T Nation

College Football

I give up…

Playoffs. The only remedy. If this season doesn’t prove the need for something better than we have now, nothing will.

OSU vs. LSU?

This will be a season without a real national champion.

I’m actually glad this scenario has happened. Anything to highlight how idiotic the current system is, I’ll take it.

Looks like Ohio St. vs. LSU

But: USC, Georgia, Kansas, Oklahoma all have valid complaints to be included as well.

No reason why there can’t be a playoff if Div. I-AA, II and III all have it.

You can still have bowl games, just don’t include the teams that make the playoff.

I’d go with a 16-team playoff. Take the conference champs and then a couple of wildcard teams (based on polls) and go from there.

I am a die hard Buckeyes fan, so I’m not totally depressed. But I imagine it will be OSU-LSU, and I really can’t stomach calling either team worthy of being called a national champion. We definitely need playoffs.

on another note, who’s going to win the heisman?

Ohio St. is in.

KU and UGA failed to win their divisions, let alone conferences. Take a seat.

USC (10-2, 7-2) lost at home to a (4-8, 3-6) Stanford team!!

VT (11-2, 7-1) lost by FORTY-ONE POINTS at LSU. Also lost a home game to BC (10-3, 6-2) by 4, later avenged.

LSU (11-2, 6-2) lost by 6 at (7-5, 3-5) Kentucky by 6 in 3OT, and at home to Arkansas (8-4, 4-4) by 2 in 3OT. Beat #5 VT at home by 41 on Sept 8th.

OU (11-2, 6-2) lost by 3 at Colorado (6-6, 4-4) on final-play FG, and by 7 at Texas Tech (8-4, 4-4) after QB got knocked out the game on the first snap. Also beat #1 Mizzou (11-2, 7-1) twice, including a 21 point win on a neutral field on Dec. 1st.

VT and USC each have an ugly, ugly loss that I just can’t overlook, and neither have the marquee victories that OU or LSU have. USC also has one fewer victory than the other three teams.

Objectively, it’s down to LSU or OU.

Play offs would settle who’s really the best in a very big way.

I never got the BCS bullshit.

But uh…

GEAUX TIGERS!

Hawaii - 12-0.

They deserve a shot. Everyone else in the BCS has crapped out at least once. Hawaii is the only one to take care of business every week.

Don’t give me the strength of schedule crap. LSU played a couple of crap teams as did OSU.

Fucking Buckeyes are in. No talent ass clowns if ever there were such a thing.

Ohio State is definitely in. I don’t really believe they are the #1 team in the country, but that is undeniably where they will be ranked.

After that, you have to use the same logic this week as you have all season when voting. If that is done Georgia will be #2. If this was any other week that is exactly where they would be and nobody would even argue about it. Everyone seems to forget Nebraska played for the title in 2001 when, not only did they not win their conference championship, but they lost their last game by some 50 points to Colorado.

As bad as the bcs is, it would be even more of a disgrace to go against the rating system they have been using all year just to pick the two teams that they want to see. The only positive I can see from picking USC/OU/LSU is that Georgia will be #2 in the AP Poll, setting up a perfect scenario for split National champions.

Personally my vote would go to Hawaii, there is no argument against them and they have done something that every single other Division 1 team has failed to do.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Hawaii - 12-0.

They deserve a shot. Everyone else in the BCS has crapped out at least once. Hawaii is the only one to take care of business every week.

Don’t give me the strength of schedule crap. LSU played a couple of crap teams as did OSU.

Fucking Buckeyes are in. No talent ass clowns if ever there were such a thing. [/quote]

I am on board with Hawaii. They played the schedule and won 'em all.
Ohio State is going to be amazing next year. They aren’t this year though.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Fucking Buckeyes are in. No talent ass clowns if ever there were such a thing. [/quote]

Now, now, let’s not be bitter. This years team isn’t exactly a world beater, but the Buckeyes have done just as much under Jim Tressel as any other program in the country. And hell, they only have 2 seniors on the whole damn team, so they could possibly return as monsters next year.

Ohio State is in.

LSU needs to be in, not Georgia. If Georgia gets in, there will be major rioting going on. After all, Georgia didn’t even win their own DIVISION, let alone conference. Both of LSU’s losses were in triple overtime, including one to Kentucky who was ranked very high.

Obviously, I’m going to make a case for the Sooners, but being ranked #9 is too low to get to the title game. At least we took care of business yesterday and are heading to the Fiesta Bowl.

I don’t think Hawaii has a shot of playing for the title. There is no way they can jump from 12 to 2 to play for the title. And I don’t buy the SOS either; they are undefeated, and beat every team on their schedule, so that’s a feat in itself, regardless of who you play.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
on another note, who’s going to win the heisman?[/quote]

I’m going with Colt Brennan. Only undefeated team in D-1A, monster season, which included breaking several records. Tim Tebow, Darren McFadden, and Chase Daniel are viable candidates as well.

It’s odd how at the beginning of the season, everyone on sports TV, radio, and magazines were talking about if Hawaii goes undefeated, Colt Brennan wins the Heisman hands down.

Now they are undefeated, no one is talking about him for the Heisman. Very unfair for Colt, he deserves it.

Um, could someone tell me again why there is a need for a playoff system? Are not we, talking College Football?

Playoffs maybe for the guy’s who make $400K a year or better. For a bunch of kids though? Shouldn’t there be a more pronounced focus on Educating the athlete first?

Blame Mizzou or W.V for losing,because it was theres to lose.

Hawaii, got screwed.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Ohio State is in.

LSU needs to be in, not Georgia. If Georgia gets in, there will be major rioting going on. After all, Georgia didn’t even win their own DIVISION, let alone conference. Both of LSU’s losses were in triple overtime, including one to Kentucky who was ranked very high.

Obviously, I’m going to make a case for the Sooners, but being ranked #9 is too low to get to the title game. At least we took care of business yesterday and are heading to the Fiesta Bowl.

I don’t think Hawaii has a shot of playing for the title. There is no way they can jump from 12 to 2 to play for the title. And I don’t buy the SOS either; they are undefeated, and beat every team on their schedule, so that’s a feat in itself, regardless of who you play.[/quote]

You forget that Nebraska didn’t make it to their conference championship in 2001, yet still played for the national title. There is no rule against this, and Nebraska set a precedent that should stand.

I don’t think anybody is going to argue that the BCS is flawed, but even worse than a flawed system is one in which people stand by all season long, only to ditch the system and simply select who they want to see. Any other week and Georgia would have been ranked #2. This is a complete disgrace.

On a side note, it was nice to see Hawaii picked up a number one vote in both the AP and Coaches poll. I am hoping LSU and Hawaii both win. Hawaii would then be undefeated and the only team without TWO losses, given Kansas’ sure loss to VaTech. If this happens people will have to start talking about Hawaii. I mean, how do you name a two-loss team the National Champion when you have an undefeated team just sitting there?

[quote]58buggs wrote:
Um, could someone tell me again why there is a need for a playoff system? Are not we, talking College Football?

Playoffs maybe for the guy’s who make $400K a year or better. For a bunch of kids though? Shouldn’t there be a more pronounced focus on Educating the athlete first?

Blame Mizzou or W.V for losing,because it was theres to lose.

Hawaii, got screwed. [/quote]

Good point, it’s not like these kids are spending time practicing before their bowl game or anything, and obviously the D-2 kids must be complete morons, seeing as they spend so much time in the playoffs they mustn’t have time left to spend in the classroom.

I cried when West Virginia lost. They are a heart break team. They only lose a game if it can completely destroy their fans. First lose to USF just to keep yourself from being number 1, then you lose to Pitt to stay out of the title game. They treat their fans like shht they dno’t deserve fans anymore.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I cried when West Virginia lost. They are a heart break team. They only lose a game if it can completely destroy their fans. First lose to USF just to keep yourself from being number 1, then you lose to Pitt to stay out of the title game. They treat their fans like shht they dno’t deserve fans anymore.[/quote]

That, I think, is the biggest upset of the year. Everything that needed to happen for them to be #1 and playing in the BCS championship happened…except they LOST.

Of all the bowl games I am looking forward to WV vs Oklahoma the most.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Hawaii - 12-0.

Fucking Buckeyes are in. No talent ass clowns if ever there were such a thing.

I am on board with Hawaii. They played the schedule and won 'em all.
Ohio State is going to be amazing next year. They aren’t this year though.[/quote]

I’ll drink to that. They are the only team this year that didn’t bite it. OSU is going to be slaughtered, they don’t have the talent LSU has.

If college football doesn’t have a playoff next year, someone needs to lose their job and/or get shot. This is just bullshit.

Shut your whining.

GO TIGERS!!!