T Nation

Combining Aromasin & DHEA

At 40 years old, I feel a little slower to recover from workouts, slower to burn fat, and have a little lower libido. I've been considering a low-dose of Exemestane. I would take 12.5 mgs every-other-day. I'm not on cycle, I just want to keep my estrogen down, and get leaner. I know DHEA can be useful for someone over 40, but estrogen levels can rise more than testosterone on DHEA, therefore, wouldn't a low dose of exemestane keep estrogen down while keeping testosterone high while on DHEA? This combination would perhaps emulate a cycle of testosterone? I've heard of others boosting their test way up close to 1000ng/dl on exestane alone.

[quote]benchaffleck wrote:
At 40 years old, I feel a little slower to recover from workouts, slower to burn fat, and have a little lower libido. I’ve been considering a low-dose of Exemestane. I would take 12.5 mgs every-other-day. I’m not on cycle, I just want to keep my estrogen down, and get leaner. I know DHEA can be useful for someone over 40, but estrogen levels can rise more than testosterone on DHEA, therefore, wouldn’t a low dose of exemestane keep estrogen down while keeping testosterone high while on DHEA? This combination would perhaps emulate a cycle of testosterone? I’ve heard of others boosting their test way up close to 1000ng/dl on exestane alone.[/quote]

I’d get a blood test and see your various T and E levels before you take anything like that, especially an AI. That way you can see if you even need to take something powerful like an AI. IMO, without a blood test you could try hcg, clomid, etc but stepping up and potentially reducing your estrogen production by a significant amount with an AI could have the opposite effect you seek.

DHEA has many roles in the body, few are understood.

Some freely convert DHEA–>E2 in their adrenals, others not.

DHEA only increases testicular testosterone production when T production was rate limited by low DHEA. So don’t expect that DHEA will increase your T levels just because there is more.

Less E2 might increase T by reducing E2’s negative feedback signal on your HPTA.

If you want to get leaner, you need to know that your thyroid function is OK. Best way to check that is oral body temperature.

• when you first wake up, should be 97.7-97.8, higher also OK, 97.3 is a real problem
  • also should get 98.6 mid-afternoon
  • temps can be low if iodine deficient, not using iodized salt and/or vitamins listing iodine&selenium
  • read thyroid basics stick for more info
  • also see advice for new guys sticky

Thanks for the input. I’m leaning more towards using 7-keto dhea, or arimistane, instead of the dhea-exemestane combo.