College Major ?

[quote]EatSleepLift wrote:
Also, you probably won’t be able to double major in exercise science and business- both programs are extremely competitive here as you must know if you’re considering it.

Similarly, I hope to run a sports medicine facility. I’m really using exercise science to get to my Physical Therapy graduate work, but it helps that what I’m studying is what I’m into.

A word about the program- I got a 1400 on my SAT’s and barely got in. It’s pretty tough to get into. [/quote]

you don’t need an excercise science degree to run a business, even if the business is a gym.

you need to understand what the market wants and give it to them. most people who use a gym don’t give a hoot who the owner is as long as they are happy with the available equipment and prices.

a gym owner would benefit from hiring a trainer with excercise degrees and certificates, but doesn’t necessarily need an excercise degree himself.

the owners typically spend time doing the administrative stuff to make the gym work on the business side.

throwing an exercise science major in to the role of a business owner would give the poor guy a severe disadvantage.

[quote]Arms Afire wrote:
Well, you’re going to need a degree in Exercise Physiology.

One in Business Admin, especially in marketing.

One in Nutrition.

Those are just the BA’s and BSBA.

You’ll also need a Master’s Degree in Exercise and one in Nutrition. A PhD would help. And a bunch of money to get your gym.

OR, you could have several years in the industry with the appropriate references, repeated frequent demonstrated success in assisting trainees in achieving their goals, and a PT certificate. Toss in a few classes in marketing, nutrition, accounting, etc. That and a bunch of money to get your gym.

If you have either of these I MIGHT let you work with my teenager.

After a background check.[/quote]

did you background check your gym owner before joining? that is silly.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
Arms Afire wrote:
Well, you’re going to need a degree in Exercise Physiology.

One in Business Admin, especially in marketing.

One in Nutrition.

Those are just the BA’s and BSBA.

You’ll also need a Master’s Degree in Exercise and one in Nutrition. A PhD would help. And a bunch of money to get your gym.

OR, you could have several years in the industry with the appropriate references, repeated frequent demonstrated success in assisting trainees in achieving their goals, and a PT certificate. Toss in a few classes in marketing, nutrition, accounting, etc. That and a bunch of money to get your gym.

If you have either of these I MIGHT let you work with my teenager.

After a background check.

did you background check your gym owner before joining? that is silly. [/quote]

I think he may have meant before hiring someone to personally train his high school athlete. There are enough creepy people out there today to warrant a background check.

Texasguy gave you good advice. The first response is good as well. You can get your CSCS with any degree from college (if I’m wrong please correct me). There are a lot of components to running a business. I actually thought about owning a gym, but realized with only my kinesiology degree I would not even know where to begin. If you really want to go into business I would major in business.

Train a couple athletes or one in particular, hope he or one of the few make it to a D1 school and then use him for your personal benefit. I’ve known at least one trainer that has done this…

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
EatSleepLift wrote:

Physical Therapy isn’t some bullshit certificate like personal trainer. It’s a masters and a doctorate degree. You’re telling him to major in something and minor in something else and then get a teaching certificate. That’s logically a decade of education right there, sorry we don’t all go to community college, where those degrees don’t even exist.

Please explain to me how a 4 (or 5) year bachelors degree in exercise science with a minor in business management is nearly a decade of education?

Last time I checked, 4 was less than 10.

I never said anything about physical therapy school. I never compared physical therapy to personal training. Did you actually read anything I wrote? What the fuck are you talking about

A teaching certificate is not hard to get. 6 months at the most. A degree would take years. I said certificate.

And in case you were implying that I attend a “community college”, you can suck your own shit out, because I attend a University with a top 20 Undergraduate business program

Maybe when you said “decade of education”, you meant including high school…I suggest you go back there and learn to read again. Thanks.
[/quote]

Look fuckwad.

You suggested an undergraduate degree with a minor. Then a physical therapy CERTIFICATE. This is where you likened it to personal training- personal training certificates mean essentially nothing and can be obtained in literally one week.

There’s no such thing as a Physical Therapy CERTIFICATE- PT is a degree and requires a minimum of 9 semesters of gradute work (usually 3 fall 3 spring 3 summer). Then you pulled this teaching certificate bullshit out, which does NOT take 6 months to complete, it’s probably another 2 years minimum.

4 (undergradute) + 3 (PT) + 2( teaching “certificate”) = 9 = nearly a decade.

I read what you wrote, the problem was you’re dumb.

If you want to argue with that, I’m just going to point out again that you suggested someone go through all this education and teach high school PE.

Obviously, you did not read what I wrote.

If you did, youre fucking stupid to still be arguing with me over things that I DID NOT SAY.

I never said “physical therapy certificate”. I said personal training certificate. As in a bullshit, easy to get credential that looks like more than it is. Especially to the parents of HS athletes. You know, those people who will one day be the ones paying for the services.

I never suggested teaching HS PE as a career, but something to pay the bills while coaching HS football. I thought I made it pretty clear that from there, he should work as hard as possible to build a reputation and get a job at a university.

I love how you call bullshit on the number I produced for obtaining a teaching certificate and then make up your own number. A degree in education takes 4 years. A certification takes 6 months.

Stop trying to be a fucking toughguy, no one gives a fuck.

fightingtiger wrote:
EatSleepLift wrote:

Physical Therapy isn’t some bullshit certificate like personal trainer. It’s a masters and a doctorate degree. You’re telling him to major in something and minor in something else and then get a teaching certificate. That’s logically a decade of education right there, sorry we don’t all go to community college, where those degrees don’t even exist.

Please explain to me how a 4 (or 5) year bachelors degree in exercise science with a minor in business management is nearly a decade of education?

Last time I checked, 4 was less than 10.

I never said anything about physical therapy school. I never compared physical therapy to personal training. Did you actually read anything I wrote? What the fuck are you talking about

A teaching certificate is not hard to get. 6 months at the most. A degree would take years. I said certificate.

And in case you were implying that I attend a “community college”, you can suck your own shit out, because I attend a University with a top 20 Undergraduate business program

Maybe when you said “decade of education”, you meant including high school…I suggest you go back there and learn to read again. Thanks.

Look fuckwad.

You suggested an undergraduate degree with a minor. Then a physical therapy CERTIFICATE. This is where you likened it to personal training- personal training certificates mean essentially nothing and can be obtained in literally one week.

There’s no such thing as a Physical Therapy CERTIFICATE- PT is a degree and requires a minimum of 9 semesters of gradute work (usually 3 fall 3 spring 3 summer). Then you pulled this teaching certificate bullshit out, which does NOT take 6 months to complete, it’s probably another 2 years minimum.

4 (undergradute) + 3 (PT) + 2( teaching “certificate”) = 9 = nearly a decade.

I read what you wrote, the problem was you’re dumb.

If you want to argue with that, I’m just going to point out again that you suggested someone go through all this education and teach high school PE.

[/quote]

Take it easy on the insults, especially since you are totally wrong.

PT certificate = personal trainer certificate. The guy knows what it takes to become a Physical Therapist. PT also can mean “part-time”. Crazy.

And it’s not too hard to get a teaching certificate once you have a degree, but it does depend on the state. The math and science teachers that I know around here have a degree in their subject plus some extra teaching coursework.

Get CSCS certified as soon as possible, also try to get an internship with a sports team. If you are getting a degree in exercise physiology you should try talking to one of the Strength and Conditioning GA’s and find out what you have to do to get on.

You could also check out NCAA.org and footballscoop.com for GA positions. They will want you to have a degree, and be CSCS certified, but if you get on, you will be able to work with DI athletes. From there you can build your resume.

I think you choose a path that would allow you to get an internship with a leader in field (i.e. Defranco himself, Boyle, Cressy, etc.). Having a successful mentor in the field would be your greatest asset to achieving your goal.

Although I still think everything you said is retarded, I do admit I thought you meant Physical Therapy by “PT”, since that’s what it stands for.

DPT
Doctor of Physical Therapy

PT certified
Who is going to think this stands for Personal Training rather than Physical Therapy?

[quote]tveddy wrote:
Get CSCS certified as soon as possible, also try to get an internship with a sports team. If you are getting a degree in exercise physiology you should try talking to one of the Strength and Conditioning GA’s and find out what you have to do to get on.

You could also check out NCAA.org and footballscoop.com for GA positions. They will want you to have a degree, and be CSCS certified, but if you get on, you will be able to work with DI athletes. From there you can build your resume.[/quote]

Good advice. Plus you said you will be going to UConn, so try to get in touch with the basketball and/or football coaches, and get your foot in the door. You gotta start somewhere. I think working for Coach Calhoun would be pretty sweet, and you are at one of the premier D-1 basketball schools in the country, so take advantage of it.

Who is going to think this stands for Personal Training rather than Physical Therapy? [/quote]

I did

PT certified
Who is going to think this stands for Personal Training rather than Physical Therapy? [/quote]

Apparently everyone except for you. Now why would you consider my advice retarded? Do you have experience in what were talking about here besides for being an undergrad in the field he is considering?

No. You dont. All of the advice posted here has been speculation on what might work. He wanted suggestions and he got them. What good has your bullshit done this guy? None. Calling me a fuckwad and talking about how wrong I am without offering any advice of you own does him how much good? None. Its a little ironic that most of the people posting on this thread have actually agreed with my “retarded” advice.

I think you need to find a new hobby. Being an internet hardass apparently isnt working out too well for you. Maybe you could focus more on that degree youve been talking so much shit about instead.

To the OP, sorry for the hijack.