Combining Powerlifting and Metcon while Learning Olympic Weightlifting

Hello I would like to improve my big 3 and my conditioning while learning the olympic lifts (I do not master the snatch).

Are there any routines for this?
If not what would be a good one?

Thank you in advance

Shayann

@glennpendlay has a program for this goal. Well, perhaps not the conditioning.

What’s your current height, weight, and general bodyfat?

By “improve my conditioning”, do you mean fat loss or endurance?

What are your best PRs on the big 3?

Have you trained the Olympic lifts at all or are you brand new to them? If you’ve done them before, what are your PRs?

Basically, there’s zero context about what you can currently do, so we need more info to design an appropriate plan. If you’re a total beginner in everything, then any basic strength program that includes most of the big lifts will be fine. If you’re more intermediate, then it’s a matter of prioritizing what needs more work.

What does this mean? You don’t want to train the snatch? Or you haven’t mastered it yet?

Hello Sir,
And thank you so much for your answer.
Here are my height and weight
1m77
72kg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7dRNAQIyMtcTklaMUlRYTJsQ00 here are picture of my current physique

By improving conditioning i meant more explosive strength speed and quickness

My PR are the following

Squat 140kg
Bench 95kg
Deadlift 150kg

I have only trained the olympic lifts for a few month and have not done PR
I usually train the clean with sets of 8reps at 50kg and Jerked 68kg for 1

What I meant is that I am still a bit unsure about the snatch technique

I’m sure there’s a crossfit box near you that would gladly destroy your shoulders for $200/month

2 Likes

Check out Alpha/Brian Alsruhe’s logs here in the logs section and his youtube channel

1 Like

You really need to slow down and figure out your actual goals.

So far, you want to do powerlifting and metcon work and Olympic lifting and compete in Physique shows:

Prioritize and set some specific goals with specific timelines to reach them, and then you can figure out a plan to get there. Trying to do everything at once is a great way to end up being crappy in all of them.

i thought that having a physique could be attained through strength work and conditioning which is what metcon and powerlifting are am i wrong

so you want to get muscular and lean and strong on the power lifts and good at the Olympic lifts? And at small weight and not great lifts. Good luck. You’d probably be better off with picking one, maybe 2 major goals, as long as they don’t contradict each other. The metcon is probably antithetical to all over your other goals at this stage.

I understand, strong is my priority.

like one of the previous posters said, check out Brian alsruhe’s log for condiitioning ideas. If you are looking to work the big the big three and the olympic lifts the template i would use is what alex viada suggests (endurance and strength athlete with elite total and 4:15 mile time).

Day 1 ME Lower change main every week to one of the following

squat
deadlift
front squat
box deadlift
overhead squat
snatch grip deadlift

followed by 3 assistance exercises (i would suggest either higher reps of the main movement like brian alsruhe does from time to time or sldl and single leg movers.

ME upper

CG Bench
Strict Press
Floor press
Push Press
Incline Press
Split Jerk

I would really follow what Brian Alruhe does on these days guy can press for days.

On your dynamic effort days you will be doing 8x2 on clean and snatch working up in weight each week as you get more comfortable. percentages are not necessary if you are new to the lifts. Also these lifts are the definition of dynamic movement.

Upper dynamic with your lifts being lower then what i believe your potential could be, i would suggest westside for skinny bastards style going for high reps instead of speed. Gotta build the muscle to lift the weight. I know my explanations are a little rushed but with a little of your own research youll get what Im saying.

research points:
conjugate method (concurrent method)
westside for skinny bastards part 3
Brian Alsruhe at NeverSate Athletics

@ActivitiesGuy care to take the stage on Viada?

Sure thing.

Viada’s coaching may well be fine - I am not here to comment specifically on that - but the “elite lifter with a 4:15 mile time” which is often cited to give him credibility is dubious at best and has been picked apart in various reddit threads and runners’ forums. Some of his lifts are documented with video; not quibbling with those, it’s mostly his running claims which are ludicrous and almost entirely unsubstantiated. To my knowledge there is no record of him completing an ultramarathon (despite several articles and interviews that tout him as a guy with a 700-pound squat that also runs ultramarathons) and he has recorded race times that would qualify as impressive - he has like one 26-minute 5K a couple years ago (that’s about an 8:45 per mile pace, which is “just a random dude out for a jog” speed, not elite athlete stuff) and a 4-hour marathon. Most of his running claims are “I ran this alone on a trail, my GPS watch said I ran a 4:15 mile” (which anyone with some running experience knows can be inaccurate by accident or fudged intentionally) but the truth is a guy who was legitimately capable of a 4:15 mile would jump into a race at least somewhere along the line, right? He’s never even bothered to run a weekend 5K? If you’re capable of a 4:15 mile, you can easily run a sub-20 minute 5K (and really should be able to run a 15-16 minute 5K).

TL;DR version - Viada might be a fine coach, is probably a good lifter, and there’s basically no evidence at all of his claims as an endurance athlete. There’s more evidence online of my running exploits than there is of Viada’s.

2 Likes

hey guys, I was just giving a suggestion using info i had read before. I dont know what any of these guys did in their private lives but was simply giving credit i had read the template using olympic lifts as dynamic lower movements because i had not created the idea and did not want to take credit for what i believed to be a good idea which i had read. ( like re telling a joke to your friends you seen on netflix and claiming its yours). I didnt suggest his conditioning strategies i suggested brian alsruhes because his are proven by the members of his gym and i had run a sub 20 minute 5k myself 1921 to be exact and did not see much fall off at all by following one of brians personalized programs that involved little running.
The lifter on this site is new by his numbers and this is a way to have fun with it and get in the work you want without going beyond your means as long as you are mentally ready.

Hey, that’s all fine. I have no beef with you, I do have a beef with Viada continually being cited as an “elite lifter with a 4:15 mile” - it’s basically fraud that he’s appeared in all the articles and interviews and let the illusion continue that he’s some sort of running and lifting prodigy.

i feel ya man no worries. btw i like your log. keeping true to your real goals. i dig it. keep on keepin on

btw just watched moana with my kids. disney is upping their game to field of dreams status lol

thank you but not sure i understand how to implement it and in what order what should i do first etc

i have the same info available as you. are you saying i am smarter then you because i dont think i am.

like one of the previous posters said, check out Brian alsruhe’s log for condiitioning ideas. If you are looking to work the big the big three and the olympic lifts the template i would use is what alex viada suggests (endurance and strength athlete with elite total and 4:15 mile time).

Day 1 ME Lower change main every week to one of the following

squat
deadlift
front squat
box deadlift
overhead squat
snatch grip deadlift

followed by 3 assistance exercises (i would suggest either higher reps of the main movement like brian alsruhe does from time to time or sldl and single leg movers.

ME upper

CG Bench
Strict Press
Floor press
Push Press
Incline Press
Split Jerk

I would really follow what Brian Alruhe does on these days guy can press for days.

On your dynamic effort days you will be doing 8x2 on clean and snatch working up in weight each week as you get more comfortable. percentages are not necessary if you are new to the lifts. Also these lifts are the definition of dynamic movement.

Upper dynamic with your lifts being lower then what i believe your potential could be, i would suggest westside for skinny bastards style going for high reps instead of speed. Gotta build the muscle to lift the weight. I know my explanations are a little rushed but with a little of your own research youll get what Im saying.

research points:
conjugate method (concurrent method)
westside for skinny bastards part 3
Brian Alsruhe at NeverSate Athletics

like where do the dynamic effort and where do main lifts go an for how many sets and reps whats the format