Comic Book Geeks?

I don’t have any sites for hard-to-find comics but you can always scout the back issue bends at various comicons.

Scott Tipton’s Comics 101 blog is pretty good read and if you read the articles about specific characters he often points out the must-read stuff.

Current Comics 101 Archive on their new site:
http://www.comics101.com/archives/comics101/archives.php

And the old site. Because the new site’s archive is kind of wonky.
http://www.quickstopentertainment.com/comics101/archives.html

He wrote a 9-part article series on Batman. That should get you nearly up to date and give you some decent reading suggestions.

I just read 30 Days Of Night. I was thoroughly impressed. Now I’m gonna have to read the rest of the series.

I second the Preacher and Y: The Last Man recommendations and add:
Fables by Bill Wallingham
100 Bullets by Brian Azarello
Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb
Superman: Man For Tomorow by Brain Azarello
Hellboy by Mike Mignola
Fathom by Mike Turner
Conan by Kurt Busiek
Lone Wolf & Cub by Kazuo Koike. Dark Horse has the entire series in its original format but with english translation and structured for left to right reading.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
No talk of “Watchmen”?!

The greatest of all time. One that truely deserves the moniker “graphic novel”.

From my very limited perspective…[/quote]

I know that’s the general consensus. I don’t disagree with that. To me Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns are great in the same way Freebird and Stairway To Heaven are great Classic Rock. However I would rather listen to Sweet Home Alabama and Immigrant Song. For my time and reading I prefer Kingdom Come and V For Vendetta.

[quote]Bujo wrote:
duffyj2 wrote:
No talk of “Watchmen”?!

The greatest of all time. One that truely deserves the moniker “graphic novel”.

From my very limited perspective…

I know that’s the general consensus. I don’t disagree with that. To me Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns are great in the same way Freebird and Stairway To Heaven are great Classic Rock. However I would rather listen to Sweet Home Alabama and Immigrant Song. For my time and reading I prefer Kingdom Come and V For Vendetta.[/quote]

Kingdom Come is GREAT.

[quote]Otep wrote:
I love me some Vertigo. I think this is because I just haven’t been exposed to too much regular comic heroes.
[/quote]

Quoted for epic truth. Vertigo is amazing!

Preacher
Y: The Last Man
100 Bullets

are all highly recommended. Preacher, especially, should be mandatory reading.

Seconding “The Boys.”

For where to start with modern Batman, fuck if I know. DC has apparently cancelled my subscription, and I have yet to make it across town to the comic shop to figure out who the Black Glove is (I destroy he who spoils). Start with batman and son, skip the Res. of the Demon’s Head, and keep going.

Immortal Iron fist - start with the beginning of the series. Does martial arts and neo-noir something awesome.

For old stuff, I highly recommend the Tekno-Comix run. I’ve got the whole Teknophage series, trying to locate the last half of the Mr. Hero, Wheel of Worlds books. Heard a rumor a while back that the rights to Gaiman’s share of the Tekno peeps was soon to be expired . . .

The original Thunderbolts series.

I just picked up two compilations of Savage Sword of Conan, that was that big black and white comic from the 70s and 80s. I love that stuff!

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

ah man… I probably have about 3000 comics, mostly from the 80’s. I loved the old X-Men, Spiderman, What-Ifs, Avengers, Conan, Warlord, Micronauts, and Red Sonja.

I should sell those things before they get beat up.

if you are collecting it can be expensive, if it is just to read, you can get bundled graphic novels that take a series and put it together into one book. Or if you don’t care about condition you can buy cheap comics on eBay. They will sell them in lots of 25 or so.

I still like X-Men

[/quote]

I can’t believe you read the Micronauts comic book, OG. I used to play with them when I was little, then I read the comic when it came out. That’s funny.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
I’m terrible, I just go to Barnes and Noble and hang out for a couple hours reading comics.[/quote]

haha I do that too, “the drako” is also a good uncanny x-men one by the way

I finally won a set of Watchmen! Excited to get those now. I’m bidding on 100 Bullets and Y The Last Man now, hopefully I win, then I’m out of extra cash for a few weeks.

I read a few things last night, best one was ‘The Cleaners’, I’d recommend it to you guys, its about crime scene cleaner with some cool stuff about to happen it seems.

AshyLarry,

Are you in Rochester? (You mentioned Comics Etc.)
I’ve got about 10x the number that OG has, but the majority were purchased before it was de rigeur to bag and board them, and now I can’t afford what it would take. C’est la vie!

A couple years ago I broke myself of a $250/month habit; now I just pick up a few things for an idle hour’s reading each week.

If you can find “Planetary” by Warren Ellis, under the Wildstorm imprint, you’re in for a treat. The series completed a while ago, with one “Epilogue” chapter yet to come (the artist has been bogged down with other work).

Welcome to the obsession. I mean, the other obsession.

Yep, I’m in Rochester.

I’ll put Planetary on the list for sure, I looked it up and looks interesting.

I thought this was going to be a “cheap” obsession, but after this week I’m beginning to think that’s not so…

I’m scared to think of how much I spent so far…

Here’s a new (local) retro-comic and action figure:

Commander X (Prof X’s cousin??)

Who Says They Don’t Make Heroes Like They Used To? Maine’s Own Commander X Mego-Style Action Figure Debuts With Free Downloadable Comic Book

PORTLAND, ME - Nemo Publishing has released a limited edition Mego-style action figure of the retro hero Commander X. Commander X is an integral character in Jay Piscopo’s new all-ages graphic novel series, “The Undersea Adventures of Capt’n Eli.”

I regularly read:

Walking Dead
Crossed
The Boys
Kick Ass!
Invincible

I’m reading a book (fictional) about the genesis of comic books at the moment. It’s called "“The adventures of Kavalier and Clay”; it’s quite brilliant.

I’ll probably go on a comic reading spree after I’m finished.

I’ll check out that book if I can find it.

I’ve been on a comic binge since I made this post originally. I’ve bought around 200 comics since and am working my through all of them. I just finished Y the last man. I really liked that a lot. Next up is 100 bullets, I’m half way through American Virgin as well. Then I have just a bunch of other stuff to read.

Anyone else grabbing some of these Obama variant Spider-man’s coming out next week?