already have an artist, you can find a publisher that works with creators. A publisher like Slave Labor Graphics (SLG) might be one.

But we can talk more of this stuff offline. I'm sure it would bore the dickens out of anyone else here on the forum not into comic books....and them people are missing out - aren't they? :-)

Well, not “news” but a interview at Comic Con with both director, Jonathon Mostow and star, Arnold Schwarzenegger about T3:Rise of the Machines.

"INTERVIEW: SCHWARZENEGGER/MOSTOW

”Were you at Comic Con when New Line was pimping The Cell and The Fellowship of the Ring and Sir Ian McKellan walked out on stage, surprising the hell out of the audience and causing applause to rain down like hellfire? Yeah, it was pretty memorable, cool, and made a lot of folks really fucking happy. It also set a precedent.

Now, the idea behind the convention is to bring "surprise guests" and get people talking about it the rest of the day. Ben Affleck sure as hell was talked about as was the most excellent X2 footage. James Cameron showing up was a big deal and his footage from Solaris looked great, but for sheer applause-level-and-fans-jumping-to-their-feet-and-going-mad-ability, you can't beat what happened when Jonathan Mostow brought Arnold Schwarzenegger on stage for Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

People went ape-shit. Absolutely, positively ape-shit. Nevermind that End of Days, The 6th Day, and Collateral Damage weren't big fan favorites, Arnold Schwarzenegger can have the same hypnotic effect on a Comic Con audience that William Shatner does at a Star Trek Convention. Schwarzenegger could've come out to promote his role as the little-seen, but oft-quoted Professor Diogenes Teufelsdrockh in a new, seven-hour, no sets/empty-stage Peter Greenaway-directed version of Carlyle's Sartor Resartus and the fans would've gone crazy.

That's just kind of the way Schwarzenegger is. Two years ago while promoting The 6th Day at the L.A. Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention, the reaction was the same – people leaping to their feet and going nutso. THAT is the definition of a star, I suppose.

Anyway, after talking it up with the crowd and showing some new T3 footage, Schwarzenegger and Mostow came back to the press room and did a quick roundtable of interviews with us'in's from the genre press.

Question: That was a hell of a surprise, huh? Arnold: This is fun because these are the fans, these are the first ones to go see the movie so it's always great to come down and show our appreciation to the fans because without the fans, what do we have?

Question: Were you surprised by how big a reaction you got? Arnold: I'm always very pleased when I get this kind of reaction, you know. I can't say 'surprised' because I never even think about it – will I get a standing ovation or not – or anything like this. So, it was great to get this kind of reception.

Question: Can you tell us how your character is different in this film? Arnold: It's pretty much the same kind of a character, but the scenes are quite different and the kind of circumstances that he gets into are very different and the time is different, also. It's ten years later. So, he has his hands full.

Question: Are you the hero or are you the villain? Arnold: That I cannot tell you because that would give the story away because there are a lot of surprises throughout the story even with that particular subject and I'd like to keep it that way.

Question: How far are you through the production and how much do you have to go? Arnold: We are now, what is it? Three months in it? Jonathan: We did Day 77 of 100 last night.

Question: At the end of the footage you showed, we got to see the endoskeleton, finally, being built. Does that mean in the movie we will finally get to see the model for the person the T-800 was based on? Do you play more than one character in this movie? Arnold: Uh...I cannot tell you that. Jonathan: We just need to plead the fifth amendment all the time.

Question: When dealing with a highly-anticipated project like this, how do you live up to the hype and does that enter into any of your creative thoughts?

Jonathan: Yeah, the funny thing is what drives me always is, first I've got to like the story. When I realized what story this could be, I got excited by that and then I got all focused and I just tuned out the whole daunting aspect, filling Jim Cameron's shoes, all that kind of stuff. Then, at some point before we started, suddenly I thought, oh, my God! I'm making this huge, huge movie that's known all over the world, it's got all this pressure on it, but then the first day we started shooting, this wonderful feeling came over me. I realized, you know what's different about this movie? Every other thing I've ever done, you make it and you sit there going, God, I'm putting all this effort into it, but is anybody going to go see this? And there's just something wonderfully calming about the fact that we're making this movie and, for better or worse – hopefully for better – everybody's going to go see this movie. Even the guy out there who is saying, "you're going to ruin the picture," he'll still go see it! As a filmmaker, that's a great feeling just to know that the audience is there, so that aspect of it is very calming and it takes away a lot of the anxiety and neuroticism that usually surrounds the process of making a movie.

Arnold: But there is a tremendous demand out there. There's no two days about it. No matter where you go – and just recently I went over to Japan for instance and I was sitting with a bunch of journalists, maybe two hundred of them and I was promoting COLLATERAL DAMAGE. The first question was, "are you going to do another TERMINATOR?" And, no matter where I go, whatever country it is – the United States or other countries – that's what people want to see most. It's one of those franchises. I don't think there's anyone here concerned about "ten years out." People have been waiting. Of course, they've seen the second one now in so many different ways, in the movie house, on video, on television, whatever, so it's really a highly-anticipated project.

Question: For you as an actor, you've done so many things since the last TERMINATOR, what's it like for you to step back into it? Is it like putting on a comfortable shirt or difficult getting back into it? Arnold: It was like putting on a comfortable shirt. It always feels great to get back into it again and I, somehow, click into this character very quickly and the only thing I had to do was get going with my training again because one of the things you can't hide is when you arrive from the future to the present and you arrive naked. So, you have to have the same body as you did in the first movie or the second movie because otherwise you're not from the same mold or are the same kind of robot. So, the pressure's on and Jonathan said, "I think you'd better gain some weight." All this pressure put on me, so I started going with a heavy workout for the last six months.

Question: Was it hard to get into that kind of shape again? Arnold: No, no, I love it. Whenever you have a reason for it, it's like – this day, we're going to this scene or this week, we're going to shoot this scene. This is like, in the middle of June or whatever it is, the Mr. Olympia competition is that day and I'm going to train for that day so that's what you do. You go on a diet again and eat more and you train more and instead of training at home, I ended up training at a gym much more. It was fun.

Question: Like old times. Arnold: Exactly. I'm very fortunate that on set also I get enough time to train during lunch time because it's very important for me to train twice a day when I train heavier and harder, so we have a hour during lunch which I then take for working out in the exercise trailer. "

That’s it folks, just a tidbit. Hope you enjoyed it. Patricia :-)

Good advice. Seem to remember hearing some of it before. Heheh. I’m betting that pile of submissions is HUUUUUUGE. Wait I mean hooooge. As for Crossgen I didn’t know how it got created but I knew it was by Mark Alessi. As for crossgen being in house talent I knew that. Okay and by offline I’m sure you mean email…so technically online. Heheh. :slight_smile:

Yeah, just go ahead and email me. Oh, and Crossgen is now considering a “independent’” line for independent creators. So, if you don’t have a artist yet for your script - get one. Get the book together and submit - I’m still receiving info on this - so, I don’t know yet where Crossgen is at. I heard this from a comic book pro.

Oh, and thanks for clarifying the "huuuuuge" and the "hoooooge" - very important to do on this site -right? hee hee. Except isn't there a "y" in "hooooge"? So that it would be "hyoooooge"? :-)

That was from me, Patricia (didn’t want to be rude…) and if you don’t have my addy, go to: www.portfolios.com/PatriciaSmith - it’s listed there.

Damn I forgot the y. Should be emailing you shortly. Ciao. :slight_smile: