T Nation

College Parties and Drinking

I tend to read a lot on here and not post, but for the past few months I used and want to share a very stupid and simple, but very useful idea for college. It essentially beats any peer pressure by looking as if you’re drinking but youre not.

If you do not want to drink, but still look casual and have people think you are drinking at parties get a 40 bottle and see if they can bag it at the store. Preferably a dark bottle. Pour it out and give the beer to your friends if you want. Rinse and fill with water.

Now most of the parties around my college are typically at night so no one notices. You still look like you’re drinking and do not have to hear about it from people you do not want to.

Just make sure no random girls try to get a sip when a party runs out of beer because that has happened before. Just say no no you dont want this.

I know this post seems kind of out there for people who aren’t, but for us in college it can be very useful and keep ourselves anabolic.

thats not a bad idea

or you can just pretend your wasted and you don’t need to drink anymore

on a side note, what are the downsides of drinking?

I know it decreases your testosterone, but how is it that alcohol calories are bad for the lifter that is trying to get big?

Just suck it up and stay true to your principles. Who cares what a bunch of wasted people at a party say? If you want to drink drink, If not, than don’t. You can still have fun without drinking, and no one is going to remember in the morning if you were that “guy” who was drunk or not.

-Tags

I’m in college, but I don’t drink.

I lift, I do karate, I study, I work, I go to class, take a girl out every once in a while.

I see no point in drinking.

I agree with the above, if you want to drink, drink. If not, don’t.

You definitely shouldn’t act like you are drinking if you really arent. There’s nothing wrong with not drinking. It seems there is and always has been at least someone at the party who doesn’t get completely plastered.

If your that guy who doesn’t drink, there is nothing wrong with that. I used to be a hardcore partier. Now, I have a few beers (unless it just happens to be something special) but nothing compared to my roomate or my friends. Anyway, I have a lower tolerance, cop a quicker buzz, and I don’t act like a complete dumbass in front of girls. Plus I don’t have to put up with not remembering what went on.

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
thats not a bad idea

I know it decreases your testosterone, but how is it that alcohol calories are bad for the lifter that is trying to get big?[/quote]

The simple reasons many know:
-It kills motivation the next day.
-The storage of extra calories = beer gut

The other reasons:
-Drinking for a “night” can be a while and bring you into a catabolic state from not eating for a long period of time, eating your hard earned muscle.
-It decreases protein synthesis, if you worked out that day, forget your efforts you will not build more muscle on that.

As for bulking it may not be nearly as harmful as fat loss, but never the less if youre not getting where you want in the time you want one thing you can do is greatly reduce or quit drinking.

Anybody else have something I did not cover?

As for my bottle idea:
I see eveyone has a different perspective on it.

I typically do not like to have a girlfriend, or a girl that I see often. I like to use parties for part of gaming, since weekends and free time go together.

One problem that I ran into is that with out a beer, I just got annoyed left and right by people asking why. When I explain why, most do not like it and are almost intimidated by it in a way. Out of preference, in this case I’d like to make myself seem normal.

I also think you should just be yourself. I’m in college and I don’t normally drink. Sometimes I do, but like you, it doesn’t fit into my diet. I just figure that someone who can’t respect my commitment to looking good and being strong isn’t someone I really want to spend much time around anyway.

[quote]northcutt wrote:
One problem that I ran into is that with out a beer, I just got annoyed left and right by people asking why. When I explain why, most do not like it and are almost intimidated by it in a way. Out of preference, in this case I’d like to make myself seem normal.[/quote]
Hmmm… okay. So saying “I’m not drinking tonight, that means more for y’all” is a pain? Cool. It’s just that you say you’re tired of these goofballs and seeming to be out of place, but all you’re really doing is being a poseur. No offense, but pretending to drink to fit in is kinda weak. You’re you, if they don’t like it, tough.

“Yes. This is water. I don’t feel like drinking tonight.”

This is not brain surgery. I’ve used the line above combined with my appearance to get into certain panties before. I’ve found that chicks dig willpower and NOT being a drunk asshole quite a bit. Just my 2.

heh, i get fucked up all the time, and the lifting gains keep coming…

…but yeah, if u dont wanna drink dont, my friends that dont drink as much as me always get hotter chicks…

Dexslave:

How do yu get fucked up and keep the gains coming?

Also, to the dude who originally wrote this post, I COMPLETELY understand why your wrote, I have gone through the same shit. Basically, if you want, having a few drinks a week, maybe designating one night, will not cause any real set backs. Just make sure that your are eating right and working out HARD.
But, if you honestly do not want to drink, although that is not a bad idea, it is always better to be honest. I don’t have a girl either and haven’t for a while (because I like to be single, go the gym when I want, eat when I want, and NOT DRINK when I want). When I find the right girl who understands or who is supportive, then I will get committed. Enough about me though. Have fun in school while your there. No regrets bro.

It was actually working out that made me give up drinking back in grad school. I’d gone out on a Friday, had just a couple glasses of wine, didn’t stay out too late. I didn’t stay up too late (for that period of my life). Got up the next morning, went to the UConn Field House to work out, and felt “off” by just enough, and my head was just fuzzy enough, that I said to myself “How is this helping me?”

Dropped the alcohol; now I sip if there’s a toast at a wedding or something, but if my total annual intake added up to 1/4 cup of alcohol, I’d be surprised. It’d been over 20 years and I haven’t felt like I missed anything.

If you have reasons not to drink, just don’t drink. The people around you won’t give a damn.

I can feel the difference alcohol makes for almost a week in my performence in the gym. Not one beer, buit if I have 6+ I can feel it for almost a week later.

When I’m with a group at say a party and someone questions why I"m not partaking of the “spirit”, I say because I am the designated driver. Which is the truth.

I always volunteer to drive. That way my friends or family all get home safe because I wont drink. THey know I wont drink and thus they feel more comfortable letting it all hang out. What they dont remember doing, I do.

I understand what you are saying and why you’re doing the whole bottle thing. However, I think probably you are just offering up too much info when asked why you aren’t drinking. Just say “I’m fine thanks” or “Don’t feel like it” etc. and the conversation can then move on. Here is what I think is happening.

“Hey, what’s up. You’re not drinking?”

“No, blah, blah protein synthesis, alcohol sugar, blah blah”

“Uh, ok. I’m gonna go now douche-bag.”

I’ve found the only idiots who give you a hard time for not drinking aren’t worth hanging around with anyway.

I gave up drinking altogether when I was 21 and haven’t looked back, I still go the pub a lot, but when I see all the drunken morons lumbering about looking for fights and the end of the night, I remember why I stopped.

As everyone has said, driving is the easiest way to get out of any of these situations, and the designated driver doesn’t have to get the beers in - I’ve saved so much money I wonder how I afforded it before.

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
thats not a bad idea

I know it decreases your testosterone, but how is it that alcohol calories are bad for the lifter that is trying to get big?[/quote]

Alcohol is estrogenic, and a poison. If you’re a lifter, you want to consume ‘clean’ calories. You obviously want to limit anything that is estrogenic from your diet. Everyone knows that alcohol and a healthy lifestyle doens’t mix, let alone a person who’s trying to put quality gains on.

I used to drink a lot, and in turn didn’t care about my body. I lifted durning those years, but not with the dedication I have now. I ate like shit, and drank all the time. As soon as I decided to quit drinking, my body busted out and I became the god that I am now… haha… no seriously… I owe a lot of changes in my life to not drinking. Motivation, awareness of health, and just plain clarity.

I understand it’s hard when you’re around the shit all the time, but just know that there is a certain pride that comes out of discipline… and you don’t need to pretend for anyone… The peeps that blow shit at you for not drinking, are morons and obviously not quality.

Keep disciplined and you’ll do fine.

[quote]apayne wrote:
I understand what you are saying and why you’re doing the whole bottle thing. However, I think probably you are just offering up too much info when asked why you aren’t drinking. Just say “I’m fine thanks” or “Don’t feel like it” etc. and the conversation can then move on. Here is what I think is happening.

“Hey, what’s up. You’re not drinking?”

“No, blah, blah protein synthesis, alcohol sugar, blah blah”

“Uh, ok. I’m gonna go now douche-bag.” [/quote]

apayne, you have a way of cutting to the quick that I really like. Good advice!

You can nurse a beer. One drink isn’t that bad, and that way you can avoid having to explain yourself etc. Most importantly if you do get with a non-cute girl you can blame it on the drinking, and tell everyone that you had at least ten that night.

Ok, are some of you fucking serious? Be a man, and show some confidence. Be a damn leader, and stand up for what you do. Don’t be a pussy and act drunk. Don’t fill up any alcoholic containers/red cups w/ water to try and fit in. Bring a nice clear aquafina water bottle to the party and sip merrily. If someone asks why you aren’t drinking, tell them because you don’t want to. Tell them you don’t feel like it. Don’t lecture them on how drinking negatively affects protein synthesis and hormone levels, hurting muscle gain/fat loss/strength/overall health. Just tell them you aren’t drinking tonight. The truth works well, try it. If you’re so insecure that you need to fake drinking, you’ve got more problems than trying to add a few lbs. of muscle.

[quote]SheekLouche wrote:
Dexslave:

How do yu get fucked up and keep the gains coming?

[/quote]

it comes from being only 170 lbs and a beginner :wink:

but as an example, at winter break i was squatting 4x10 at 155, now, its 4x10 at 255

I just say “I’m training for a fight”.

that usually leads to nakedness.