College Food

I recomend getting a cheap rice/vegetable steamer as well. My husband and i have one…you can just put in a little rice with the water in the bottom. Throw a chicken breast and some fresh or frozen veggies on the top little rack thing…walk away and dinner will be done in like 30 minutes. Its gotta be about the easiest thing to make. Buying different kinds of seasonings helps too, that way you can mix up the tastes a little. There are a lot of different flavors of Mrs. Dash, and they are all salt free.
Good luck!

Split,
If you want some basic recipes, I’m a chicken fiend. Step one is to acquire a Foreman Grill. Step two, buy a lot of chicken thighs if you’ve the space to store them. A lot of people will eat breasts, but I find that the fat content in the thighs makes the meat a lot more flavorful, and it also gets some dietary fat in me, which I’m bad about. The fat craze of the 90’s and carb craze of the 00’s have sunk in, so I’m not very good at getting enough dietary fat and carbohydrates.

For the real stuff:

1. Season-all and garlic. Sprinkle them on chicken to taste, and then grill it up. You’ve got a great tasting piece of chicken with no added calories.
  2. Stir-fry sauce. This stuff is about 100 calories a tbsp, but that’s really all you need. Throw some olive oil in a pan (not cooking oil), get it going, and sautee it until brown. Then throw the stir-fry sauce on there, cook it another few minutes, and you’ve got something delicious. I like the diced chicken on a bed of white rice and black beans.
  3. Mahi-mahi, sauteed in olive oil. Then get a decent healthy dressing (I like a low-fat fruit vinagrette), and put on there once the fish is about ready. Mahi is a very thin fish, so the meat cooks very quickly, but it comes out wonderfully. I usually boil off the extra liquid in the dressing in the pan so you get a nice glaze on the fish.
  4. For when you’ve got some money, buy a nice lean steak and grill it up with Durkee Montreal Steak Seasoning. I use the Foreman a lot because I’m too lazy to fire up the charcoal, but it comes out a bit better with a regular grill, cause it’s easier to monitor (I like my steaks bleeding).

If you want anything else, let me know. Also, if you’re confused about sauteeing, basically, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Once the pan is good and hot, drop your defrosted meat in the pan, and flip it all around a bit. It’s easiest to use a spatula, but with some practice, you’ll be pan-flipping the food in no time. (NOTE: Don’t pan-flip with a shirt off. Boiling oil hurts.)

Split,
If you want some basic recipes, I’m a chicken fiend. Step one is to acquire a Foreman Grill. Step two, buy a lot of chicken thighs if you’ve the space to store them. A lot of people will eat breasts, but I find that the fat content in the thighs makes the meat a lot more flavorful, and it also gets some dietary fat in me, which I’m bad about. The fat craze of the 90’s and carb craze of the 00’s have sunk in, so I’m not very good at getting enough dietary fat and carbohydrates.

For the real stuff:

1. Season-all and garlic. Sprinkle them on chicken to taste, and then grill it up. You’ve got a great tasting piece of chicken with no added calories.
  2. Stir-fry sauce. This stuff is about 100 calories a tbsp, but that’s really all you need. Throw some olive oil in a pan (not cooking oil), get it going, and sautee it until brown. Then throw the stir-fry sauce on there, cook it another few minutes, and you’ve got something delicious. I like the diced chicken on a bed of white rice and black beans.
  3. Mahi-mahi, sauteed in olive oil. Then get a decent healthy dressing (I like a low-fat fruit vinagrette), and put on there once the fish is about ready. Mahi is a very thin fish, so the meat cooks very quickly, but it comes out wonderfully. I usually boil off the extra liquid in the dressing in the pan so you get a nice glaze on the fish.
  4. For when you’ve got some money, buy a nice lean steak and grill it up with Durkee Montreal Steak Seasoning. I use the Foreman a lot because I’m too lazy to fire up the charcoal, but it comes out a bit better with a regular grill, cause it’s easier to monitor (I like my steaks bleeding).

If you want anything else, let me know. Also, if you’re confused about sauteeing, basically, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Once the pan is good and hot, drop your defrosted meat in the pan, and flip it all around a bit. It’s easiest to use a spatula, but with some practice, you’ll be pan-flipping the food in no time. (NOTE: Don’t pan-flip with a shirt off. Boiling oil hurts.)

[quote]Buoycall wrote:
Split,

For the real stuff:

If you want anything else, let me know. Also, if you’re confused about sauteeing, basically, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Once the pan is good and hot, drop your defrosted meat in the pan, and flip it all around a bit. It’s easiest to use a spatula, but with some practice, you’ll be pan-flipping the food in no time. (NOTE: Don’t pan-flip with a shirt off. Boiling oil hurts.)[/quote]

FYI, mahi isn’t always thin. It’s common to catch some male mahi off the OBX that weigh 40-50 lbs. Great tasting fish. Another good one is talapia. The flesh is dense and white, almost like the texture of a really tender piece of chicken breast. It cooks really nice and has a great taste to it. Awesome for fish tacos.

wow thanks man helps alot, now i am considering getting a steamer, what do they run for? how much (CAD)?