College Football is My Goal

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Contact Coach Davies and work with him to get yourself prepared for playing college ball.[/quote]

how do you get in touch with coach davies?

Basically what you need to have is one hell of a year

[quote]R.BushUSC5 wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
Contact Coach Davies and work with him to get yourself prepared for playing college ball.

[/quote]

PM’d you.

Check out www.renegadetraining.com for some info on the football program and other goodies.

[quote]waltthewizard wrote:
I’m going to be truthful here. Unless you are a punter or a lineman, you aren’t going to play D1 football with the quickness (lack of) that your stats tell. You probably aren’t going to play D2 either…I can’t think of any position that you would be able to play running at that speed.[/quote]

You were clearly never the part of a college football team. I played both at the Junior college and D-1 level. I also had quite a few friends who played at the D-1 level and my best friend who happened to run a 5.2 as a tight end just got drafted by the packers in the 5th round. I also played with a kid who was 5’9" 215lb and ran a 5.0 40 as a RECEIVER and guess what??? He was an all american! Football is a game of skill, not numbers. Especially when it comes to getting looked at by colleges. College coaches recruit talent, not numbers.

[quote]Boondoggler wrote:
waltthewizard wrote:
I’m going to be truthful here. Unless you are a punter or a lineman, you aren’t going to play D1 football with the quickness (lack of) that your stats tell. You probably aren’t going to play D2 either…I can’t think of any position that you would be able to play running at that speed.

You were clearly never the part of a college football team. I played both at the Junior college and D-1 level. I also had quite a few friends who played at the D-1 level and my best friend who happened to run a 5.2 as a tight end just got drafted by the packers in the 5th round. I also played with a kid who was 5’9" 215lb and ran a 5.0 40 as a RECEIVER and guess what??? He was an all american! Football is a game of skill, not numbers. Especially when it comes to getting looked at by colleges. College coaches recruit talent, not numbers.
[/quote]

I agree…it’s more about skill, a feel for the game, and hardwork. Besides, how the hell can you predict his fooball carrer based upon his sprinting speed? That’s worse than reading a book by it’s cover, and then critiquing it based upon those observations.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
R.BushUSC5 wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
Contact Coach Davies and work with him to get yourself prepared for playing college ball.

PM’d you.

Check out www.renegadetraining.com for some info on the football program and other goodies.
[/quote]

Can you PM me what you told him?

I;d also like to know how to get in touch with him

waltthewizard wrote:
I’m going to be truthful here. Unless you are a punter or a lineman, you aren’t going to play D1 football with the quickness (lack of) that your stats tell. You probably aren’t going to play D2 either…I can’t think of any position that you would be able to play running at that speed.

[/quote]

I agree with everything except fot the last sentence. College coaches recruit numbers, not talent. How many amazing 5-10 guys have to walk on? How many crap linemen who are 6-6 330 out of high school get full rides? College coaches want the body, and think that they can teach the technique.

Haven’t read the whole thread, so this might have been said already, but- can you play football? Do you have a clue? Can you catch a f*cken ball? Are you man enough to tackle someone?

Your stats aren’t bad at all. But I’ve seen tons of guys who were tigers in the gym, and pussies on the sports field.

[/quote]

Clearly, you played in the 1960s.

My point is, you aren’t playing D1 or even D2 football if you are that slow. You need to be able to run. I don’t care how much heart or tenacity one has, if they can’t get to the ball to hit someone, they will be wiffing at air.

Just for everyone’s info, the Packers don’t have any tight ends on their roster that were drafted this past year, so the poster’s “best friend” must have lied to him. There is a rookie TE who was a free agent, but I am sure someone’s “best friend” wouldn’t get this detail wrong.

[/quote] I agree with everything except fot the last sentence. College coaches recruit numbers, not talent. How many amazing 5-10 guys have to walk on? How many crap linemen who are 6-6 330 out of high school get full rides? College coaches want the body, and think that they can teach the technique.[/quote]

This is true in all sports. There is an arrogance that I can turn an someone into a a great player. A coach will always take the more athletic player even if he is slightly worse on field. I have heared of situations where the a college football player has never played high school or only played one year but came out and crushed everyone at the combines.

[/quote]

I’m calling BULLSHIT on the this reply. Those guys might have had those stats as untrained 15-year olds, but no TE is going to get drafted after running a 5.0 and no WR is going to sniff All-American honors (even in DIII) running a 5.0 forty. Plus, being 5’9 215 is WAAAAAY to big to be an effective WR. That’s OLB/SS size right there.

Football is about having football skills- regardless of what your weight room numbers are. But your still going to suck at football if you have the skills but lack speed. Speed is king in football. Trust me, I have a year of D1 behind me.

I agree thaqt playing football will help your game tremendously. To really focus on reaction and speed, playing in flag league may not be a bad idea. I did this while training, and although I hate all the pussies who talk shit because they’re not getting tackled, it helped me get back into the game and then eventually move on to the semi-pro level after a year layoff. By the way, you can always tackle someone once in a while.

What also worked for me was sprinting. Sounds simple, but eliminating “running miles at a time” and focusing on running sprints, mostly 50’s but anything under 100 yards, helped me out in ways that words can’t explain. Agility drills and obstacle courses will also help.

I think your numbers are fine assumiong you can play ball. Don’t worry about the 40 time that is not bad for your size and at your stage of development.

Nick Mangold starting center for the Bucks and drafted by the Jets had a 40 of 5.05 He outweighs you a bit but also has several years of top level training under his belt.

Not everyone in college runs a 4.4 and weighs 300 lbs and benchs 500 at least not going in. You were asking about college not pros whole other level there ridiculous in my opinion to compare you to top level guys when you are only 17. Don’t listen to the naysayers you can play at any level. Football is about heart and instincts more than numbers. So work on your positional technique and kepp working hard in the gym as well

Good luck

More examples of 40 times that are not spectacular:

A.J Nicholson LB Floida St. 6’2" 235 closer to your size ran a 4.87 at combines. Again that is after going through FSU’s program. You could drop your 40 time by technique alone.

D’ Quell Jackson 4.78
Chad Greenway 4.74 and 16 reps on the bench test.

These are top tier D-1 all americans all drafted so to say with your numbers at 17 you can’t play at any level assumiong you have instincts, heart and an ability to paly the game is just plane stupid and it keeps kids like yourself from even trying to make it big thinking everyone at that level is some sort of freak.

Hope this helps

Two websites that should quickly become your best friends…

[quote]jeep7588 wrote:
I think your numbers are fine assumiong you can play ball. Don’t worry about the 40 time that is not bad for your size and at your stage of development.

Nick Mangold starting center for the Bucks and drafted by the Jets had a 40 of 5.05 He outweighs you a bit but also has several years of top level training under his belt.

Not everyone in college runs a 4.4 and weighs 300 lbs and benchs 500 at least not going in. You were asking about college not pros whole other level there ridiculous in my opinion to compare you to top level guys when you are only 17. Don’t listen to the naysayers you can play at any level. Football is about heart and instincts more than numbers. So work on your positional technique and kepp working hard in the gym as well

Good luck[/quote]

I second that - big time

because most coaches have a terrible attitude of recruiting.

[quote]jeep7588 wrote:
More examples of 40 times that are not spectacular:

A.J Nicholson LB Floida St. 6’2" 235 closer to your size ran a 4.87 at combines. Again that is after going through FSU’s program. You could drop your 40 time by technique alone.

D’ Quell Jackson 4.78
Chad Greenway 4.74 and 16 reps on the bench test.

These are top tier D-1 all americans all drafted so to say with your numbers at 17 you can’t play at any level assumiong you have instincts, heart and an ability to paly the game is just plane stupid and it keeps kids like yourself from even trying to make it big thinking everyone at that level is some sort of freak.

Hope this helps[/quote]

another good one - perfect thanks for the comment

everything else i call bullshit

If you’re serious about improving your physical performance in the weight room (and then on the field), you need to get Eric’s manual:

I’ve read it multiple times already and I’m still learning from it.

Stay strong
MR

I’m trying to walk-on when I go to school in the fall. Although I know I’m on the short side 5’7" 180-185lbs
we’ll see what happens. But a website I used was
http://www.nike.com/nikegridiron/
I used the weight training program and I saw nice gains from it.