College Football

Back to my SEC:

I thought that they were going to be able to yield enough power and influence with the NCAA to get AT LEAST a “plus-1” playoff started of 4 teams.

It didn’t happen.

At the end of the year, its mostly SEC Teams who lose out or “get screwed” with BCS rankings because while they tend to spank just about everyone OUTSIDE the Conference; they end up beating each other up!

(Can you say “Auburn”?)

Oh, well…as I understand it, the BCS, as is, will be with us until 2012? (You guys correct me if I’m wrong).

Mufasa

Another interesting story to follow in the Big-12.

Let’s face it, guys; money goes a LONG way to bringing a Program to prominence.

T-Boone Pickens has poured a LOT of money into O-State Football.

This is my feeling, though (and maybe its sounds a little “Pollyanna”):

You have to get the talent on the field, or all the money in the World won’t mean a whole lot.

We’ll see. Should be interesting.

Mufasa

If anything, I would like to see the Pac-10 get more respect than they have in the past. I think the teams here in the West are much better and more improved. The Midwest doesn’t have the power it did before, with the exception of Ohio State. Michigan and Notre Dame have fallen from grace, and will take quite a bit of work to rise back. I expect Georgia to do well, along with LSU, and my Trojans.

Why there isn’t a playoff system just pisses me off. Always come down to money. Each Bowl Game would have less significance and yield less money, since the most important game would be the last. Still I hope someone thinks up something better than the BCS.

Max:

The Pac-10 is solid.

What they had to do was for some of it’s member schools (notably Oregon State, WASU and Oregon) to stop being the “doormats”. I think that’s been done. They all now have pretty solid programs.

(Washington was historically solid, but fell on some “bad times” in the 90’s and early 2000’s).

Now its a question of consistency among those all the Pac-10 teams.

I’m not as up on Arizona and ASU Football, but I’ve been studying them more lately.

There is some SOLID talent in those Western States; but UCLA and USC get most of it!

Mufasa

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Why there isn’t a playoff system just pisses me off. Always come down to money. Each Bowl Game would have less significance and yield less money, since the most important game would be the last. Still I hope someone thinks up something better than the BCS.[/quote]

Something like what college basketball has? Everybody has a lot of fun? What about the rest of the season, though? Not near as many people pay attention.

In a sense, the entire college football season is a playoff and I love it. So does almost everybody else. They just dont seem to realize it. Every week people are checking the scores and watching shows and getting excited in a way that only college basketball fans do during March Madness.

The whole season is just about making March Madness and putting yourself in a decent position to win. You’re almost guaranteed to lose a game and losing a game here adn there doesn’t matter. Once you get to March it really doesn’t matter if you finished as the #1 team or the #10 team. Every week football teams are putting everything on the line and every spot in the polls is important.

How often does college football not have a clear champ? Sometimes I feel that maybe this team could beat this team at the end but shoot, I’m still not convinced Memphis wasn’t the best college basketball team this year and they had a huge tournament.

[quote]Spike9726 wrote:
TCU Horned Frogs here. Lots of people returning. Had a rough season but finished strong and won our bowl. The QB Andy Dalton is now a soph, TB Aaron Brown is healthy, look out Mountain West Conference. Also have OOC against Stanford and OU in Norman. We’ve won the last 2 times in Norman.

GO FROGS!!![/quote]

I am a little scared to play you guys. At least we have you at home.

Not quite the same, E…(but I see your argument).

The Basketball seasons are longer with twice the number of games. Because of that, its more a case of not getting a clear picture of who is in contention until right before or right after the Conference Tournaments.

(And believe me when I say that when Duke and North Carolina play each other; or Villanova and Georgetown; or Texas and OU; or ANY arch rivals; there is as much excitement, if not more, than during March Madness!)

The argument is not for some “Wide Open”, 16-Team Playoff (which personally I think would be cool!)…but perhaps the Top 4 to 6 (maybe eight).

At the end of the year, that number of Teams is usually where the controversy lies.

Mufasa

Top 4 teams would be fine with me, but you would have to get the 4 teams right…which wouldn’t happen. So then there would be controversy over which 4 teams should have made it. You would likely get even more teams complaining about not getting a shot. Once you get to 8 you are making a huge change to college football and that is pretty obvious.

I don’t know why everybody is so eager to change things that are working so well. There are people that enjoy college football more than anything else and they want to act like they should have a playoff system because all the other sports have one. Well, maybe one of the reasons that they think that college football is the best has something to do with the fact that it DOESN’T have a playoff system. Maybe they wouldn’t enjoy it as much if it had one.

[quote]Eielson wrote:
Top 4 teams would be fine with me, but you would have to get the 4 teams right…which wouldn’t happen. So then there would be controversy over which 4 teams should have made it. You would likely get even more teams complaining about not getting a shot. Once you get to 8 you are making a huge change to college football and that is pretty obvious.

I don’t know why everybody is so eager to change things that are working so well. There are people that enjoy college football more than anything else and they want to act like they should have a playoff system because all the other sports have one. Well, maybe one of the reasons that they think that college football is the best has something to do with the fact that it DOESN’T have a playoff system. Maybe they wouldn’t enjoy it as much if it had one.[/quote]

I agree 4-2-1 would be the thing. While I love the 1 AA playoffs, the bowls keep that possibility of happening in A ball unlikely

[quote]Geebus wrote:
Spike9726 wrote:
TCU Horned Frogs here. Lots of people returning. Had a rough season but finished strong and won our bowl. The QB Andy Dalton is now a soph, TB Aaron Brown is healthy, look out Mountain West Conference. Also have OOC against Stanford and OU in Norman. We’ve won the last 2 times in Norman.

GO FROGS!!!

I am a little scared to play you guys. At least we have you at home.[/quote]

You should come to Ft Worth instead, the visiting team has won atleast the last 4 meetings.

We were coming off a 5-6 season and ended up having the best season in atleast 40 years when we played you last. I’m sure we caught you a bit off guard, doubt we’ll be so lucky this time. The core of the secondary has graduated but Coach Patterson likes to rotate a lot of people so not many truly green players.

The O-line and QB should be strengths. The real question is will Joseph Turner be healthy enough or Chris Smith emerge as the between the tackles running thread to balance our OC’s cutesy play calling and fascination with the short side of the field.

You guys have been the class of the B12 for some time w/ the exception of the Vince Young years. Without him UT is a 3-4 loss team, and Mack is a pretty average coach. With a more seasoned QB and a few breaks we might have beaten UT down there.

Some thoughts:

People have loved College Football, especially Division 1 (FBS) for a long time.

BCS or no BCS, people just Love College Football.

What they have hated, for as long as they have loved the game itself ,is the way the National Champion was picked.

Prior to the BCS, it was a series of College Polls (mostly subjective “human” Polls)that decided the “Champion”. (Ask JoePa how much HE loved some of those decisions over the years! or Auburn and LSU!).

Now, its a series of complicated (albeit sophisticated) computer generated formulae that still include the subjective “human” polls; but also calculations like strength of schedule and the average of rankings of three different computer Polls.

(Confused yet?)

I don’t think its a case where people just “want a Playoff because other sports have them”. They just want the Champion decided on the field.

That’s it.

Also, remember that we are ONLY talking about the FBS (Division 1) subdivision. Division 1 and 2 have had successful playoffs for years.

Do I think things will change?

Certainly not before 2010; and for some reason, there are more powerful forces at work that want to maintain the status quo.

Mufasa

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
University of North Texas baby!

You know how we do![/quote]

I’m curious to see if Dodge can turn that program around. Darrell Dickey had it moving in the right direction but I don’t know what happened, the bottom just fell out.

I’ve been to a Mean Green game or 2 and had a blast. Besides they gave me an excuse to watch the New Orleans bowl. In fact I almost made that trip the year TCU didn’t make a bowl.

Geez…

Nobody wants to talk College Football ? :(—!!!

Mufasa

I’m a Notre Dame fan so I don’t really like talking about College Football after last season. Oh, and to make matters worse I grew up near Syracuse which has become a football abyss since McNabb left. One thing I enjoy talking about is my hatred for Ohio State!

GT Alumnus here. Go Jackets. Awesome new coach, but they are going to a brand new offense with, I believe, Sophomores at all skill positions. Should be interesting. I just hope we keep our bowl streak alive.

BTW, It’s too late to add any teams to the ACC. The conference is already to big with the addition of VT, BC, and Miami (not FSU they’ve been in the ACC some time). Those teams were supposed to bring the ACC some more credibility in football, but the first year the championship game was GT vs Wake. VT and BC have looked pretty good, but Miami and FSU have really tanked the past few years.

Agree, DD:

The addition of Miami, FSU earlier (they are not original ACC members), VT and BC were to be the big “boost”.

However, as some of the programs have struggled recently, ACC Football still remains the “second” Sport; and the expected boost in credibility has yet to materialize.

(…and NONE of them still want to tangle with East Carolina!..)

Mufasa

Hah! Yeah, as much as I love the ACC, about a halfway through football I always seem to find myself checking into how basketball is going to look for the year. It doesn’t help that I live in SEC country.

Another SEC fan here.

And I’m liking all the hype Georgia and Mr. Tebow get from ESPN. It gives the reigning Champs room to grow. I’m not up to speed on my Tigers’ QB situation, but if they get it figured out this season we may just get a repeat.

I may have to make a road trip to BR for the Georgia game, should be a good one.

Well, at least we can agree that uga should suffer colossal defeat. Ha!

Oh, and as for the BCS, it would at least be a step in the right direction to have ALL the conferences have a championship game in some form or fashion.