Comic Book Geeks?

I recently have become fascinated in Comics, I’m not sure why. I’m looking for recommendations on good websites to buy older stuff (not like super old but recent) as well as just good sites in general about comics. Google gave me a few but I’m looking for maybe some really cool not easy to find ones. Let me know where to go! Oh and if you reading recommendations I’m all ears.

This was the first book I ever read about comics: http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9780060976255/Understanding_Comics/index.aspx

ah man… I probably have about 3000 comics, mostly from the 80’s. I loved the old X-Men, Spiderman, What-Ifs, Avengers, Conan, Warlord, Micronauts, and Red Sonja.

I should sell those things before they get beat up.

if you are collecting it can be expensive, if it is just to read, you can get bundled graphic novels that take a series and put it together into one book. Or if you don’t care about condition you can buy cheap comics on eBay. They will sell them in lots of 25 or so.

I still like X-Men

If you really want to spend crap-tons of time reading and downloading almost any comic you can imagine (Like the entire run of Amazing Spider-Man 1-550+; which I deleted because I was spending too much time reading them!) go join demonoid. I can hook you up with a registration code if registration isn’t open right now.

The current x-men offering sucks. The Avengers is the place to be right now! I got brought into x-men through the animated series. I tried to start figuring out the comics, and there was all this time travel-alternate dimension-reality warping crap that I gave up on x-men.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

ah man… I probably have about 3000 comics, mostly from the 80’s. I loved the old X-Men, Spiderman, What-Ifs, Avengers, Conan, Warlord, Micronauts, and Red Sonja.

if you are collecting it can be expensive, if it is just to read, you can get bundled graphic novels that take a series and put it together into one book. Or if you don’t care about condition you can buy cheap comics on eBay. They will sell them in lots of 25 or so.

I still like X-Men

[/quote]

I told you that you should look into selling your old comics before they get ruined. What the money you make, you can stock up on Biotest supps. :slight_smile:

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I still like X-Men

I told you that you should look into selling your old comics before they get ruined. What the money you make, you can stock up on Biotest supps. :)[/quote]

They are all bagged and boarded but time still will get to them. Who doesn’t love 20-year old Warlord, X-Men or Conan comics? They are like a fine wine.

Sounds like a new years project.

and I like your thinking… . Biotest WILL be coming out with a topical caffeine type of Lean Legs product and I am all over that.

Thanks for the advice. I’m a natural collector, every hobby I have I end up collecting, I can’t help it. But I do want them for reading primarily right now. I like the format of the individual comic as opposed to the all together stuff. Not sure why. I can’t read on the computer either, after like 5-10 minutes I get a headache.

I’m bidding on the Watchmen series now hopefully I can win a set tonight.

There’s a local store here Comics Etc that has a real good rep, I’ll probably stop by this weekend see if I can find some cool stuff.

OG - shoot me a PM if/when you start selling your comics, I’ll gladly buy some from you.

Graphic Novels and trade paperbacks are the way to go.

I love me some Vertigo. I think this is because I just haven’t been exposed to too much regular comic heroes.

Reading recommendations:

Preacher
Sandman
Y: The Last Man
Transmetropolitan
HellBlazer (the Garth Ennis run. I don’t understand Jamie Delano, I really don’t).

And then I just follow those writers around. A lot of Alan Moore’s old work (watchmen, V for Vendetta) is good if and only if you’re not into art, because by modern standards, they’re ugly and hard to read, and I hate that.

Sweet thanks for the suggestions. I wiki’d them and they seem pretty cool, especially Y: The Last Man and Preacher.

I used to be into them a lot right out of high school. Now I basically read trade paperbacks and like “the walking dead” and such.

On that note, my brother actually writes a comic, call Brit, for Image comics.

It’s funny to read comic characters using phrases that I can remember my uncle saying to us when we were kids…only this time Brit is saying it to a midget in a tank who’s ass he’s about to kick.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I still like X-Men

[/quote]

Have I told you lately that you rock?

I thought what Joss Whedon did with X-men was great.

You guys have any suggestion for where to start with Batman? There’s like a ton of different series and whatnot. What’s a good place to start?

erm…OG…i love you :slight_smile:

I have the batman and Spawn comic, it’s awesome, I reccomend it, Todd McFarlane is ace though

I think the uncanny X-men are good, they got me into comics again not too long ago. I was reading my mates colection of them. “she lies with angels” is brilliant, it’s basically Romeo and Julliet but with mutants :smiley:

[quote]Subliminal-Steve wrote:

I have the batman and Spawn comic, it’s awesome, I reccomend it, Todd McFarlane is ace though

[/quote]

I too have the Spawn series, surrounded by another 2000+ comic books, all wrapped and boarded as well. The Cult Batman series was excellent as well - tremendous graphics and great story line.

Still wondering what I’m going to do with my collection. I have 2 daughters who are into the finer things in life - dresses, shoes, and shiny things. They won’t care much for vintage comics.

No talk of “Watchmen”?!

The greatest of all time. One that truely deserves the moniker “graphic novel”.

From my very limited perspective…

Spawn is good, got the first 2 graphic novels as well, going to get the others at some point.

I think Civil War is a brilliant graphic novel/comic set so that’s also worth a read

I like some of the ultimate stuff too, I have alot of the ultimate spiderman graphic novels and I have ultimate spiderman #1 comic

but no I don’t know any ‘hard to find’ websites to recommend, I go to Forbidden Planet or Reedcomics website

I’ve been sniped 5x this week for a set of Watchmen 1st prints! I’m waiting to hear on a offer I made for a set on ebay. They are #1 on my list.

I went to the store just now and picked up:
Haunted Tank #1
Wolverine: Flies to a Spider
Solomon Kane 1-3
30 Days of Night
Battlefields night Witches 1
House of Mystery 1
The Cleaners #1
Serenity 1-3

Hopefully some of them turn out cool, I read reviews on all of them so I know what to expect, but you never know.

I’ll have to make a list with your recommendations once I’m done reading all these. There’s so many damn comics I spent like 30 minutes browsing and barely saw 1/2 the store.

[quote]Subliminal-Steve wrote:
erm…OG…i love you :slight_smile:

I think the uncanny X-men are good, they got me into comics again not too long ago. I was reading my mates colection of them. “she lies with angels” is brilliant, it’s basically Romeo and Julliet but with mutants :D[/quote]

I read “she lies with angels” recently, very good, made me cry. I love anything x-men though.

I’m terrible, I just go to Barnes and Noble and hang out for a couple hours reading comics.