T Nation

College Nutrition

So, I know I know how to eat right. And I know what I need in my fridge. But somehow, this isn’t working out. In my apartment (i share with three other girls), I’m finding it extremely difficult to eat properly. And I’m not just talking about the stares at my protein shake they saw me make today in our blender (protein powder, natural peanut butter, oats, olive oil). I’m talking about the lack of room in the fridge (everyone’s pokey stix and leftover frozen pizzas), the lack of room in the freezer (frozen pizzas, mozzarella sticks, corndogs, eggo waffles, chicken nuggets, ice cream…) and the fact that i’m not “allowed” to have a mini freezer of my own because it will take up too much energy (even though one roomate insisted on having the ac on at 70 degrees while it was still warm out).

this may sound like a rant here, and it is- but it’s also a cry for help- i work in a bbq restaurant about 30 hours a week, go to school full time, and try to get in 4 or 5 workouts a week while not failing out of school. what can i do to improve my ease of nutrition? i only have acess to a grocery store about once a week, because of time restraints, and i don’t have much room to keep food refrigerated or frozen. any suggestions?

also, since i don’t have a lot of time (NOT cuz i can’t cook, i can and LOVE to cook), does anyone have simple recipes that don’t take a ton of time to make?

i’d really appreciate the feedback.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. See if there is any way you can take control of the fridge, or at least a little more room in it. Any friends in adjacent rooms that will let you have a fridge there? It’s gonna seem weird probably, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

My restaraunt is really cool and would let me store stuff in their fridge if I needed to, see if thats the case.

stock up on healthier canned food choices… trader joes is a godsend to me. Either that or take a sunday out to cook for the next 4 days… and just make a shake when you’re short on time. It took me a month to get used to college, now im back on track (i ate breakfast drunk for 10 days straight), and figured out how to work out and eat right 5-6 times a day. Just stay at it man. Oh, and Biotest bars and fruit are good when you’re on the go.

Calorie dense foods such as peanuts are great. Chocolate bars and chocolate milk are great as well.

Sounds like you have a tough situation. The best thing to do is just be honest with yourself and your goals and make the best of you tough situation. Being in college is hard enough, having to work that much makes it virtually impossible. I can’t believe you get a workout in actually! You’ve heard some good tips before. Your gonna just have to do the best you can and tell yourself that you are doing the best you can.

Be assertive and demand a corner even if a small one in the fridge. If you stick to your guns you will be lean and healthy and feeling great. After one year of eating what you mentioned and the beer drinking that goes with it your roomies will be lard asses (if they aren’t already).

Stay strong,

D

I’m also in college, and live with a girl who doesn’t really care about nutrition. Her groceries are mostly snacks, with the exceptions of buying some ground beef and macaroni…but its MY food that takes up all the space in the fridge.

Buy some canned chicken. Throw it in a small pot with some olive oil and spices, make a sandwhich out of it. Use WW tortillas and make tacos. Its a quick, high protein/good fat meal.

Second the canned goods.

I have canned chicken, tuna, salmon, turkey and ham. I just stack it up in my closet and probably eat about one or two cans of something a day.

There are a few articles in the archives by Steven Berardi (John’s brother, I think) on this topic.

[quote]tark9570 wrote:
So, I know I know how to eat right. And I know what I need in my fridge. But somehow, this isn’t working out. In my apartment (i share with three other girls), I’m finding it extremely difficult to eat properly. And I’m not just talking about the stares at my protein shake they saw me make today in our blender (protein powder, natural peanut butter, oats, olive oil). I’m talking about the lack of room in the fridge (everyone’s pokey stix and leftover frozen pizzas), the lack of room in the freezer (frozen pizzas, mozzarella sticks, corndogs, eggo waffles, chicken nuggets, ice cream…) and the fact that i’m not “allowed” to have a mini freezer of my own because it will take up too much energy (even though one roomate insisted on having the ac on at 70 degrees while it was still warm out).

this may sound like a rant here, and it is- but it’s also a cry for help- i work in a bbq restaurant about 30 hours a week, go to school full time, and try to get in 4 or 5 workouts a week while not failing out of school. what can i do to improve my ease of nutrition? i only have acess to a grocery store about once a week, because of time restraints, and i don’t have much room to keep food refrigerated or frozen. any suggestions?

also, since i don’t have a lot of time (NOT cuz i can’t cook, i can and LOVE to cook), does anyone have simple recipes that don’t take a ton of time to make?

i’d really appreciate the feedback.[/quote]

Get a mini-fridge. Tell your soon-to-be fat, slutty rommates that you’ll have a fridge so long as they use hair dryers.

You work too hard to put up with this bullshit. Seriously.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Get a mini-fridge. Tell your soon-to-be fat, slutty rommates that you’ll have a fridge so long as they use hair dryers.

You work too hard to put up with this bullshit. Seriously.[/quote]

First, I don’t see how their sexual practices are an issue here. That’s pretty tasteless on your behalf.

To the OP, I suggest you do get a minifridge. It should say right on it what the energy consumption is. I’m willing to bet it comes to less than $60/year. Point out that a desktop computer that’s left on all the time can use $30/month of electricity. It also wouldn’t be too hard for you to make comparisons to televisions, air conditioners, the oven (this is huge if they make lots of frozen pizzas), hot showers, etc. You should be able to prove that what you are asking for is insignificant by comparison.

If that doesn’t work, tell them you’ll pay however much extra the fridge uses in electricity. It’ll seriously be a few dollars a month. And if it comes to that, you might want to make them pay extra for their discretional usage as well. If you do that, you guys probably won’t be friends anymore.

that’s my problem, i guess- i’m trying to be diplomatic about it, especially as i have to live with one of the girls next year- luckily, two people have a much easier time sharing a fridge than 4. it’s not so much the refrigerator as it is the freezer- i have the most time on fridays (no calss, only a lunch shift at work) so i try and cook a lot then.

i guess it’s hard when your best friends and roomates don’t understand how hard you work to obtain a certain physique/strength/conditioning- i only know one person who actually can empathize- (haha, brian, you stalker, you’re probably reading this right now). the rest of them (including my family) either laugh at me or think i have an unhealthy obsession with my body and trying to look a certain way.

damn frozen pizzas. damn tator tots. damn insomnia cookies.

end rant

by the way, like the avatar

Powdered milk = fucking great. I, also a student, live in a house where fridge space is a premium, and powdered milk is cheap, high quality source of calories that doesn’t need to be kept cool. As an added bonus, you can take it with you and mix it after your workout. Yeah, it tastes like ass, but you get used to it.

[quote]tark9570 wrote:
by the way, like the avatar[/quote]

I do like the avatar

Now to the serious stuff. I had a problem like this last year. I got to the point where I would ahve my roomate just give me money for food and I would cook for both of us. Make take more time but then u get the right food. And eventualy my roomate decided to try the gym for a while. He didn’t keep going but he saw where I came from.

This is the book I lived (and still kinda do) in college.

Trust me, it will get you through and and keep you jacked.

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
I’m willing to bet it comes to less than $60/year.[/quote]

I did some budgeting recently and worked out that my minifridge cost me 30 Aussie to run for the full year. All fridges should come with an energy rating per year of use e.g. 270 kWh per year of use in the case of my fridge. The power bill should include a statement of what is charged per kWh, which lets you work out exactly how much it should have cost.

Good luck with sorting your problem out.

Wait a minute…

You’re in college and you live with three chicks? What the hell do you care what’s in your damn fridge? You need to concentrate all of your time and energy into establishing a clothing optional policy for the apartment, and then figuring out how to enforce it.

being a chick myself, and unfortunatley straight, we already walk around in some state of undress.

[quote]tark9570 wrote:
being a chick myself, and unfortunatley straight, we already walk around in some state of undress.[/quote]

Oh damn- you just ruined my whole plan for you. I thought you were a guy. Don’t know why. Then for a second I was excited again, then you said you were straight.

Way to ruin my day.

Seriously though- you pay for 1/4 of the rent you should get 1/4 of the space- that would include the fridge and the cupboards. You should be able to find space to put some healthy things.

You could also offer to cook for your roommates on occasion- they may be more willing to give up space if they know they will get something out of it.