T Nation

College Survival Tips

So I’m heading off to Uni at the end of the month and will be staying at a Residential College.

There they cook all 3 mains meals per day. As far as i am aware brekky and lunch are a self serve buffet sotra affair but dinners are a formal occasion where I’ll hav no control over the menu.

1)What r any college survival tips that u guys could recommend? i also foresee a lot of situations where i will be under pressure to drink and want some advice for that too

2)What is the best single protein i should buy? Im considering a horleys mass gainer over my current WPC, just cause i want to hav it more as a snack between meals and not just after training and not hav to bother myself mixing powdered oats with like i usually would. Are mass gainers still ok to have pwo?

Survival tip? travel in groups

Trutein or Biotests Grow!

Try and keep your goals in mind during meals, and you’ll be drinking a ton, it’s the lifestyle. Try to avoid drinking during the week if you can, and lower cals on weekends where you’ll be hitting the piss

Most schools offer their menus online and what they typically will have laid out for buffet type places and what else. I printed mine out and started to lay out everything in advance so I have an idea of what I will be aiming to eat each meal.

I might try and stock up on some finibars as well and Metabolic Drive for meal replacements. I’ll be going away this fall myself so I’m in the same boat!

[quote]02Thief wrote:
Try and keep your goals in mind during meals, and you’ll be drinking a ton, it’s the lifestyle. Try to avoid drinking during the week if you can, and lower cals on weekends where you’ll be hitting the piss[/quote]
This guy knows whats up lol

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]02Thief wrote:
Try and keep your goals in mind during meals, and you’ll be drinking a ton, it’s the lifestyle. Try to avoid drinking during the week if you can, and lower cals on weekends where you’ll be hitting the piss[/quote]
This guy knows whats up lol[/quote]

Haha yeah I joined the military at 18. We drank enough in training alone to float a battleship

Know what’s being served. When I was on campus, I would check the menu everyday to see what was being served and then plan my options.

Most dining halls offer some sort of eggs, so stick to those. Avoid the cereals, bagels, waffles… They’ll smell oh-so good but not worth it, trust me. Freshman 15 turned into freshman 30 for some of my friends because of splurging.

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:
Know what’s being served. When I was on campus, I would check the menu everyday to see what was being served and then plan my options.

Most dining halls offer some sort of eggs, so stick to those. Avoid the cereals, bagels, waffles… They’ll smell oh-so good but not worth it, trust me. Freshman 15 turned into freshman 30 for some of my friends because of splurging. [/quote]

I lost 10lb my freshman year because the food tasted so bland and there were only 15 meals a week.

beef jerky, snack tuna cans and peanut butter. Rice cooker (get creative with the rice cooker) and george foreman in your room. Mini fridges are cheap (fresh fruits and veggies always.)

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
beef jerky, snack tuna cans and peanut butter. Rice cooker (get creative with the rice cooker) and george foreman in your room. Mini fridges are cheap (fresh fruits and veggies always.)[/quote]

Yes on the mini fridge and foreman! And a hot plate too. Once a week, I’d always have a steak and eggs meal and it was delicious. I cooked the eggs in the drippings from the steak and those are still the best tasting eggs I can remember. And maybe get a part-time job on campus. It’ll help you buy food, booze, and maybe even save up for who knows what.

If you open to the idea of drinking, then you will drink, and a lot more than you think or ever intend to. But that’s what your first year is about. Especially living in rez.

If you want to drink more moderately, surround yourself with friends who drink in moderation. I’ve found that if you spend tons of time at the gym and it’s clear that you’re serious about lifting, then you will attract people of a similar mindset. Oh and don’t join a frat. If most uni students are closet alcoholics, then the Greeks are proud alcoholics.

Don’t drink on the weeknights, but go all out on friday and saturday

This:
http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/1464

[quote]TheRevaKnight
1)What r any college survival tips that u guys could recommend? i also foresee a lot of situations where i will be under pressure to drink and want some advice for that too [/quote]
I recommend you stop being such a p*ssy.

[quote]TheRevaKnight wrote:
1)What r any college survival tips that u guys could recommend? [/quote]

How about learning to write a complete and proper sentence.

1)What r any college survival tips that u guys could recommend? i also foresee a lot of situations where i will be under pressure to drink and want some advice for that too
[/quote]

Yeah just don’t worry about it and drink with your friends and have a good time being in college. As long as you’re not doing it every damn day you will be fine.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah just don’t worry about it and drink with your friends and have a good time being in college. As long as you’re not doing it every damn day you will be fine.[/quote]

I agree with this.

Having the best time of your life > Minor/Moderate decrease in muscle gains.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah just don’t worry about it and drink with your friends and have a good time being in college. As long as you’re not doing it every damn day you will be fine.[/quote]

I agree with this.

Having the best time of your life > Minor/Moderate decrease in muscle gains.[/quote]

Trudat, Have fun. You can be forrealz about bodybuilding in 3 or 4 years. Not to promote bad habits or anything but if you have a love for this sport you should naturally grow out of these habits in a few years anyways.

Having fun at college is definitely more important than trying to live a life of discipline while at college.

Why would anyone spend their parent’s money on that?

Thats a good point, thanks for all the advice guys