Comedy Central

I can’t stand these f’n shows where they rate performers in order of importance, esp the ones on VH1 (that’s a separate rant), but this show was the biggest crock of shit I’ve ever seen.

Andrew Dice Clay at 95? Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME? Diceman at #95? The only comedian who ever sold out arenas, and has some of the best selling comedy albums ever?

The guy who actually did groundbreaking work (because we all know critics LOVE to blow artists who are ground-breaking) by turning nursery rhymes into naughty ditties? The guy who has imitators working small standup clubs?
Ain’t nobody imitating Ellen DeGeneres, #16, that’s for sure.

To even consider putting Gilbert f’n Gottfried, JOAN RIVERS, Freddie Prinze, Adam Sandler,Paul Reiser, Degeneres and a good 15 comedians on the list I’ve never heard of ahead of Diceman is insane. 'Not to mention Shandling, the unfunniest comedian ever.

What, DeGeneres gets extra props because she’s lesbo?

ANyway, my personal beef aside, there are tons of flaws with the list. Roseanne at 9? Seinfeld at 12?

Look, just becuase a performer went on to have succesful TV shows does not mean they were great stand-ups. Seinfeld’s my favorite sitcom ever, but his stand-up acts were only OK. “What’s the deal w/ those cocktail peanuts they give you on the plane?” is NOT great comedy.

Woody Allen at #4? Um, no. Letterman at 15? Um, no.

How do you rank Roseanne, Steve Martin and Chris Rock ahead of Eddie Murphy?

And Jeff Foxworthy deserves better than 60. The best selling comedy recording ever doesn’t count for anything? WTF have Shandling or Gottried or prinze ever done of note?

Are Dice and Foxworthy getting screwed because they had fantastic commercial success in comedy but not much in TV or film?

THe best part is, and this applies to VH1’s commentators even more, is hearing the “never were-never will be” loser comedians comment on all these other comedians. You f’n losers! Why don’t you go work on your pathetic, unsuccesful acts instead of criticizing others?

Here’s the link: http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/100greatest/list.jhtml

Dice was pretty much a one-trick pony. There wasn’t a lot of substance there.

Gary Shandling is awesome, his Gary Shandling Show (where he spoofed talk shows) is rated as one of television’s best shows ever.

Those kinds of lists usually blow, I wouldn’t get too bent out of shape.

I watched the ‘100 most awesomely bad songs ever’ on VH1. I can’t get “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” out of my freakin head. It plays over and over and over. I hate VH1

cop: you just hit a midget!

dice: oh, I thought it was just a big fucking bird! You’ll clean that up, right?

Shandling was supposed to be a comedian?

“Dice was pretty much a one-trick pony. There wasn’t a lot of substance there.”

Nope. Dice was the funniest raunchy comedian, IMO, of the last 15 yrs or so. The nursery rhymes are his most well-known “tricks”, but Dice was f’n hilarious even w/out them.

“Gary Shandling is awesome, his Gary Shandling Show (where he spoofed talk shows) is rated as one of television’s best shows ever.”

-Who is rating it? And who gives a shit who they are? I already mentioned how I feel about critics. :slight_smile:
If you like him, cool, diff’t strokes I guess. But I’ve heard anyone mention garry Shandling, much less how good his show was. IIRC he followed/preceded the Simpsons, which prob didn’t help him!

But Vroom said it best! Good one Vroom

“Those kinds of lists usually blow, I wouldn’t get too bent out of shape”

Yeah, I know. But even you have to admit that Dice at 95 is absurd. And Chris Rock, Roseanne and Woody Allen ahead of Eddie Murphy?
Getthefuckouttaheah!

Dice:
So I had my tongue up this girl’s ass the other night…

#100…Gallagher. You want this stupic piece of shit list out of here? Fuck it, it’s gone.

Arguing over comedy is futile. It’s all personal taste. Overall it’s a balanced list. My favorites are nowhere near the top. Some didn’t even make it.

I like the guy, but Dice getting in at 95 is pretty impressive considering he hasn’t had a role bigger than a cameo since 95.

You have to look at overall career success and innovation. Look at their overall impact on comedy. The top 20 all didn’t just spawn imitators, but spawned an entire new or bettered an existing genre of comedy. Even though I think only 4 of the top 20 as being remotely funny, they all belong there.

Gotta go with sugarfree on this one. You can’t really argue with others on “who’s funnier” and I personally kind of felt that whole list was based on two things over comedy alone: longevity and influence on future generations. In all honesty, Diceman didn’t break a lot of new ground. Raunchy as hell, yes. Funnier than shit, hell yes. But new and exciting, not really…A lot of people, myself included, got burned out on him pretty fast. The people who made that list know a lot more about the business side and the standup circuits than we as viewers will ever know, something I thing we got just a glimpse of from their discussions at the table during the special.

On a side note, ranting is one of the last freedoms we have left in this country, so if something pisses you off fire away! :slight_smile:

P.S. Before I get any of you hardcore politicos in here started about freedom, our country, or how great the democrats or republicans are and that I should be grateful for what I have…that last comment was a joke…see? Comedy :slight_smile:

P.S.S. I’ll stick with the day job

Whoa, whoa, guys, ease up on the Shandling bashing! Being a sitcom expert (I have a certificate that says so), I can tell you ‘The Larry Sanders show’ was universally acclaimed by critics, peers and fans. Personally speaking, it is by far the best ever and was touted as a huge inspiration for the brilliant ‘the office’ by it’s writer Ricky Gervais.
The perforamces by Jeffrey Tambor (Hank) and Rip Torn (Artie), have been unequalled, unfortunaetly during its tenure it was losing in the awards stakes to friends (wtf?) and frasier (a bit more understandable).
Sorry, thats my rant over. I too agree with Sugarfree, comdey is very personal: some people appreciate good comedy and some people will laugh at anything.

I agree, comedy is subjective. Like most things in life.

Re: Gary Shandling, I love hearing about obscure shows/bands/performers who are hailed as being among the best ever, when most people who saw/heard them were not impressed and thoguht they sucked. And then these performers never go anywhere, only to fade into the backgorund.

Suddenly, years later, an up and coming artist says so-and-so was great, they were a big influence, blah blah blah, and all of a sudden an obscure performer is hailed as influential and important.

I always get a kick out of that

If you want to start getting REALLY furious, pay attention to some of VH1’s or Rolling Stone’s music-related “best song/artist/xyz” lists.

Yo dam, that’s why i said VH1 would be a separate rant. We can all do it together. Maybe later this week

teacher:andrew, what’s the difference between 4<9 & 4>9?
dice: that’s what i says teach, what’s the fuckin difference

Hickory Dickory Dock
The Bitch was suckin my COCK!

Sonny S, you said this about Garry Shandling:

Re: Gary Shandling, I love hearing about obscure shows/bands/performers who are hailed as being among the best ever, when most people who saw/heard them were not impressed and thoguht they sucked. And then these performers never go anywhere, only to fade into the backgorund.

Shandling might be obscure to YOU, but the guy had two shows that were deemed groundbreaking and influential: “It’s Garry Shandling’s Show” on FOX in the late 80s, and then the “Larry Sanders Show” on HBO for about 6 seasons. “Sanders” is a legendary show that practically re-invented the sitcom as we know it. “most people” who “saw or heard” this show very very impressed by it, which explains it longevity, high ratings, and the numerous “A List” stars who wanted to appear on it.

You are of course entitled to you opinions, but base them on reality, please! Dice Clay was funny for about 5 minutes in the 80s. Talk about “fading into the backgound”: Dice Clay hit his peak in 1988 or so, and his career was DOA after "Ford Fairlaine’ in 1990. He’s lucky he didn’t get edged out by Gallagher on that list!

I thought Dice was funny once; mainly because I was 12 years old. Selling out arenas doesn’t mean you’re funny, it only means you appeal to the lowest common denominator. Don’t forget that the vast majority of the population are boorish meatheads.
Larry Sanders show: for ages 12 and up.
Woody Allen’s older films had some funny material, his new stuff isnt the same.
Underrated funny guy: Albert Brooks.
Best black comic: I’ll take Dave Chappelle over Chris Rock for various reasons.

If I run across them, I’ll give Shandling another shot but from what I saw, they were woefully unfunny.

Again if the format was groundbreaking fine, they were an inspiration. But just because a show was “groundbreaking” doesn’t mean it was GOOD.
Again, Diceman broke new ground as well.

Reality is that in the US, commercial success and fame is what counts, and Diceman had tremendous success in record sales and live shows but not in TV and movies.
Maybe because his movies and TV show flopped he got downgraded?

I have a feeling its because he doesn’t add in social commentary to his routines.

Still doesn’t explain Jeff Foxworthy at 60 though. Or Ellen f’n Degeneres.