College Student Grocery List

Boyscout’s Delicious Beef roast:

Ingredients:
-Huge beef roast (2lbs ish)
-Whole Garlic
-1 bag your choice frozen veggie mix
-Spices
-1 Can beef broth

Shell the garlic and get it down to whole cloves. Cut holes into the meet and shove the little garlic cloves in there. Use as much garlic as you’d like.

Put the roast in the crockpot. Throw the frozen veggie mix on top (I like pepper and onion mix). Put a bit of beef broth (I just put the whole can in) in the crockpot. Cover.

Let it cook for 8ish hours. This should give you more than a few meals.

I’ve lived in an apartment with exactly the same appliances you have for 3 years. I JUST got a crock pot and slapped myself for being an idiot and not thinking of it sooner (I’m going into my last semester). Get a crock pot! Everyone has mentioned great foods and I can’t think of many others to get.

One person said don’t bother with tuna because it doesnt have many calories, but I severely disagree with that. Tuna is great…its cheap and easy. Just add some mayo and EVOO too it and you can make it into a meal with a decent amount of calories.

Oh and as long as your bulking…MILK MILK AND MORE MILK!!

Ground beef + brown rice + beans is an incredibly versatile combination.

I have to say, this is one of the best college bulking threads that I’ve seen.

Spaghetti and PB&J seem to be the most cost effective meals for bulking in college.

You will learn to watch coupons and sales.

When I buy meat, I buy the stuff that is on sale because it has been sitting a while. Just get that really cheap and take it home and cook it.

For 20 bucks I got enough steak and tilapia to last me the next 5 days. I’m currently eating almost a pound of meat with 5 of my 7-8 meals a day so that should say something.

And last but not least if you want to bodybuild competitively you will soon just dedicate your paycheck to bills (so your not evicted lol) and then food and supplements.

I have very little extra spending money each month but have had no problems eating enough and like a king for bodybuilding.

The beach is nearby and my only extracurricular is surfing, otherwise it’s work/school/bodybuilding. The beach is free so I’m good. lol

This is an interesting thread too, glad it was made.

DG

So can anyone give some insight on cutting while in college?

God knows that the school meal plan is generally pretty craptastic for eating clean. That said, I’m getting off the school meal plan this year and shopping for myself.

Also, I second the George Foreman Grill if you’re super lazy like me, get the Next Grillernation version that has the removeable trays for easy cleaning.

[quote]MetalGrasshopper wrote:

God knows that the school meal plan is generally pretty craptastic for eating clean. That said, I’m getting off the school meal plan this year and shopping for myself.

Also, I second the George Foreman Grill if you’re super lazy like me, get the Next Grillernation version that has the removeable trays for easy cleaning.[/quote]

i will be doing it low carb… so i buy tons of cheap meat, eggs and some seasonings + spices, then cook meat add seasonings then eat from pot. quick, easy, no cleaning and low carb.

also for cutting ive found that ziplock bags are invaluable, i usually spend 1 hour a week sorting out all my supps into bags and then i just keep a bag in my pocket all day. no excuse not to take my HOT-ROX or fishoil etc.

if your going out for a night, like to the cinema or somewhere… only bring how much the entrance fee is and leave ur wallet at home so there is no risk of u pigging on popcorn etc at the shop. also try to sit furtherest away from any of ur mates who bought tons of food.

buy a few protein shakers and tubaware boxes aswell… u still need to be eating reguraly to cut and that usually means between classes. u may look like a dork drinking your “steroid shake” but in the end you will be better than all the naysayers.

Scott

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
u may look like a dork drinking your “steroid shake”…
Scott[/quote]

steroid shakes rule

That’s right they do.

[quote]MetalGrasshopper wrote:

Also, I second the George Foreman Grill if you’re super lazy like me, get the Next Grillernation version that has the removeable trays for easy cleaning.[/quote]

chicken breasts
lean turkey meat
natural PB
eggs
flank steak
steel cut oats (mornings)
whole wheat pasta (trader joe’s has a pound for 99 cents, good for PWO)
sweet potatoes, couscous or brown rice (all relatively cheap and good PWO sources)
broccoli (3lbs at costco for like 8 bucks)
they also have a vegetable stirfry that includes broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini and carrots although not that many carrots which is good

thats what I usually goto the store and buy for school. I’m off campus though so I have all the necessary tools to cook with.

the stove is your friend. get a pan, put silver foil on the pan, place chicken breast on pan, cook for 45 min, let cool, take chicken off of pan into paper plate, throw out silver foil, eat chicken breast, throw out paper plate. no clean up. it works! same for steak! It sucks doing dishes when you have class in 5 minutes. =\

[quote]kayveeay wrote:
StimacINC wrote:

Personally, I use a non-stick pan to cook basically everything. I stick with fish and vegetables mostly. Tilapia filets have 21g protein for 98 calories fyi.

5000 calories sounds like a lot… are you bulking? I mean, you should really take into consideration the ratio of fats/carbs/protein/etc… 5000 calories of mcdonalds is a lot different that 5000 of clean food.

My suggestion is to add a mass gainer type supplement, as cooking 5000 calories worth of food would probably be pretty time consuming as opposed to just making a shake. Additionally, it would be more cost effective in the long run. Just my .02

Yes, sir, I am bulking. Are you sure there is a difference between 5000 calories of McDonald’s and 5000 Calories of clean food? I thought mcDonald’s IS clean???[/quote]

Well coming with such a generalized question doesn’t necessarily lend itself to me believeing you would know something like that. Put simply, you’re asking people what food you should eat to get bigger. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to insult you. It just seems pretty counterintuitive to go onto these forums with a question that could be answered by looking into any workout magazine or simply through common sense. To simplify: Eat clean foods. Eat a lot of them. Shop on the outside edges of your grocery store. Look for things on sale. I live on less than 150$ a week and don’t have a problem, being a grad student myself.

Is that the answer you were looking for? Because sarcasm breeds sarcasm and I can fuck all day.

I used to load up on close to expiration ground beef that had been put on sale. I would brown a couple pounds of that, mix with a big bag of brown rice, and seal in a large Tupperware. It’s best fresh, but with a little ketchup it tastes great reheated. Definitely calorie dense, pretty cheap, and tasty.

[quote]StimacINC wrote:
kayveeay wrote:
StimacINC wrote:

Personally, I use a non-stick pan to cook basically everything. I stick with fish and vegetables mostly. Tilapia filets have 21g protein for 98 calories fyi.

5000 calories sounds like a lot… are you bulking? I mean, you should really take into consideration the ratio of fats/carbs/protein/etc… 5000 calories of mcdonalds is a lot different that 5000 of clean food.

My suggestion is to add a mass gainer type supplement, as cooking 5000 calories worth of food would probably be pretty time consuming as opposed to just making a shake. Additionally, it would be more cost effective in the long run. Just my .02

Yes, sir, I am bulking. Are you sure there is a difference between 5000 calories of McDonald’s and 5000 Calories of clean food? I thought mcDonald’s IS clean???

Well coming with such a generalized question doesn’t necessarily lend itself to me believeing you would know something like that. Put simply, you’re asking people what food you should eat to get bigger. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to insult you. It just seems pretty counterintuitive to go onto these forums with a question that could be answered by looking into any workout magazine or simply through common sense. To simplify: Eat clean foods. Eat a lot of them. Shop on the outside edges of your grocery store. Look for things on sale. I live on less than 150$ a week and don’t have a problem, being a grad student myself.

Is that the answer you were looking for? Because sarcasm breeds sarcasm and I can fuck all day.

[/quote]

Are you retarded? I know what food I should eat to get bigger, I know how to bulk.

I moved outta my parents house and am now on my own for food, so I’m trying to create a thread where people (not just myself) can get ideas for ways to SAVE money on cheap foods that have multiple uses.

I don’t have a BBQ grill anymore to fry up chicken on, so let’s get ideas on cooking chicken in an apartment.

I don’t have unllimited money anymore, so turkey breast with provelone cheese isn’t an option for a quick snack anymore.

The reason I responded with sarcasm is because you came off implying I had no idea what I was doing, with your phrase “5000 clean calories is a lot different than 5000 mcdonalds calories”

Jesus, I might have had McDonalds once in the last 2 years.

The compact Foreman fits easily in practically any kitchen area. I would absolutely reccomend investing in one.

[quote]kayveeay wrote:

I don’t have a BBQ grill anymore to fry up chicken on, so let’s get ideas on cooking chicken in an apartment.

[/quote]

Grills are called grills for a reason. I’m sorry but you are not going to be the next Iron Chef.

You said you have a George Foreman grill. You can grill chicken to your heart’s content on that. I prefer thighs because they stay moister and have a better flavor than breasts. Plus they tend to be cheaper.

You can always buy a whole chicken (or any other fowl) and roast it in the oven.

As a fellow college student I think I’ve got the protocol down well.

I’m not sure if you guys have a “Trader Joe’s” nearby you, but that’s the first place I always do my shopping - MUCH cheaper than Safeway.

Personally I go with a few pounds of ground turkey (fairly cheap, and low in fat). Usually I grab of assorted vegetables; canned chili works really well for me; maybe some chicken breasts; some granola; milk; fat-free greek yogurt; oats; and some salsa.

Whenever I’m feeling like I need a pick up I make some protein pudding. I mix up canned pumpkin, the non-fat greek yogurt, some protein powder (banana Metabolic Drive is my favorite) and some sugar-free Jello pudding (banana flavored as well). Tastes amazing and packed full of fiber. Usually get some after dinner if I need a snack.

EDIT: definitely grab a George Foreman. I grabbed mine from Target for $20. Best investment ever.

Been said before but cottage cheese is good. Lots of protien, pretty cheap.
Most good cheap bulking foods are savory, you can have cottage cheese with sweet stuff, sounds weird but its good and give you a bit of variety.

Get some frozen blue berries or berry mix and put 1/4 of a cup with 150-200g of cottage cheese, add some jam or conserve if you want it sweeter.
Your frozen berries arent super cheap but they are a helofa lot cheaper than fresh and you wont have to worry about your vitamin supps if your eating those and a variety of veggies.

[quote]Peot wrote:
The compact Foreman fits easily in practically any kitchen area. I would absolutely reccomend investing in one.[/quote]

I have one of the small ones.
use it for every peice of meat I cook,cover the whole grill and there is a 1/4th pound serving or there abouts.
once chicken breast fits perfect whatever I can put a 1/2 inch steak on the grill frozen and its done perfect in about 5-7 mins

also rice cooker,you can use that for everything from vegies to rice
here is my fav school meal.
made in a bigger crock pot.

1 pound lean beef roast cut in cubes frozen
1 big (about 3 pound) frozen normandy veg mix( cauliflower and carrots and stuff
sprinkle salt,pepper,red pepper flakes
2-3 cans beef broth or chicken broth depending on your mood to cover the stuff
start it on low and leave for the day,come home to a big pot of soup and when done pull the crock liner with lid on it out of the cooker and place in freezer and then all you have to do when you want soup again later is put the liner back in the unit with frozen soup in it and turn on low and leave again.

almost forgot
I picked up a small meat slicer from cosco wholesale and I get also from cosco big lean roasts and the big deli turkey breasts
per pound costs are alot lower in bulk than when packaged
slice em myself and place in ziplocks and freeze
a 350 dollar trip to cosco with simple meat,frozen vegis lasted me about 3 months
only thing i bought was a gallon of milk on the way home every other day

Eggs - at my local Kroger I can get 2 1/2 dozen for less than $3.

Potatoes - less than $4 for 10 pounds

Bananas - about 70 cents per pound

Beef - with a Kroger plus card I get steak in bulk for about $2.50/pound. You can get ground beef most places for around $2/pound.

Oats, brown rice and tuna.

Good coming with one asks so generalized doesn’ t loans me necessarily that it believes would know any to it another similar thing. For simply, you’ reverse speed peoples asking for that food you must eat for come greater. Don’ t come me the error, I’ m that does not try to insult it. But it seems intuitively pretty the opposite to go in these forums with a question that could all be answered looking in the compartment of the exercise or simply with the common sense.

To simplify: It eats clean foods. It eats them very. It buys in the exterior edges of its would grocery store. It looks things in the sales. I live in less than $150 one week and one don’ t has a problem, being a student I myself.