Combat Handguns, Rigs and Positions

Pretty much the same as idaho, or what I referenced above.

For leather bullhide is a great combination of thickness, stiffness, and low cost.(Are we doing phrasing?)

I used The Beltman, but I have heard his CS has gone done considerably. I have friends who have leather belts with kydex stiffeners from

Comp-tac

http://www.comp-tac.com/kydex-reinforced-contour-belt-10511

And Crossbreed

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/HotcakesStore/CategoryViewer/tabid/112/slug/belts/Default.aspx

Both are well liked.

I generally like Magpul products and they have released a leather belt. It is likely to be my next leather gun belt purchase.

https://www.magpul.com/products/tejas

Disclosure: At least part of the reason I like Magpul products is their sense of humor.

For the range/tactical belts I like the Wilderness tactical products. They are basically just decent, thick canvas stitched together. I have a 5 stitch and it is a great balance between rigid and “too rigid”. Mine has the “Instructor” belt buckle which has an emergency clip in point, but I bought just because I think it’s cool. That may or may not be a plus for you. The Frequent Flyer model has a lower profile buckle.

Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

The advantage of these are they are pretty much “infinitely” adjustable, so holster, no holster, smaller gun, bigger gun, bulking, cutting etc. are all no issue. The disadvantage is if you tuck in your shirt you are wearing a canvas gun belt. So you get made/outed to anyone “in the know” and look like the kind of dude who wears canvas belts to those who don’t.

All of my gun belts are the 1.25" width and I haven’t had any issue getting them into belt loops, or feeling like they are unstable.

I picked the links for manufacturer info, I would check the links idaho posted, plus Brownell’s and Amazon to shop around for price.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Robert A

I believe this qualifies as an entry on carry methods:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/03/15/be-ready-new-bra-design-conceals-knife-pepper-spray-for-prot/21328387/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058&intcmp=hplnws

Are there any women shooters on this forum? If so, like to hear about your choices in handguns, training, and carry methods. Thank you

Black Rhino Concealment Holsters:

https://blackrhinoconcealment.com/product/ccs-concealed-carry-system-2/

That bra holster could win an award for “Good Idea” executed with suck, fail, and AIDS. It is a small pocket that has you drawing this 8 dollar knife

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/BEBMK027/benchmark-fingerhold-neck-knife-skinner-2-34-overall-length-nylon-belt-sheath

with a pinch grip, then threading a finger into a ring/hole.

I like short fixed blades, not so crazy about rings but that is another issue.

I like centerline carry because both hands can get to it.

If carrying a fixed blade, I really think you are missing the boat if you can’t get a master grip when first drawing the blade.

I really hate the high elbow position you have to take to draw from that top. It requires a ton of articulation at the shoulder, elbow, wrist, and a finger pinch, for a 1 5/8" fixed blade, which could get called a push dagger by a DA.

If any women are reading this and were interested in that bra/top take a look at neck knives. They are basically a small, flat or flatish fixed blade suspended by a necklace and usually held by a kydex sheath. The blade is drawn down.

Something like a para chord wrapped Izula or candiru from ESEE would be much better, more useful, more robust, and is a workable utility blade that doesn’t scream weapon. Bonus points if you use a “Brown Blade” or go too low with a “blue worm” cut with the Candiru (if you know what that animal is).

If you opt for a metal bead “break away” sheath than make sure the kydex sheath is in the “just right” zone for retention and has some way to break that tension if the neck lanyard snaps on your draw (usually just a matter of pushing the sheath off with your thumb). If you are comfortable with a non-breakaway option para chord is cheap and easily replaced, but you have to be willing to deal with a potential choke hazard.

Neck knives work especially well for women because cleavage makes a good furrow for the knife to settle in. This solves some of the “where is it” problem with drawing from non-static, non-upright positions that plague a lot of men trying to use them. “Less endowed” women still have a hell of a lot more cleavage than even obese men (who can also get a lot of mileage from neck knives for the same reason). If you want extra security you can make the necklace/chord longer and run the knife under the front of your bra/sports bra. Draw by going under and up the front of your shirt/jacket, finding the knife handle (a design that “tells” you which way the blade is facing is preferred) getting a master grip and pulling down.

While on the subject of knives, a simple folding knife with a pocket clip can be clipped inside the front of your waistband, even if you don’t have pockets. It is a little slower to draw from there than a pocket, but very doable with practice. I think Kelly McCann has it right andI “tip down” carry is preferable because it works for me with any size folder. That being said it is more rare and all of my carry folders are tip up. This slows me down when carrying anything bigger than a Delica/Native/3 inch(ish) folder.

Train Hard. Stay Safe.

Regards,

Robert A

Robert,
Really good information, I hope someone lurking will take your advise. Other than Miss Parker who was on here years ago, I haven’t read much input from women. According to an article in Combat Handguns several months ago, they are largest growing segment of gun owners. Be good to have their input on weapons and carry methods.

I have converted a few to firearms owners. Honestly, I would think women and gays would have huge numbers of carry permits and firearms in a logical world. Stats seem to show them as victims in a disproportionate number of agg assaults. I have made that point in person to a few.

I think one of the historical issues has been a lack of commercial pursuit of them as customers among firearms manufacturers, dealers, and trainers. That seems to be changing.

I miss Miss Parker. Last I remember she had just taken a Sheriff’s Deputy job as a jailer, so she may have curtailed some of her online presence. DarkNinjaa went dark a while before I took a sabbatical, but she was pretty damn near the opposite of my views on weapon use.

Regards,

Robert A

Well, the world of conceal carry is never boring:

- YouTube

Some basic information for the civilian shooter:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/gear-accessories/using-a-tactical-light/

I have no personal experience with this carry system, even thou, it is close to the 5.11 tactical gear vest I used to wear working PSD. I met an agent today who is working the PSD detail for the Embassy and he was wearing this over a plate carrier. I like some of the aspects for concealed carry, especially in cooler climates. Multiple weapon carry is a positive, but, I would require some serious training with the system before I would feel secure in an smooth draw.

Questions for Idaho: This is a great thread, and I found it at a great time for me because I’ve recently started to conceal carry, and give more thought to being armed.

I hunt, and this time of the year I enjoy hiking and kayaking in the back country as much as possible and plan on getting a .357 magnum to carry, as a good all around woods gun. Retention is a concern because I have flipped a canoe and kayak a time or two and don’t want to lose my piece. So how much would you trust that Kenai chest rig to hold on to your revolver if you took a tumble in the river? Also, what size revolver do you carry? I’d prefer a 6" but I understand a 4" barrel might be more comfortable. Thanks!

I have used the chest rig in rappelling from "copters, cliffs, mountain sides, and once from a railroad bridge spanning a deep gorge. I once got on a river with class rapids above my skill level and took two spills. I have never had a problem with retention with that particular holster. Now, thats my experience, and I know there are probably others who have had a bad experience, all I know, that holster design has worked in both the outdoors and other work related isssues. Since it is costly, there are cheaper rigs on the market that may work for you.

My experience: I dont carry a revolver unless in the outdoors: hunting, fishing, canoeing, etc. engaged in those pursuits, whether you carry a 4 or 6 makes little difference (IMO). I usually carry the Ruger Super Red Hawk in .44 or the Colt Anaconda in .44. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 66 in .357 and will occassionaly carry it while Kayaking. The .357 (IMHO) is one of the best handgun rounds ever created and you can never go wrong with it. If money is not a burning issue, Kimber is now making a carry .357, however, the small Ruger is just a good, for half the money (again, my opinion).

Side Note: For work, I have gradually started going full time to carrying my handgun on my plate carrier across the chest. This evolved from a situation where access to your handgun was needed in a tight armored vehicle. Unless you have ever been in one, you cannot realize how little space there is and drawing from either a thigh or belt rig is nearly impossible. Hope this helps. Be safe, train hard.

Before investing a lot of money, take a look at this holster. I own one for my RedHawk and for an all purpose holster under a hundred dollars, it is really good.

A proven design, small ,slim , .45ACP, and under 500 USD. Not a bad deal.

FYI:

http://fmgpubs.com/store/products/concealed-carry-2016-special-edition/

I live in the Nashville, TN. I am seeing an increased number of guys open carrying around town.

How are you liking that? I’ve shot the LCP next to my Sig Sauer p238, and the difference is night and day. The LCP is a solid pistol, but its sights are tiny and shit, and while it’s lighter, it’s much less manageable under rapid fire than the all metal P238.

I agree the sights are crap. They are so small that it is hard to pick them up and get a sight picture quickly. But, that’s my only complaint. Once I have a decent sight picture, rapid fire has been OK.