Colon Cancer Question

Hey Everyone,

For those who have had or know someone who has had colon cancer, what were some of the symptoms that made a cause to see a doctor?

I ask because my digestive system hasn’t been normal for about five days or so, and when I look up symptoms(can’t trust everything on the internet but freaks me out regardless) for colon cancer I have a few of them. I know I need to see a doctor and I already have an appointment scheduled. I’m just hoping to put my mind at ease between now and then.

A quick background of my health. I’m 23 years old and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis(UC) in January of 2008 and have been on medication ever since. Even with UC, my overall health is good, except for occasional bouts of constipation and having to use the bathroom 4-5 times upon waking, which is a lot for most, but it’s nothing for me anymore. My Grandmother had colon cancer 15 years ago, so with that and my UC my chances of getting colon cancer are raised even higher.

I’ll appreciate any insight you all have for me.

Thanks All

My best friend used to complain of irritable bowl syndrome and when he got sick he would be wiped out. But otherwise he was strong, healthy and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with him. When he was 26 the doctors proposed that he should get a colonoscopy. But because he was squeamish about the procedure he didn’t do it. Six months later he got kicked in the stomach in karate class and his belly blew up like he was 4 months pregnant. That is when they figured out he had stage 4 colon cancer and gave him a year to live. Early detection is important so don’t be too proud to get scoped.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
My best friend used to complain of irritable bowl syndrome and when he got sick he would be wiped out. But otherwise he was strong, healthy and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with him. When he was 26 the doctors proposed that he should get a colonoscopy. But because he was squeamish about the procedure he didn’t do it. Six months later he got kicked in the stomach in karate class and his belly blew up like he was 4 months pregnant. That is when they figured out he had stage 4 colon cancer and gave him a year to live. Early detection is important so don’t be too proud to get scoped. [/quote]
Thanks Sifu.

I already had a colonoscopy to diagnose my UC and it wasn’t a big deal at all. I don’t remember this, but apparently when I was coming out of the anesthesia I kept telling the nurse and my Mom “I don’t feel violated at all.” lol. I don’t remember saying it but it was the truth.

The doctors said that what my friend had probably started developing when he was a teenager. So even though he was young it took a while for it to progress. I want to wish you good luck.