T Nation

College Student

Hey guys I am a new users to these forums and I need some help. I have searched all around here and have come up empty in my search for other college students as myself.

I am not sure if this is due to boredom or being overwhelmed. But I am an Army ROTC cadet in college and I am looking to gain some significant muscle.

First some stats on me are 6’2’’, 250 pounds. I am a big guy. I live on campus so I really don’t have the best choice of nutrition daily but I do try and eat as healthy as possible. Healthy meaning vegetables and chicken. Nothing fried or pizzas for the most part. I can eat only 3 meals a day so that puts a hamper on some of these nutrition plans I see all around.

Another thing that really hurts my excercise I also believe is that for the Army we tend to run alot. M,W,F generally are 4 miles and in the off days I run about 1-2.

With all of this being said, I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom or could help me get on a plan that would really benefit me?

Do you and us a favor read the two thread pinned in this forum then do a search and read “school days 1 and 2” by Steve Berardi.

Those three things link etc will give you a good start and some direction to then come back with any more direct ?'s

Phill

Why can you only eat three meals a day?

I can only eat three meals a day because the meal plan that I can afford or should I say that the Army can afford is 3 meals in the cafeteria in a day.

[quote]t3hcho53non3 wrote:
I can only eat three meals a day because the meal plan that I can afford or should I say that the Army can afford is 3 meals in the cafeteria in a day.[/quote]

so go to the store and get some of your own food or pack some up. Get some Metabolic Drive Complete. get some beef jerky and mixed nuts.

easy as. Or get a job at the cafeteria.

-chris

make some definitive goals, dont run on the off days, keep learning…

As Phill said, read the first two threads in this Beginners Forum then ask some questions.

The only supplement you really need is creatine.

Here is a pretty good program if you are a beginner. Do 3 times per week. 15 reps for 1 set Monday. 5 reps for 2 sets Wednesday. 10 reps for 2 sets Friday. If you miss a day, make it up on the weekend. Otherwise rest up. Increase weight each week. You do not have to start at your maximum liftable weight. Just keep progressing. Keep your form strict to avoid injury. Make every rep count. If you’re not sure of the correct form, get someone knowledgeable to help you. Don’t try and impress anyone with weights that are too heavy.

Full squats
Regular deadlifts
Pull ups or lat pull downs
Seated Rows
DB ncline bench press
Dips
Military press
DB shrugs
BB curls
Close grip bench press

Eat as much clean food as you can. 3 meals is fine but you can probably buy some protein shakes or peanut butter.

Stop running on your off-ROTC days. It won’t do you anymore good aerobically and will hurt your muscle growth.

Good luck!

Get some protein powder, and a case of canned tuna. Drink the protein with milk or water. What I used to do was to take my book bag with a milk jug in it and fillit up in the cafeteria.

While your in the cafeteria make a couple extra sandwiches and wrap them in your napkins and stick them in your bookbag. Eat the tuna plain.

Defenitley, I am also in college and the food offered by the school is terrible. I eat a lot in my room, tuna, cheese, peanut butter, protein shakes. Pretty much anything that you can keep and prepare in your room with a high protein content is of great value to you.

I can only eat three meals a day because the meal plan that I can afford or should I say that the Army can afford is 3 meals in the cafeteria in a day.[/quote]

I’m in the same boat as you, and while it is difficult, it can be done. Every time you go into the cafeteria, snag a piece of fruit or a bagel or something. Buy a can of some all-natural peanut butter, some cans of tuna, maybe a bag of chicken. Between those things and a good protein shake, you should be all set.

[quote]Dan5290 wrote:
t3hcho53non3 wrote:
I can only eat three meals a day because the meal plan that I can afford or should I say that the Army can afford is 3 meals in the cafeteria in a day.

I’m in the same boat as you, and while it is difficult, it can be done. Every time you go into the cafeteria, snag a piece of fruit or a bagel or something. Buy a can of some all-natural peanut butter, some cans of tuna, maybe a bag of chicken. Between those things and a good protein shake, you should be all set. [/quote]

I agree with this, I know it can be tough but if your really serious about attaining your goals, you’ll find a way to make it happen. As far as a program give Total Body Training by Chad Waterbury a try, alot of people have had great results with it. Its pretty damn solid and easy to use…

hey i am a freshman in college and live in the dorms and suffer not having a car and being forced to eat the cattle feed at the cafe. I, too only get three meals a day, and at my cafe 90% of the food is CARBS!!! it drives me crazy. but it seems like us college students have figured a way to smuggle food back to out rooms.

Seriously, make friends with all the staff at the cafeteria and be nice to them. they will hook u up. on the rare occasion of having turkey, they serve it to us, and i get hooked up big time just by being curteous and flirting with the cafe ladies haha.

get a couple of shaker bottles and some protein powder and that will be your new best friend. good luck in the army and God Bless.

beachboi

hey, i goto west point so i suffer from alot of the drawbacks as you do. what i do is keep tuna packets in my room and bring up food from the mess hall if i have to. i eat at least 4 meals a day. i know its hard with the cardio, the apft every semester makes it a little difficult, but you just gotta train the 2mile. i have yet to score below a tab on the run b.c i train the run about 6 weeks out. i am currently lifting using wsb, experimenting with 3x/week and have seen great gains. just keep lifting and whatever you do, dont let yourself make excuses for not lifting. best of luck to you.

Hey guys I am a new users to these forums and I need some help. I have searched all around here and have come up empty in my search for other college students as myself.

I am not sure if this is due to boredom or being overwhelmed. But I am an Army ROTC cadet in college and I am looking to gain some significant muscle.

First some stats on me are 6’2’’, 250 pounds. I am a big guy. I live on campus so I really don’t have the best choice of nutrition daily but I do try and eat as healthy as possible. Healthy meaning vegetables and chicken. Nothing fried or pizzas for the most part. I can eat only 3 meals a day so that puts a hamper on some of these nutrition plans I see all around.

Another thing that really hurts my excercise I also believe is that for the Army we tend to run alot. M,W,F generally are 4 miles and in the off days I run about 1-2.

With all of this being said, I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom or could help me get on a plan that would really benefit me?

[/quote]

If you’re actually 6’2, 250 with 5% bodyfat, you shouldn’t change a damn thing about your training or diet. Hell, you should tell us what you’re doing.

[quote]DemiAjax wrote:
If you’re actually 6’2, 250 with 5% bodyfat, you shouldn’t change a damn thing about your training or diet. Hell, you should tell us what you’re doing.[/quote]

Yeah seriously- 250lbs and 5%? Let’s see a picture of you.

i dont think he ever says he’s 5%

[quote]tveddy wrote:
Get some protein powder, and a case of canned tuna. Drink the protein with milk or water. What I used to do was to take my book bag with a milk jug in it and fillit up in the cafeteria.

While your in the cafeteria make a couple extra sandwiches and wrap them in your napkins and stick them in your bookbag. Eat the tuna plain.[/quote]

Best advice here. Tupperware should be one of your best friends, and you should definitely take advantage of the fact that no one polices what you do at the drink machines.

I’m also in college, and I find that I can get pretty much all I need at the cafeteria, though I do bring up oatmeal, cans of tuna, and wheat bread every so often. Been here for about a year and a half, and the only times I have trouble eating is during finals (Adderall, anyone?)

I see your in Louisiana . What college are you attending ?

[quote]windmill85 wrote:
i dont think he ever says he’s 5%[/quote]

Check his profile.

I go to Southern University.