T Nation

Colonoscopy

(I assume that if you find the subject distasteful, then you wouldn’t have clicked on the topic. If you DID click out of morbid curiosity, feel free to go away. If you have any clever lines like “Hope everything came out all right.” or “My sediments exactly.” then feel free to contribute to the thread.)

Gents, I’ve just survived the first one. No polyps! I’m posting here because it’s an “older man” thing, and I just want to say that the horror stories you’ve heard (I know I heard plenty) aren’t really anything to worry about. I don’t remember a thing about the procedure, I have NO feeling anywhere that I even HAD a procedure (!), and except for a little light-headedness from the sedation and the fact that I had no solid food yesterday and had to skip Upper Body day this morning, it’s like any other day.

Colon cancer is a bitch, but it’s so easy to eliminate the polyps if they catch them early. If you’ve been putting it off, STOP. Man up and get the damn procedure!

That is all. (And let the smartass and crude comments begin!)

No crude comments. Anyone over the age of 35 would be wise to have the procedure done. There may be an element of “violation” considering guys (straight guys) don’t generally like things being shoved in their ass, however, the desire to keep breathing should overcome that. The procedure is done by professionals who do this very regularly.

Didn’t you think it was strange during the procedure when the Doc was scoping you and you felt both of his hands on your shoulders?

Ok, I couldn’t resist.

Just a plug here for prevention. Lack of regular physical activity, low fruit and vegetable intake, a low-fiber and high-fat diet, obesity, alcohol consumption, and tobacco use are all lifestyle factors that can contribute to the development of colon cancer.

Check out the CDC info if you are interested: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorctl/about2004.htm#prevention

My father had one recently and we were both astounded at how unhealthy the diet they force you to go on is.
He actually “failed” the test the first time around. Probably because he snuck in some wheatena (or whatever) and things just weren’t clean enough for the procedure.

A few things that can be done to prevent colon cancer including folic acid (which is better absorbed from supps then food)

Recent Results Cancer Res. 2005;166:177-211. Related Articles, Links

Primary prevention of colorectal cancer: lifestyle, nutrition, exercise.

Martinez ME.

Arizona Cancer Center, Arizona College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA.

The past two decades have provided a vast amount of literature related to the primary prevention of colorectal cancer. Large international variation in colorectal cancer incidence and mortality rates and the prominent increases in the incidence of colorectal cancer in groups that migrated from low- to high-incidence areas provided important evidence that lifestyle factors influence the development of this malignancy. Moreover, there is convincing evidence from epidemiological and experimental studies that dietary intake is an important etiological factor in colorectal neoplasia. Although the precise mechanisms have not been clarified, several lifestyle factors are likely to have a major impact on colorectal cancer development. Physical inactivity and to a lesser extent, excess body weight, are consistent risk factors for colon cancer. Exposure to tobacco products early in life is associated with a higher risk of developing colorectal neoplasia. Diet and nutritional factors are also clearly important. Diets high in red and processed meat increase risk. Excess alcohol consumption, probably in combination with a diet low in some micronutrients such as folate and methionine, appear to increase risk. There is also recent evidence supporting a protective effect of calcium and vitamin D in the etiology of colorectal neoplasia. The relationship between intake of dietary fiber and risk of colon cancer has been studied for three decades but the results are still inconclusive. However, some micronutrients or phytochemicals in fiber-rich foods may be important; folic acid is one such micronutrient that has been shown to protect against the development of colorectal neoplasia and is currently being studied in intervention trials of adenoma recurrence. The overwhelming evidence indicates that primary prevention of colon cancer is feasible. Continued focus on primary prevention of colorectal cancer, in combination with efforts aimed at screening and surveillance, will be vital in attaining the greatest possible progress against this complex, yet highly preventable disease.

PMID: 15648191

Don’t ever think it’s an old man thing.

I had a freind refuse to get one when he was 26. Seven months later when he was diagnosed with colon cancer, valuable time had been lost.

That seven months made a huge difference in the spread of the cancer and might very well have cost him his life.

Don’t be too proud or too macho to get it done. If a doctor suggests a colonoscopy it’s serious.

[quote]Sifu wrote:

Don’t be too proud or too macho to get it done. If a doctor suggests a colonoscopy it’s serious. [/quote]

Or preventive.

I think the guideline is by age 50 this is on your list of things to do regardless of your history.

Don’t settle for a sigmoidoscopy, demand a colonoscopy, the drugs are much better, you’re less uncomfortable, they get a better look. Beware of POS HMOs out to save dimes.

I felt some discomfort at times as they turned the nether corners, but it’s no big deal. Getting cleaned out was no big deal. I’m glad my procedure was first thing in the morning though, because fasting and not even drinking any water is a big deal.

Don’t count on driving yourself home is all.

My mother worked for a time in a GI lab that performed colonoscopies. She said that the sedative cocktail they administered had Versed (sp) in it, which has amnesiac properties. Most people don’t remember a thing.

In the interests of full disclosure:
I knew I’d skip a workout on that day, so I went the day before EARLY and allowed myself a serving of Surge. So I got 350 calories of the good stuff more than 2 hours before it was time to drink the Phospho-Soda and start the “purge,” and more than 24 hours before the procedure itself. I figured the Surge itself get through my stomach fairly quickly. I seem to have guessed correctly this time–and I wasn’t as hungry as I might have been if I had to live on just juice–but I wouldn’t have wanted anything more solid in my system.

And yeah: have a driver. I felt a little light-headed for most of the afternoon. I DO have a memory of something traveling up inside me; I wonder if it was the air they pump you with to expand the colon. But other than that, I’ve got nothing in memory between chatting with the doc about hobbies right after he put the drugs in, and hearing “You’re done” and feeling them rip off the patches from my chest.

I’ve got NO qualms about doing this again in 5 years.

Had mine last summer, at 37 years old. Last thing I remember was the doc asking the ansethesiologist if she had enough meds for a young, healthy, 220+ pound man. She (yes I said she) said she brought a double dose of each.

The drugs are great. I don’t know if they used both doses or not, but I didn’t feel or remember a thing.

A driver was mandatory for me, and for good reason. I was out of it for quite a while afterwards. I called my mom twice, several hours apart, to tell her that I had made it out fine and there was nothing serious.

I had a barium enema a week or two prior to the c-scope but it didn’t
rule out whatever it was they were looking for. I cannot emphasize how much less intrusive the c-scope is in comparison.

I was scared as hell for both procedures, but now I will not fear the c-scope when the next recommended time comes.

Serious stuff, not a bad procedure at all.

LA

I’m telling people not to be concerned about it, that there’s no feeling of “being violated.” After all, it’s not like they use a garden hose!

I’m now especially glad I started this thread, because when Monday’s procedure has come up in conversation this past week, my wife has started saying “That’s such an old man thing: talking about your operations.”

I thought I would add my experience to the forum. I’m 66 and just recently had my first colonoscopy. I too, like many others, had heard about the discomfort associated with the test.
I was a particular candidate since I had previously had bladder cancer (1981) which required an operation and chemo. The colonoscopy was a simple, fast and painfree procedure while under a mild anesthesia. I remember nothing of the procedure and fortunately nothing abnormal was found. I will return in 5 years without trepidation.
A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with colon cancer, which fortunately was caught in time due to a routine colonoscopy. Have it done at least by age 50 or whenever you are concerned.
Good Luck

I just turned 53 and have been ducking this topic(procedure) for several years. I watched my grandfather die of it many years ago so you’d think I’d suck it up and and take of business, huh? Well, I finally pulled my head out of my ass so they could get the colonoscope up there. It was no big deal at all. It’s not pleasant getting ready for the event but the procedure itself is nothin’. Over and done with in about 30 mins. My diet and exercise have paid off 'cause I got the A+, all clear, see you in 10 years report!! That’s a relief.
I had a servering of Surge and a banana waiting in the car (my wife drove) and as soon as I walked out the door I had some food. Best damn meal I’ve had in a while I cause I was completely empty. Dont eat real food after. Something easy to digest works best. Wait a little while (1 hr or so) and have another. By the time I got home I felt great. Hit the gym for a little cardio and some light weights. Next day everything was back to normal.
DO IT !!! Don’t die a long, painful death when you dont have to. It’s too damn easy to prevent. Besides, there’s this thing about being completely naked with a bunch of good looking nurses and drugs and…never mind.

See ya,

Jimbob