T Nation

Combat Athlete Thread

Other threads were closed and I wanted to hear from wrestlers and other grapplers out there to talk about training, tips, and the sport.

It could be just about anything with the sport.

Just start of with a question if there are any here.

A Little About Myself:
Wrestling is a passion of mine. I went to a D3 college to wrestle and ended up leaving due to finances. Currently I'm a strength & conditioning coach in Lancaster, PA. While PA is one of the biggest states for wrestling in the nation, I can't find anything outside of the college/high-school age realm. I'm looking for ways to keep my competitive drive alive. I've done powerlifting and other competitions here and there, but combat sports is where I thrive.

I know that some of the athletes on here have traveled around wrestling for clubs in other countries. I would love more information on that if anyone can give it.

Anyways, here's some of my training if anyone cares:

Right now I train 3-4 days a week, depending on what I have time for. I agree a lot with Jim Wendler's philosophy, so 5-3-1 is a staple in my training. I usually start off with a 5-3-1 Squat day with accessory work of 2 upper back and 1 leg exercise. Bench day usually includes 3 shoulder, chest, or tri exercises. Deadlift day is 2 low back and 1 leg exercise. 4th Day is optional and usually focuses on my weak points.

At the end of some of the days I like to throw in 3, 5, or 1 minute finishers for conditioning. The timed circuits test my conditioning in different bouts, whether it be 3, 5, or 1 minute. I love training with odd objects, tires, rope climbs, kettlebells, sledgehammers, sleds, prowlers and carries. These finishers usually occur 2-3 times a week.

I'm really not sure how this is going to go, but let's make something cool out of this. I'm always looking to learn more about training, nutrition, supplementation, technique, travel experiences, etc. from other wrestlers, grapplers, fighters etc.

A good place to start, since most of the regulars posted their training outlines on this thread: