T Nation

Combine Powerlifting and Bodybuilding

Do any guys here train as a powerlifter/bodybuilder hybrid?

I’m considering sticking with my 5/3/1, but also adding in some bodybuilding work/exercises.

My looking at his training logs, it looks like that’s what Matt Kroc does.

I would say that I train somewhat this way. Check out my log.

generally they call it powerbuilding. search it.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
I would say that I train somewhat this way. Check out my log. [/quote]

Thanks. Just checked out your log. I’m thinking of something similar, like adding in lateral raises to try to prevent weaknesses as best as I can.

I have been making good progress on 5/3/1 the past two months. The only thing I am concerned about is if I will stop making great gains when I modify the program.

Do you contribute your strength gains to the 5/3/1 setup on the main lift, or do you feel the assistance helps build those lifts. I know GM has helped my squat and deadlift a lot.

I think that the main lift set-up has certainly helped, but I also believe that my added accessory movements have really helped a ton also with strength and my body. I actually plan on adding even more accessory work this coming cycle which starts today with push-press.

[quote]The Austrian Oak wrote:

I’m considering sticking with my 5/3/1, but also adding in some bodybuilding work/exercises.

My looking at his training logs, it looks like that’s what Matt Kroc does.[/quote]

I seem to remember C_C having some kind of 5/3/1 bodybuilding template in his thread, but I don’t really remember.

Personally, when doing 5/3/1, I followed the BBB template, and that was pretty much all the accessory work I needed,but there are lots of people who have had a lot of success with adding more bodybuilding style work to the 5/3/1 template

I found that I can put on plenty of muscle just by training mainly for strength. I do throw in some direct bicep and calf work. The main thing that will make you look like a bodybuilder (even if you don’t train like one) is a clean diet.

Updated my log today to show how what changes I want to make to my training.

[quote]The Austrian Oak wrote:

My looking at his training logs, it looks like that’s what Matt Kroc does.[/quote]

Jim has said multiple times that everyone should train “Like a bodybuilder” as far as accessory work as concerned.

The only difference between a bodybuilder and a powerlifter is the powerlifter takes more singles and eats more cheeseburgers.

[quote]skizac wrote:
I found that I can put on plenty of muscle just by training mainly for strength. I do throw in some direct bicep and calf work. The main thing that will make you look like a bodybuilder (even if you don’t train like one) is a clean diet.[/quote]

x 2 big time. Diet will make someone look like a bodybuilder fully. Strength work should really improve size as well.

[quote]conorh wrote:
Jim has said multiple times that everyone should train “Like a bodybuilder” as far as accessory work as concerned.
[/quote]

For note, Jim specifies that he means train for symmetry, with his examples being things like if you train quads you should also train hams. He has in talks specified that he does not mean “train like a bodybuilder” with regard to intensity, volume and such, and I am confident that he did not mean by the phrase to do a lot of isolation work or whatever. It is advice for all lifters to include symmetry in their program, whatever they are lifting for or the other particulars of their program.

I am not saying that one ought not to add in whatever work you want (about which I have no view) – I was just clarifying the quote of Jim.

[quote]revchad wrote:
conorh wrote:

For note, Jim specifies that he means train for symmetry, with his examples being things like if you train quads you should also train hams. He has in talks specified that he does not mean “train like a bodybuilder” with regard to intensity, volume and such, and I am confident that he did not mean by the phrase to do a lot of isolation work or whatever. It is advice for all lifters to include symmetry in their program, whatever they are lifting for or the other particulars of their program.

I am not saying that one ought not to add in whatever work you want (about which I have no view) – I was just clarifying the quote of Jim.[/quote]

I’ve never read that although I don’t doubt it. I do know he has prescribed highish reps and typical “bodybuilder” rep schemes like 3-5x10 of accessory work.

[quote]revchad wrote:
conorh wrote:

I am not saying that one ought not to add in whatever work you want (about which I have no view) – I was just clarifying the quote of Jim.[/quote]

Agreed. He is also saying to train MUSCLES. NOT MOVEMENTS.

[quote]skizac wrote:
I found that I can put on plenty of muscle just by training mainly for strength. I do throw in some direct bicep and calf work. The main thing that will make you look like a bodybuilder (even if you don’t train like one) is a clean diet.[/quote]

I am always training to get stronger via progressive overload. I never to drop sets, super sets or anything like that. The only “method” I ever use is to ramp up to a top weight, along with 5/3/1 on the main lift.

I just feel that with the current 5/3/1 templates, that I will end up having some weak areas (the lack if lateral raises, calf and bicep exercises.) Also, the volume and exercise selection ends up being pretty low as well.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
skizac wrote:
I found that I can put on plenty of muscle just by training mainly for strength. I do throw in some direct bicep and calf work. The main thing that will make you look like a bodybuilder (even if you don’t train like one) is a clean diet.

x 2 big time. Diet will make someone look like a bodybuilder fully. Strength work should really improve size as well. [/quote]

I just wanna be really big and strong. I don’t need to be in contest shape. I would be happy with sitting at around 10% body fat.