Comeback Routine

Hey guys,
I’m about to start lifting again after taking some time off due to severe overtraining. How should I structure my routine in terms of reps and sets and rest periods. I normally make my own routines but i know if i make one myself this time I’ll end up right back where i am. Any advice or ideas would help.

bump…anyone?

Give CW’s Triple Total Training a try. I haven’t used it personally but CW himself used it to get back into training after being out of the gym for a while.

If you dont like that then take some time and review the articles in the archives. There are numerous pre-planned routines to choose from. Pick one you like and have at it.

It’s a good bet that Joe DeFrancos “Westside for skinny Bastards” would work well. It’s not strictly a powerlifters routine. It’s really Westsides’ template manipulated into a routine for serious athletes… football players especially. The volume is not very high and it’s arranged in such a way that you can modify it and still stay true to the principles.

I used the TTT and I would recommend it. My strength came back quickly after a lay off due to an injury.

How taxing are these programs CNS wise. My state of overtraining was bad enough that effected my sleep, made my morning heart rate soar, and gave me pwo anxiety. I’m looking for a program that will ease me back into things.

[quote]jakewnet44 wrote:
How taxing are these programs CNS wise. My state of overtraining was bad enough that effected my sleep, made my morning heart rate soar, and gave me pwo anxiety. I’m looking for a program that will ease me back into things.[/quote]

I just read CW’s TTT routine again and he basically says that he wrote this routine with the newbie or deconditioned individual in mind. Therefore, it shouldn’t be that taxing to your system. I’m actually thinking about giving it a go myself. I developed a nasty case of bronchitis a few weeks ago and took some time off to recover and get better for the holidays. Plus I have some nagging aches and pains so this might be a good time for me to not push so hard and slow down a little.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

what if i went back to a regular split using Ian Kings priciples(i.e. 10-20 sets a workout, etc)? i know he designs his programs to prevent overtrainign as much as possible