T Nation

Comic Book Thread

haha Space Beaver, loved it.

That reminded me of one of my all time favorites.

Groo the Wanderer !

[quote]Leeuwer wrote:
For those who know it, Berserk is everything.

It’s a manga, and it’s storyline has started 18 years ago and is still growing and getting better. It truly has the greatest character development and intelligent notion, and realism, of any book or story I’ve ever read, and I’m sure all fans of it agree.
Plus the main character is as bad-ass as they come :

No words can sum up what it’s about, but Wikipedia does an okay job.

This is where most of the big-ass swords in mangas and video games come from by the way. [/quote]

Second the Berserk manga choice. I know Dark Horse is releasing them in English, but you can get fan scanlations online. Quite possibly my favourite read of all time, and like Leeuwer said, biggest bad-ass of them all.

[quote]Ren wrote:
Leeuwer wrote:
For those who know it, Berserk is everything.

It’s a manga, and it’s storyline has started 18 years ago and is still growing and getting better. It truly has the greatest character development and intelligent notion, and realism, of any book or story I’ve ever read, and I’m sure all fans of it agree.
Plus the main character is as bad-ass as they come :

No words can sum up what it’s about, but Wikipedia does an okay job.

This is where most of the big-ass swords in mangas and video games come from by the way.

Second the Berserk manga choice. I know Dark Horse is releasing them in English, but you can get fan scanlations online. Quite possibly my favourite read of all time, and like Leeuwer said, biggest bad-ass of them all.[/quote]

I’m definitely very interested in checking out this title. I’ve been looking for a good manga read for a long time. It seems like every time I pick one up, it starts off interesting but loses me quickly because it just gets too corny. A lot of Japanese pop culture seems to be a mixture of cheese and bad-assery (that word exists in my dictionary).

http://www.ex.org/1.5/20-sanctuary.html

The only other manga I’ve ever read that grabbed me and kept me was Sanctuary. Unfortunately, I only got through the first two books and now they are impossible to find anywhere (I tried used comic book stores, online, etc.). If you ever happen to come across this title, pick it up! It’s a deep story involving the Yakuza and governmental politics, conspiracies, etc. Great stuff.

[quote]CC wrote:

I’m definitely very interested in checking out this title. I’ve been looking for a good manga read for a long time. It seems like every time I pick one up, it starts off interesting but loses me quickly because it just gets too corny. A lot of Japanese pop culture seems to be a mixture of cheese and bad-assery (that word exists in my dictionary).

The only other manga I’ve ever read that grabbed me and kept me was Sanctuary. Unfortunately, I only got through the first two books and now they are impossible to find anywhere (I tried used comic book stores, online, etc.). If you ever happen to come across this title, pick it up! It’s a deep story involving the Yakuza and governmental politics, conspiracies, etc. Great stuff.[/quote]

Sanctuary is very good. Lucky for me, the comic book store owner is obsessed with it, and he sometimes lets me borrow a copy. True, if you can get it, definately read it.

Berserk is a great manga, but I have to warn you, it’s not really for starting out with.
There’s a very complex story, but you will be so sucked into it when you come across Gatts’ struggles, and the other characters, you will be amazed at how it will change your life and the way you look at things.

On the old Kazaa(does anyone use that still?)you can find a lot of scanlations, with the Japanese changed into English. If I can recommend anything about the series, I’d start with Volume 14 tot 16. After that you’ll want to know everything.

Gatts is an anti-hero like there ever was one … a realistic one.

Even though he swings a 7 feet 225 lb sword known as the Dragon Slager … but he doens’t make it seem easy, that’s for sure.

Nextwave, a recent series by Marvel is just awesome. Funny and action packed, great read

[quote]Leeuwer wrote:
CC wrote:

The only other manga I’ve ever read that grabbed me and kept me was Sanctuary. Unfortunately, I only got through the first two books and now they are impossible to find anywhere (I tried used comic book stores, online, etc.). If you ever happen to come across this title, pick it up! It’s a deep story involving the Yakuza and governmental politics, conspiracies, etc. Great stuff.

Sanctuary is very good. Lucky for me, the comic book store owner is obsessed with it, and he sometimes lets me borrow a copy. True, if you can get it, definately read it.

Berserk is a great manga, but I have to warn you, it’s not really for starting out with.
There’s a very complex story, but you will be so sucked into it when you come across Gatts’ struggles, and the other characters, you will be amazed at how it will change your life and the way you look at things.

On the old Kazaa(does anyone use that still?)you can find a lot of scanlations, with the Japanese changed into English. If I can recommend anything about the series, I’d start with Volume 14 tot 16. After that you’ll want to know everything.

Gatts is an anti-hero like there ever was one … a realistic one.

Even though he swings a 7 feet 225 lb sword known as the Dragon Slager … but he doens’t make it seem easy, that’s for sure.

[/quote]

I third the Berserk choice.

I’m actually a big fan of manga. The only problems are that sometimes the translations can be pretty poor (to humorous effect occasionally), and that a lot of really good manga aren’t done yet. It drives me nuts when I get to the end of published material, and have to sit on my hands for the next installment. That happened to me with Berserk at the end of volume 25. Argh.

For more general bad-assity, try Blade of the Immortal. It’s about a samurai who, due to an afflication, can regenerate body parts. This is an excuse for him to dismember lots of other samurai, and to be dismembered in return. Oh, and he has to protect a girl.

And since we’re on the topic of manga, if you want, you can try Akira and Ghost in the Shell as well. They’re both classics.

And the cover of the Space Beaver comic is great! I can’t imagine a more heroic-looking protagonist.

[quote]blooey wrote:

I third the Berserk choice.

I’m actually a big fan of manga. The only problems are that sometimes the translations can be pretty poor (to humorous effect occasionally), and that a lot of really good manga aren’t done yet. It drives me nuts when I get to the end of published material, and have to sit on my hands for the next installment. That happened to me with Berserk at the end of volume 25. Argh.

[/quote]

You can get a monthly chapter that’s uploaded by fans on the Skullknight.net forum. A month is pretty long too, but at least you’ll have it quicker than half year.

I’m a professional artist and a HUGE comic book fan. I’ve been collecting since I was young (now a young 51). Particularly MARVEL COMICS. I had a lot of the first editions, but they were sold off by my brother when I joined the Army in 78.

I collect all of the Hardback, Paperbacks, Statues, Bust you name it and I probably have it. I also have quite a few of the artist autographs not to mention big names like Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. Oh and by the way I saw X-men III, The Last Stand this past Friday and all can say is WOW!

[quote]JohnnyNinja wrote:
haha Space Beaver, loved it.

That reminded me of one of my all time favorites.

Groo the Wanderer ![/quote]

“And now Groo does what Groo does best!” Used to love that comic.

Some trivia us geeks may or may not know: The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic started out in the early-mid eighties as a mature reader (well, teens and up) comic! The pages were in black-and-white (later colorized in TPBs), but the covers were color, so you could see what the intended colors were. All of the turtles had red masks and no pupils, just white slits to make them look bad-ass. There was fairly graphic blood and even mild swearing.

When Eastman & Laird went commercial with it is when these different colored masks and “cowabunga, dude!” type crap came from. I guess I can’t knock them for making a buck; so few comic artists ever achieve the payday they deserve.

Spawn was pretty cool, but after the first few years, Spawn’s main purpose seemed to be sitting in his alley, contemplating the worms crawling in and out of his face. Sam & Twitch’s spinoff mag was cool, though.

The Maxx, The Savage Dragon, and Shadow Hawk were also some early Image favorites of mine.

I just got into comic books too, I bought house of m by marvel, it’s really good! I’m gonna go with son of m to see where it goes.

I’ve got too many to list but a couple of them not mentioned:

Fables
Lucifer
The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman
The Books of Magic
Supreme Power

and my all time fav:

Hellblazer - every issue gets better and better. So sad about the movie.

[quote]Digital Chainsaw wrote:
Some trivia us geeks may or may not know: The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic started out in the early-mid eighties as a mature reader (well, teens and up) comic! The pages were in black-and-white (later colorized in TPBs), but the covers were color, so you could see what the intended colors were. All of the turtles had red masks and no pupils, just white slits to make them look bad-ass. There was fairly graphic blood and even mild swearing.[/quote]

I seem to remember that somewhere way back in that storage cabinet called the brain. It just seemed like TMNT had a much seedier element to it when I was much younger, but I guess I, like everyone else, had kind of forgotten about it once the cartoon and toys became big. Heck, even the first live-action movie was much darker than the later films. They got really cheesy starting with the second one (yes, I still loved them).

I actually still have an old TMNT one-shot in my collection that was a tribute to Bruce Lee. It was a pretty cool story where the turtles go to Hong Kong and meet this guy “Lee” (get it? They went out on a limb with that one…). The guy’s uncle gets his store burned down by some crooks who work for this underground fighter who Lee refuses to fight. This obviously baits Lee into fighting the guy and the turtles help. Bad-assery ensues. Anyway, the point of my bringing it up is that even that one-shot has a fair bit of blood in it, seemingly much different from the later stuff.

EDIT: Sweet. Found a site where you can actually read the first two issues of TMNT (the originals) online. Scroll to the bottom of the page, pretty easy to find:

Oddly enough, that site seems to list every TMNT comic ever printed, yet mine (that I described above) is nowhere to be found. I think it’s a conspiracy…

EDIT II:

Nevermind, I found it after all. Seems it was a little different than I remember. I realize I’m kind of talking to myself here now, but this thread is conjuring up so many great memories for me and encouraging me to go out and make some more. I think I’m going to have to start following a few books regularly again. Thanks to the OP for this thread. It’s been fun.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
I’ve got too many to list but a couple of them not mentioned…

The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman

Hellblazer - every issue gets better and better. So sad about the movie.[/quote]

Neil Gaiman fans should check out 1602. Gaiman transposes the Marvel universe to that time period with witch/heretic hunts and the initial growth of The Colonies (it’s set in both England/Europe and America). Most cool.

I just saw today that Neil is going to be doing his own take on Jack Kirby’s Eternals. The premise is that the Eternals are immortal beings that formed the “real life” models for the Greek and Roman gods.

On the “so sad” movie front, don’t forget The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Man, was that one dumbed-down or what? The studios must really think we’re idiots…

I know we had a thread about this recently, but League is from the same cat that did From Hell and V for Vendetta. You get slam-bam action along with a lesson in Victorian and Edwardian literature.

My personal favorites:

1. V for Vendetta (when the detective reads from the diary about V’s stay and escape from the concentration camp, awesome!)
    2.The Watchmen
    3.Miracleman (hard and expensive to find but just as good as Watchmen).
    4.Preacher (whole series)
    5.Punisher (MAX series by Garth Ennis)
    6.Sandman
    7.Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

[quote]CC wrote:
Digital Chainsaw wrote:
Some trivia us geeks may or may not know: The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic started out in the early-mid eighties as a mature reader (well, teens and up) comic! The pages were in black-and-white (later colorized in TPBs), but the covers were color, so you could see what the intended colors were. All of the turtles had red masks and no pupils, just white slits to make them look bad-ass. There was fairly graphic blood and even mild swearing.

I seem to remember that somewhere way back in that storage cabinet called the brain. It just seemed like TMNT had a much seedier element to it when I was much younger, but I guess I, like everyone else, had kind of forgotten about it once the cartoon and toys became big. Heck, even the first live-action movie was much darker than the later films. They got really cheesy starting with the second one (yes, I still loved them).

I actually still have an old TMNT one-shot in my collection that was a tribute to Bruce Lee. It was a pretty cool story where the turtles go to Hong Kong and meet this guy “Lee” (get it? They went out on a limb with that one…). The guy’s uncle gets his store burned down by some crooks who work for this underground fighter who Lee refuses to fight. This obviously baits Lee into fighting the guy and the turtles help. Bad-assery ensues. Anyway, the point of my bringing it up is that even that one-shot has a fair bit of blood in it, seemingly much different from the later stuff.

EDIT: Sweet. Found a site where you can actually read the first two issues of TMNT (the originals) online. Scroll to the bottom of the page, pretty easy to find:

Oddly enough, that site seems to list every TMNT comic ever printed, yet mine (that I described above) is nowhere to be found. I think it’s a conspiracy…

EDIT II:

Nevermind, I found it after all. Seems it was a little different than I remember. I realize I’m kind of talking to myself here now, but this thread is conjuring up so many great memories for me and encouraging me to go out and make some more. I think I’m going to have to start following a few books regularly again. Thanks to the OP for this thread. It’s been fun.

[/quote]

Awesome, man! Thanks for the link! Glad to know I didn’t just dream the whole thing. I’ve got the Donatello, Leonardo, and Raphael one-shots as well.

[quote]simon-hecubus wrote:

On the “so sad” movie front, don’t forget The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Man, was that one dumbed-down or what? The studios must really think we’re idiots…

[/quote]

Never read the comic, but I read the novel The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde, and Mr. Hyde is described as a twisted, hairy dwarf, not The Hulk’s older brother. Where do they come up with this stuff?

Marvel needs to do a TPB of the Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy Master of Kung Fu books… at least that “final” Fu Manchu arc in #s 40-51.

With more than a small nod to Steranko, Gulacy took Cinematic comics to the next level.

Harris, this thread is tailor-made for you! Where are you?

Well, I did it. I took the plunge, went to the local comic shop, and started my “folder”. It’s a great concept, and probably quite common in the comic book world. I remember doing it at my neighborhood shop when I was a kid. You just fill out a form with your personal info and you can have as many books as you wish set aside for you as they come out each month.

Right now I’m only “subscribing” to two books, Witchblade and Fathom (Michael Turner’s pet project after he left Witchblade). I’m mostly just going back and buying up old TPBs and issues of those so I can try to catch up.

Afterwards, I’ll get cracking on some of the books mentioned here. I’m very interested in getting into some of the more mature material like Watchmen, Frank Miller stuff, etc. The new Marvel Civil War stuff looks pretty promising, as well.