College Football Summer Program

I’m a junior in College, 21 yrs. old, I’ve been training hard for about 5 years…I play NG and some OG…I’m 6’1" 250 lbs with 15 percent BF…We recently tested out, I benched 225 17 times, did 25 strict form pull-ups, ran a 5.0 forty and a 9.5 T-Drill…

I’m going to tell you all what our strength coach gave us for the summer and ask you what you think of it and ask for advice on getting bigger/stronger and quicker…

Monday- 16x40yds with 45 sec. rest in between
10x10 broad jumps
10 vertical jumps

Tuesday- 300 yard gasser
10 T-runs with 45 sec. rest in between
10x10 broad jumps
10 vertical jumps

Wednesday-5 min. jumping jack warm up
5x5 close grip bench
5x5 squat
5x5 curl
ab circuit

Thursday- Monday’s workout

Friday- Tuesdays’ workout

Saturday- 5 min. jumping jack warmup
5x5 shoulder press
5x5 deadlift
5x5 rows
ab circuit
Sunday- rest

**Strength coach said that he doesn’t want us to do ANY extra lifting unless it’s on the days that we are already scheduled to lift (wed. & Sat.)

Thanks for the advice

Forgot to Throw in Power cleans (5x5) on Saturdays…

personally i would performe the jumps before the speed work and the tempo runs.just my opinion.

the volume of jumps looks high too

Any offseason program that has you lifting two days a week is stupid. As long as you come into the fall in shape for the running drills and have a good squat and bench (or whatever lifts are tested), you can do whatever you want as far as lifting goes.

You coach is not going to be mad that you came in with more size than the rest of the team, he’ll probably take credit for your progress-let him.

yeah, the broad jumps are pre-running and the verts are post running…

Where do you play?

I think the volume of lifting is waaay too low. My personal preference this time of year ( I’m a JUCO football player as well) is a 3 day split, although I’m not experimenting with another day on the weekend of strongman training. MWF I lift and T- TH I treat as linear/lateral speed days, it’s worked well in the past for me.

[quote]martyh wrote:
I think the volume of lifting is waaay too low. My personal preference this time of year ( I’m a JUCO football player as well) is a 3 day split, although I’m not experimenting with another day on the weekend of strongman training. MWF I lift and T- TH I treat as linear/lateral speed days, it’s worked well in the past for me.[/quote]

When I played ball we lifted MTThF and ran MTWTh. A lot of us would also go in and lift extra. Our volume was also a lot higher. Now that its almost summer you should be concentrating on putting on lean mass. What kind of offense do ya’ll run?

I’d look into Cressey and Robertson’s Building the Efficient Athlete here at the T-Nation shop and also Joe DeFranco’s Super Stregth DVD available on his website.

If you are going to stick to the program, even those it’s very old school in terms of not having alot of exercise selection, read CT’s Article from yesterday. You’ll get out what you put into it. Good luck.

I play at a D-1AA school…I have Defranco’s Super Strength DVD and I love it…I’m just going to focus on my speed, lifting heavy, probly gonna break the rules a little and lift three days a week, with one of those days being strongman/power lift concentration, and eat lots of lean proteins and complex carbs, not to mention about a gallon of water a day, any supplement advice??

Surge/creatine/bcaa before after training

whats the point of curls?

Curls do more than what many people realize for football players…imagine getting your hands inside and driving forward…sometimes you rely on bicep/forearm strength to get a more forceful surge and hand punch

[quote]tveddy wrote:
martyh wrote:
I think the volume of lifting is waaay too low. My personal preference this time of year ( I’m a JUCO football player as well) is a 3 day split, although I’m not experimenting with another day on the weekend of strongman training. MWF I lift and T- TH I treat as linear/lateral speed days, it’s worked well in the past for me.

When I played ball we lifted MTThF and ran MTWTh. A lot of us would also go in and lift extra. Our volume was also a lot higher. Now that its almost summer you should be concentrating on putting on lean mass. What kind of offense do ya’ll run?[/quote]

Don’t really know the offense they run, this is my first season with the team, I was at a d2 last year. I play DE, and we run a 4-3.

[quote]Rmoss0 wrote:
Curls do more than what many people realize for football players…imagine getting your hands inside and driving forward…sometimes you rely on bicep/forearm strength to get a more forceful surge and hand punch[/quote]

I do curls for aesthetic purposes, but that point makes sense. Lots of grip and heavy bag training has helped my punch quite a bit lately as well.

we run the run and shoot, we’re a very pass happy team…but we run a lot of counters and counter traps, which makes it really fun when you’re an olineman, cuz then you catch that d end when you’re pullin that doesn’t know what the hell’s goin on and u just light his ass up

[quote]Rmoss0 wrote:
we run the run and shoot, we’re a very pass happy team…but we run a lot of counters and counter traps, which makes it really fun when you’re an olineman, cuz then you catch that d end when you’re pullin that doesn’t know what the hell’s goin on and u just light his ass up[/quote]

More passing means you can put on more mass and not have to worry about the speed trade off. As long as your quick for 5 yards to pull and pick up backers you shouldn’t worry too much about speed, just acceleration. You’re lucky that you can afford to put on a lot of mass in your offense. We ran the option and I couldn’t put on too much weight.

[quote]martyh wrote:

Don’t really know the offense they run, this is my first season with the team, I was at a d2 last year. I play DE, and we run a 4-3.
[/quote]

Sorry, the Offense Q was meant for OP, but in a 4-3 you will need to have the speed to contain a play. That should be your #1 priority. It always sucks trying to reach or pass pro a fast de.

[quote]martyh wrote:

Sorry, the Offense Q was meant for OP, but in a 4-3 you will need to have the speed to contain a play. That should be your #1 priority. It always sucks trying to reach or pass pro a fast de. [/quote]

LOL yea I noticed that right after my post. Speed is my best asset, which is why I try to make strength my #1 priority. Strength-speed and Speed-strength have always been there for me due to my genetics, but gaining weight has always been my achilles heel. When did you play ball?

With all the drills and plays you will run, the jumps are worthless. Jumps are plyometric in nature and only offer benefit when you are rested. Since you will never be fully rested there is no point. Your legs will need any rest they can get because pushing large men around is enough.

Also, the gassers are worthless because as a lineman you are running no more than 15 yrds per play. Cleans, snatches, deads for maximal strength, along with the major lifts (bench, pullups, etc) are what you need.

Work on your technique, hand speed, and foot speed. Your first step is EVERYTHING, so make it deadly with speed and strength.