T Nation

Collegiate Athletes

What are the best (NCAA legal substances) supplements for college athletes. I’ve been using Cytosport and I feel its been helping me improve but I’ve read the glcocy…something is a dangerous supplement used in most of Cytosports products.
Thanks

I’m a big fan of Pizza…

On a serious note, all I really use is creatine, protein powder and ZMA. It’s not like I need a test-booster or anything crazy like that, just stick to the basics.

[quote]whatisitcousin wrote:
What are the best (NCAA legal substances) supplements for college athletes. I’ve been using Cytosport and I feel its been helping me improve but I’ve read the glcocy…something is a dangerous supplement used in most of Cytosports products.
Thanks[/quote]

I supplement with Whey Protein, BCAA’s, Glutamine, Flameout, Animal Pak, ZMA, and Creatine…I’m pretty sure all of those are legal.

NCAA Banned-Drug Classes
2006-2007(http://www.cubuffs.com/pdf3/39620.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600)
“testosterone?if the administration of testosterone or use
of any other manipulation has the result of increasing the ratio
of the total concentration of testosterone to that of
epitestosterone in the urine to greater than 6:1, unless there is
evidence that this ratio is due to a physiological or
pathological condition.”

I’m not sure if the ZMA is legal

I use whey, glutamine, tribulus, various creatines, Spike, and will begin HOT-ROX in my next cut before summer in about 6 weeks. Not sure if HOT-ROX is legal though, but I’ve used illegal supplements before and I have yet to be tested. I’m not telling you to do so, however.

actually I think ZMA is boderline legal because according to the recommended daily values based on a 2000 calorie diet(athletes need at least 3000) you should take 400 mg of Magnesium and 15mg of Zinc and ZMA is 450mg of Magnesium and 30mg of zinc. So I might try this

anyway I also take Whey when I wake up and before I go to sleep.
Fast Twitch before practice
and muscle Milk before or after practice

but Im wondering about products like NO Xplode and stacks and all that stuff. I have a basic knowledge how every thing works I just cant afford to try something that doesnt or something I shouldnt be using.

By the way Im in track season, and I’ll be starting football(DB) soon, so I need to gain speed right now and muscle but not to much right now. Also I wouldn? mind getting back down to 5% body fat instead of my 8% to 10%

Thanks[/quote]

Glycocyamine has been linked to higher homocysteine levels. High homocysteine is an established risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Make up your own mind. I wouldn’t touch the stuff.

-Cloth

ignore the BS NO products and all the kitchen sink ones. a quality milk protein blend (Metabolic Drive for example), a workout drink mix (gatorade or better, surge mixed with scivation xtend), creatine, ZMA, fish oil, milled flax seeds, beta alanine, and BCAAs will give you the most for your money.

as for fat levels, HOT-ROX extreme is ridiculous as a fat burner/ nutrient partitioning agent and the new product se7en will probably work quite well synergistically (i’ll tell you in a month) with it.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
ignore the BS NO products and all the kitchen sink ones. a quality milk protein blend (Metabolic Drive for example), a workout drink mix (gatorade or better, surge mixed with scivation xtend), creatine, ZMA, fish oil, milled flax seeds, beta alanine, and BCAAs will give you the most for your money.

as for fat levels, HOT-ROX extreme is ridiculous as a fat burner/ nutrient partitioning agent and the new product se7en will probably work quite well synergistically (i’ll tell you in a month) with it.[/quote]

is the BCAA’s in scivation xtend enough

also is Kre-Alkaline better then just regular creatine

and do pills perform better, as good, or worse then powder

I highly doubt ZMA would be illegal, isn’t it just a optimal balance of minerals that can be found in normal foods?

Also most tests if I remember correctly are going to test for testosterone concentration, and I don’t think that most of the Biotest supplements are going to increase it to the point where it would read far above average and cause a positive test. I’m no expert though. I’m not gonna worry about it until october when I start getting tested.

is the BCAA’s in scivation xtend enough

also is Kre-Alkaline better then just regular creatine

and do pills perform better, as good, or worse then powder[/quote]

1. i only use the xtend to add BCAA to the Surge during the workout. for the rest of the day, i just swallow 4-6 Biotest BCAA tabs between meals depending on what my current goals are. it really is a matter of convenience. it was a pain in the ass to carry around tabs during a workout, so i came up with this instead. the rest of the day it would be a pain to drink BCAA shakes, that’s why i prefer pills.

2. regular creatine is just fine, here is the Barrticle:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=768093

1. matter of convenience, a good micronized creatine monohydrate powder like the Biotest one is as cheap as you can get, not too much of a pain in the ass to use and can be mixed with post workout drinks or protein shakes.

ZMA is definately not banned and cannot raise testosterone levels to the point you would test positive. it does however support optimal natural production pushing you higher in the natural range and most athletes are found to be low in these two minerals. it also supports the action of hormones in the body as the receptor proteins for dna binding utilize zinc (thus called zinc finger proteins) to attach to the dna strand.