Combine WSSB & Shugs' Program

Being as I am just getting back into lifting after way too long of a hiatus, I was looking at doing Defranco’s WSSB program. Then Shugs posts his new idea with a few others having the same general idea.

So I was thinking I could meld the two together and see how it works. The one flaw I see being that Defranco seems to hit each group twice in his workout. Ex; Max effort lift followed by supplemental lifts.

The second issue being the 3rd day being the rhythmn day with no lower body rhythmn specs. I figure it wouldn’t be too hard to throw together a lower body rhythmn following his general format and apply that.

Anyone think it’ll work, or at least think I should give it a go? (already started trying it)

I’m reluctant to encourage blending two different ideas or programs. It doesn’t always work out the way you hope, or as the program is written.

I suggest either doing WSSB or putting together a full-body routine similar to TTT, SFM, The Next Big Three, Ripped, Rugged Dense, etc.

Although you may be able to use some of the ideas of WSSB in a three-day-a-week full body routine, I think it will also ruin its effectiveness.

I, personally, think it’s best to use full-body routines or split routines (upper body/lower body). So following WSSB would fit in with that.

As for the extra leg day, this is what Joe DeFranco recommends:

A. Unilateral Movement - Perform 3 sets of 15 reps each leg
*Choose from the following list of exercises: (Don’t do the same exercise that you performed on your first lower body day.)
Single leg squats, back leg elevated
Barbell step-ups with knee lift
Barbell reverse lunges
Barbell reverse lunges, front foot elevated
Barbell reverse lunges, front foot elevated (with knee lift)
Low-pulley split squats, front foot elevated
Walking lunges
Speed-skater squats (1 and a half rep single leg squats)
Barbell step-ups

B. Posterior Chain / Hamstring movement - Perform 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps for TWO of the following exercises:
Glute-ham raises
Reverse hyperextensions
Seated or standing good mornings
Pull-throughs
Leg curls
Romanian deadlifts
Stability ball hamstring lifts

C. Weak Point Training - Perform 1 exercise for 3-5 sets of a lagging body part
(Common areas include upper back, external rotators, abs, grip training, etc.)

If you want a conjugate whole body program it’d be hard to pass up the tier system by jow kenn. his book (strength coaches playbook) should be in everyones library. it’s cheap ($15) covers annual periodization in a step by step format. His program incorporates WSB, OLY, HIT. It has everything.

He even shows how to incorporate/coordinate running and lifting. It’s a GEM

[quote]alphuris wrote:
I was looking at doing Defranco’s WSSB program. Then Shugs posts his new idea with a few others having the same general idea. So I was thinking I could meld the two together and see how it works.[/quote]

Generally speaking, I recommend sticking with one program at a time. It’s really the only way to judge the effectiveness of each style of training and find out what works best for you.

Thanks for the input guys. I’m figuring I’ll stick to WSSB for about 12 weeks to get a good baseline and then switch to a different program. Probably one of the meltdowns, so I can start looking good.

Then it’ll be back to strength and size.

Nate: thanks for that extra leg day workout. I’d been wondering what I should do for a second leg day. I couldn’t find that info on Franco’s site.

[quote]squattin600 wrote:
If you want a conjugate whole body program it’d be hard to pass up the tier system by jow kenn. his book (strength coaches playbook) should be in everyones library. it’s cheap ($15) covers annual periodization in a step by step format. His program incorporates WSB, OLY, HIT. It has everything.

He even shows how to incorporate/coordinate running and lifting. It’s a GEM[/quote]

Where can one purchase this book it was not listed on Amazon.

[quote]Grey Area wrote:
Nate: thanks for that extra leg day workout. I’d been wondering what I should do for a second leg day. I couldn’t find that info on Franco’s site.
[/quote]

No problem. I had found it on one of the posts he made on the forum. Then I found the same workout posted in his previous Q&A’s.

He has some great stuff!

Ah, right. Is this intended to be done on the Saturday? 2 days rest doesn’t seem much after the gruelling leg workouts he prescribes (well, okay, there’s not much to them, but they wreak my legs pretty well!).

try barnes and noble

i think it’s bn

[quote]Grey Area wrote:
Ah, right. Is this intended to be done on the Saturday? 2 days rest doesn’t seem much after the gruelling leg workouts he prescribes (well, okay, there’s not much to them, but they wreak my legs pretty well!). [/quote]

Sunday would be the correct set up.

Sunday: DE legs (repetition leg day)
Monday: ME upper body
Wednesday: ME lower body
Friday: Repetition upper body