T Nation

Combine PL and Martial Arts?

Hey!

I have been doing different martial arts the last 8-9 years now, the last years I have stopped competing and am currently doing Krav Maga and some shootfighting on the side. 1.5 years ago I started powerlifting and this took over most of my time and focus for a while. Now I’m coming more and more back to fighting too…

The problem is: If I do the standard volume powerlifting program swith squat, bench, deadlift three times pr week AND 3-4 martial arts workouts pr week, I soon get inflamations in joints and small injuries… When i go lower on the volume and do more West Side inspired stuff, my powerlifter-friends all go into a “you have to have volume”-frenzy How can i manage to make a effective symbiosis?

I have been thinking about putting competitive PL on the shelve (I’m just an hobby-amateur anyway) and doing more weightlifting-inspired workouts… alternative stuff combined with some heavy compounds. One hand dumbell snatches, power-cleans, squats, push-presses… I just don’t know how to set up anything in this fashion. Or not good enough anyway… :slight_smile:

Any tips towards articles here on T-Nation or otherwise would be greatly appriciated!

(and try not to let my poor english interfere, I’m trying… :wink: )

Hey,

The two just don’t mix (PL and MMA)but using snatches and other such work does. Do a search for Jeff Monson, he’s a heavyweight in UFC who does lots of weight work (and it shows)and offers a training dvd through his site. I’ve seen clips of him doing dumbell snatches and powercleans etc. Good luck.

I’ve tried to mix grappling and PL-oriented workouts before with disastruous results.

My judo classes the day after some higher-volume squatting or deadlifting were horrible. I’d literaly feel my legs giving away after a couple of minutes of randori and my lower back was incredibly sore.

I was frustrated because my lift numbers were stagnating/declining and soreness impeded my MA training, which caused even more frustration.

You have to decide whether PL or MA is your priority and set your training accordingly.

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
Hey!

I have been doing different martial arts the last 8-9 years now, the last years I have stopped competing and am currently doing Krav Maga and some shootfighting on the side. 1.5 years ago I started powerlifting and this took over most of my time and focus for a while. Now I’m coming more and more back to fighting too…

The problem is: If I do the standard volume powerlifting program swith squat, bench, deadlift three times pr week AND 3-4 martial arts workouts pr week, I soon get inflamations in joints and small injuries… When i go lower on the volume and do more West Side inspired stuff, my powerlifter-friends all go into a “you have to have volume”-frenzy How can i manage to make a effective symbiosis?

I have been thinking about putting competitive PL on the shelve (I’m just an hobby-amateur anyway) and doing more weightlifting-inspired workouts… alternative stuff combined with some heavy compounds. One hand dumbell snatches, power-cleans, squats, push-presses… I just don’t know how to set up anything in this fashion. Or not good enough anyway… :slight_smile:

Any tips towards articles here on T-Nation or otherwise would be greatly appriciated!

(and try not to let my poor english interfere, I’m trying… :wink: )[/quote]

I think you’re on the right track with dropping a full-blown PL schedule on top of MMA training.

A popular method used by MMA fighers is to do a barbell complex. Do a search for the article “The 7 Conditioning Secrets” that was posted recently for an example. The article also discusses strongman training and other things you can do for MMA conditioning and strength training.

You might try some Tier Training

You pick 3 exersices a session and build a exercise pool around 3 major types…here is a example

1. total body moves- power cleans, hang cleans, high pulls, snatches and its varieties, deadlift and its varities (sumo, defecit deads, stiff legs,RDLs, etc)

2. upper body- bench, board press, floor press, dbell bench, inclines, push press, military,

3. lower body- squats, power squats, olympic squats, box squats, low box squats, barbell step ups, lunges, sled work, good mornings, zerchers, etc

Then you have 3 tier rep cycles

1. rep method
  2. lactic acid tolerance and or dynamic training
  3. strength work

then you rotate 1 move from your exersice pool into the rep cycles. As an example-

Day1.
total body/strength work- power cleans- 5 singles at 90%
upperbody/ rep method- push press 4 sets of 8 reps at 70%
lowerbody/ lactic acid work - low box squats 12 sets of 2 reps 60% with 45 sec rest

Day2.
total body/ lactic acid work- rack pulls from knees 85% for 10 doubles 30 sec rest
upperbody/ strength work- bench press work up to a heavy set of 3 reps
lower body/ rep work - barbell lunges 4 sets of 12 reps

Day 3.
total body/ rep method - sumo deadlifts 5x5 @70%
upperbody- latic acid work dbell press 3 sets of 20+ reps to failure rest 3 - 5 minutes between sets
lowerbody/ strength work- high box power squats work up to a max set of 3-5
Then just pick new exersices from your pool for the next week and rotate.

Rowing is not neglected as it is either added in as an exercise pairing or at the end. Pick 1 movement and hit it with 3 setsX8-12 reps. The reason rowing is not made up into changing parameters is because of the time spent pulling with the total body.

This makes for a fairly quick session and for those who desire a couple extra movements for biceps and triceps can be added.

Remember not to neglect the rotator cuffs.

http://defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_03-09-05.htm#question02

Try this article. This was a sample training session for someone who is fighting MMA.

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
Hey!

You can do both at the same time, but you can only be competitive in one at a time. They’re each very demanding. I’ve used PL based lifting as my strength program for MA, and I’m stronger than most MAists, but not stronger than the competitive PLers I know. Maybe if I was independantly wealthy and didn’t have to work I’d have enough recuperation time to do both at a high level, but for a regular guy I think 65 or better, 75% of your work needs to be on just one.

Look at it this way: You can have a wife and a mistress but you can’t have two wives.

Take a look at it. www.bjjfighter.com/Conditioning/chimchim.html

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
Hey!

Hey man

I’d suggest sticking with ONE big lift per day in your gym routine and then performing remedial work for the rest of the time… Strength is still very very crucial in martial arts.

For example I compete in Judo and the previous routine I was doing was 6 sets of 5(@6RM),3(@4RM),1(@2RM),5(5RM,3(3RM),1(1RM)

I’d do that for squat, bench, deads then the following week switch to front squats, d/b or inc. bench and sumo or Snatch Grip deads. Then switch back the following week.

I’d then follow it up with 4-5 remedial or supplementary exercises.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all your input guys!

I’m going to go into the think-tank now, try to make something out of this!

again: Thanks guys! I appreciate it! I’ll come back to you when i figure out what to do!