T Nation

Combining Creatine and Muscle Milk

I am new to the world of supplements. What are the likely results of combining the aforementioned products, regarding safety/effectivness? Also, the protein supplement contains 16g’s of protein per scoop, so would 2 scoops be the appropriate amount for me? Does my activity that day(e.g.Lifting/running) have bearing on the amount I ingest?

The directions for the muscle milk state that it should be mixed in water but I wonder if I can/ should/shouldn’t mix the two(The other being creatine MDH) into another beverage e.g. milk?

I am 5’9 and 170lbs, and I am an aspiring Infantrymen in the US Army, so my programming reflects the physical requirements of my chosen profession. I am currenty using an alternating 3 to 2 split, where one week I will be in the weightroom 3 or 2 days(M-deadlift/pulling movemnent, assistance work, upper body,W-Squat/Lower body focus,upper body,F-Crossfit or strongman type workout) and 2 or 3 days of running(Sprints, hill training, anywhere from 1 mile fast paced runs to 10 mile endurance runs, and more combat applicable exercises such as rucksack marches over rough terrain.

Tactical athletes by nature can’t afford to specialize, rather they are forced to be a "Jack of all trades. Its my goal therefore to become the best overall athlete that I can. My apologies for the length of this post and being off topic in some regards. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and welcome. Thank you for your time and wisdom in advance.
Sincerily,
Legionary

safe - yes
effective - yes
could have used the search function - yes

The search function was a thought but I felt that presenting my specific fitness goals and situation would be more beneficial. Your respponse is rather vague though. Thank you anyway. Any other thoughts and perspectives would be greatly appreciated.

Mixing them is fine, it’s just protein and creatine, safe and effective supps with tons of research and anecdotal support. Mixing with milk is fine if it fits your caloric needs.

On days you’re more active you’ll want more protein.

It’s fine to do that.

[quote]Legionary wrote:
The search function was a thought but I felt that presenting my specific fitness goals and situation would be more beneficial. Your respponse is rather vague though. Thank you anyway. Any other thoughts and perspectives would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

If you are indeed a robot or some sort of protocol droid as your verbiage suggests, than liquids and powders are probably not optimal.

This section of the site needs a stickied creatine thread.

[quote]Legionary wrote:
I am new to the world of supplements. What are the likely results of combining the aforementioned products, regarding safety/effectivness? Also, the protein supplement contains 16g’s of protein per scoop, so would 2 scoops be the appropriate amount for me? Does my activity that day(e.g.Lifting/running) have bearing on the amount I ingest? [/quote]

It is perfectly safe. Creatine and protein powder has absolutely no toxicity. I promise:)

Yes, obviously, if you are lifting you will want to consume protein. The amount you consume at once will have no negative effects. That is purely up to you. How much protein powder do YOU want to consume?

[quote]
The directions for the muscle milk state that it should be mixed in water but I wonder if I can/ should/shouldn’t mix the two(The other being creatine MDH) into another beverage e.g. milk? [/quote]

Why would this be an issue? It’s perfectly fine. You’ll just have a thicker shake with more calories that will probably taste better.

[quote]

I am 5’9 and 170lbs, and I am an aspiring Infantrymen in the US Army, so my programming reflects the physical requirements of my chosen profession. I am currenty using an alternating 3 to 2 split, where one week I will be in the weightroom 3 or 2 days(M-deadlift/pulling movemnent, assistance work, upper body,W-Squat/Lower body focus,upper body,F-Crossfit or strongman type workout) and 2 or 3 days of running(Sprints, hill training, anywhere from 1 mile fast paced runs to 10 mile endurance runs, and more combat applicable exercises such as rucksack marches over rough terrain.

Tactical athletes by nature can’t afford to specialize, rather they are forced to be a "Jack of all trades. Its my goal therefore to become the best overall athlete that I can. My apologies for the length of this post and being off topic in some regards. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and welcome. Thank you for your time and wisdom in advance.
Sincerily,
Legionary[/quote]

All of the rest of your post is completely irrelevant to your questions. Don’t over think things. :slight_smile:

[quote]Legionary wrote:
I am new to the world of supplements. What are the likely results of combining the aforementioned products, regarding safety/effectivness? Also, the protein supplement contains 16g’s of protein per scoop, so would 2 scoops be the appropriate amount for me? Does my activity that day(e.g.Lifting/running) have bearing on the amount I ingest?

The directions for the muscle milk state that it should be mixed in water but I wonder if I can/ should/shouldn’t mix the two(The other being creatine MDH) into another beverage e.g. milk?

I am 5’9 and 170lbs, and I am an aspiring Infantrymen in the US Army, so my programming reflects the physical requirements of my chosen profession. I am currenty using an alternating 3 to 2 split, where one week I will be in the weightroom 3 or 2 days(M-deadlift/pulling movemnent, assistance work, upper body,W-Squat/Lower body focus,upper body,F-Crossfit or strongman type workout) and 2 or 3 days of running(Sprints, hill training, anywhere from 1 mile fast paced runs to 10 mile endurance runs, and more combat applicable exercises such as rucksack marches over rough terrain.

Tactical athletes by nature can’t afford to specialize, rather they are forced to be a "Jack of all trades. Its my goal therefore to become the best overall athlete that I can. My apologies for the length of this post and being off topic in some regards. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and welcome. Thank you for your time and wisdom in advance.
Sincerily,
Legionary[/quote]

Not only is combining muscle milk with creatine safe, they already do it and call it Monster Milk. I personally would not reccomend muscle milk for a protein because it’s cost ineffective, it has no BCAAs, it’s one of the least lean proteins, and is a mixture of whey and casein while you want to focus on whey ( for its fast digesting qualities) in a post workout.

Quick question though… You don’t talk like somebody who is about to become a grunt in the army. Do you have a college education or have you considered one?

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Legionary wrote:
The search function was a thought but I felt that presenting my specific fitness goals and situation would be more beneficial. Your respponse is rather vague though. Thank you anyway. Any other thoughts and perspectives would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

If you are indeed a robot or some sort of protocol droid as your verbiage suggests, than liquids and powders are probably not optimal.[/quote]
/sarcasm.
yes, do that. it’s fine.

Maybe an officer?

Don’t forget though that in the military bodyweight exercises are what most of your PT will consist of. It’s fine and probably a good idea to put on some meat before you leave for basic/AIT, but also spend some time getting familiar with bodyweight exercises. Learn how to do the pushup (and variations), pullup, situps, flutterkicks etc.

Especially during basic you will be put through lots of muscle endurance (getting the shit smoked out of you). If you prepare by only doing weight training, you won’t have the stamina to knock out 50+ pushups repeatedly.

What I suggest (and did) was start to taper my training more towards the military focused stuff about the last 4-6 weeks out. Go and find some good pullup, pushup, and situp (yes people have to do situps!) training articles and get to know the tricks of how to push yourself through the high reps.

If you go to military.com, Stew Smith has some great articles on preparing for boot camp etc.

A kick ass workout he advocates is a pushup, pullup, situp, 400m sprint circuit.

The goal is 200 pushups, 100 pullups, and 300 situps total. You do these three exercises in succession, followed by a 400m sprint. Take a short rest and repeat until you reach the total’s.

Good luck, and make sure you at least go Airborne.

Oh, and as far as food, just make sure you eat a lot of clean calories. Creatine is great, but you can’t use it while you’re in training, so it wouln’t kill you to leave this out.
Learning to run while calling cadence is something that takes practice for some people. It wouldn’t hurt to learn how to do that either.

[quote]cdubs wrote:
it has no BCAAs
[/quote]

Do you even know what BCAA’s are? If a protein is complete, then it contains branched-chain amino acids.

[quote]cdubs wrote:
…you want to focus on whey ( for its fast digesting qualities) in a post workout.
[/quote]

Is digestion speed really that important? Especially if you’ve been eating a high protein diet all day up until that point? What makes you think that your blood amino acid levels are going to suddenly plummet?

Oh what the fuck !

[quote]redleg32002000 wrote:
Maybe an officer?

Don’t forget though that in the military bodyweight exercises are what most of your PT will consist of. It’s fine and probably a good idea to put on some meat before you leave for basic/AIT, but also spend some time getting familiar with bodyweight exercises. Learn how to do the pushup (and variations), pullup, situps, flutterkicks etc.

Especially during basic you will be put through lots of muscle endurance (getting the shit smoked out of you). If you prepare by only doing weight training, you won’t have the stamina to knock out 50+ pushups repeatedly.

What I suggest (and did) was start to taper my training more towards the military focused stuff about the last 4-6 weeks out. Go and find some good pullup, pushup, and situp (yes people have to do situps!) training articles and get to know the tricks of how to push yourself through the high reps.

If you go to military.com, Stew Smith has some great articles on preparing for boot camp etc.

A kick ass workout he advocates is a pushup, pullup, situp, 400m sprint circuit.

The goal is 200 pushups, 100 pullups, and 300 situps total. You do these three exercises in succession, followed by a 400m sprint. Take a short rest and repeat until you reach the total’s.

Good luck, and make sure you at least go Airborne. [/quote

I haven’t neglected the PT aspect. Im at around a 270 total on my apft right now, maxing everthing but those damn situps haha. Could always be better though. Pullups and it’s variations are a big part of my routine as well, weighted and bodyweight. And to answer a few questions I am 19 YOA and have no college education, scored a AFQT score of 95, however I plan on attending school full time after my first enlistment. I am striving for an 11x/option 40 contract(Ranger)

[quote]Legionary wrote:

I haven’t neglected the PT aspect. Im at around a 270 total on my apft right now, maxing everthing but those damn situps haha. Could always be better though. Pullups and it’s variations are a big part of my routine as well, weighted and bodyweight. And to answer a few questions I am 19 YOA and have no college education, scored a AFQT score of 95, however I plan on attending school full time after my first enlistment. I am striving for an 11x/option 40 contract(Ranger)[/quote]

Do you happen to live in the broome county area?

Because you sound an awful lot like somebody I know…

and I work for the same company as this person…

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Oh what the fuck ! [/quote]

i bet snappy answers for stupid questions was your favorite section of mad magazine.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Legionary wrote:
The search function was a thought but I felt that presenting my specific fitness goals and situation would be more beneficial. Your respponse is rather vague though. Thank you anyway. Any other thoughts and perspectives would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

If you are indeed a robot or some sort of protocol droid as your verbiage suggests, than liquids and powders are probably not optimal.[/quote]

After seeing your post I re read his in a robot voice… It was way funnier… Way more funny…way funniest… Yeah way more funnier that way.

“errrr does not compute. Does not compute.”

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

[quote]Legionary wrote:

.

Do you happen to live in the broome county area?

Because you sound an awful lot like somebody I know…

and I work for the same company as this person…

[/quote]

No I am from Texas. Outside of San Antonio.

[quote]Legionary wrote:

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

[quote]Legionary wrote:

.

Do you happen to live in the broome county area?

Because you sound an awful lot like somebody I know…

and I work for the same company as this person…

[/quote]

No I am from Texas. Outside of San Antonio.[/quote][/quote]

Ok. You sounded eerily similar to a very good friend of mine. Same stats, same career choice, etc.