T Nation

Combining Bumper Plates with Iron Plates

Up until several weekends ago the olympic lifts were foreign to me. This was because I was spending the past 6 months training specifically for WNPF nationals and then worlds. I won worlds and set two WR’s (squat-450 and DL-550) With only just turning 16 and realizing most of the years of high testosterone levels have yet to come, I decided I will try my luck with olympic lifts.

Being 16 and having very limited income from a part time job, I was wondering if anyone had tried combining bumper and iron plates. I currently lift at a local LA Fitness, and the only powerlifting/olympic lifting gyms in my area are 30-45 minutes away.

I’m considering buying some bumper plates. I’ve heard that you can use the two together as long as the diameter of the iron plates are less than tha of the bumper plates, and also that you do not exceed the weight of the bumper plates with iron plates on each side of the barbell. If you have tried this or have any knowledge of it with better sources than just googling it let me know. Thanks in advance.

hitechplates

These could be an option for you, especially if you don’t have home gym space. You can load them with some amount of iron plates. There’s a video around of people dropping them with maybe 25lbs or so of iron plates on the side or something on them. Those you could bring in a gym bag to your current gym no problem.

Anyway, I don’t know anything on the matter besides you can use iron 2.5s, 5s, 10s, without any issues. At my gym, during the brief time they had bumper plates, they only crappy spring collars and crappy bench bars, so the only way the plates would ever be tight with a collar on is with a 2.5 or 5 on them.

In any case, worry about form, if you’re not doing this already. Spend a week or so with a broomstick videotaping yourself and getting technique and flexibility down. Then move to a bare bar/technique plates. I know, because I had the mentality of “YAY I WANNA LIFT HEAVY STUFF OVER MY HEAD NOW” and now am stuck with bad technique I have to correct by doing stuff with a broom stick/bare bar, it’s better to take the time now and really drill in good technique rather than doing it later. If you’re already doing this, then sorry for the lecture, but yeah.

Hey, you can use the two together if the iron plates are smaller dia. Spring collars I have work fine, but if you want really good ones Lock Jaw collars are brill.

I would suggest talking to your local crossfits first. You will be much more likely able to drop weights and not worry about harassment from staff. Secondly, using bumpers with iron plates, isn’t recommended unless you are using 2.5, 5, and 10 kg plates otherwise you will start needlessly wearing out the bumpers.