College FB Players & Muscle Mass

I don’t know how it was for a lot of the older members here, but is it just me, or are there a buttload of big/strong/muscular college football players? It’s weird because it seems like the typical college football player (I’m talking division II and I) are a lot bigger and stronger on average than a lot of peers their age who identify themslves as powerlifters or bodybuilders…any thoughts?

I want to know how these guys train as well… the secrets… all of them.

[quote]hugedude1990 wrote:
I don’t know how it was for a lot of the older members here, but is it just me, or are there a buttload of big/strong/muscular college football players? It’s weird because it seems like the typical college football player (I’m talking division II and I) are a lot bigger and stronger on average than a lot of peers their age who identify themslves as powerlifters or bodybuilders…any thoughts?[/quote]

your compairing apples and oranges. your talking D1 AND D2 so comapir them to ppl who compete in bodybuilding at a higher level at the same age. dont compair them to the “i work out hardcoreXXX and do full body fridays, freshman fucks”
i guarentee that there are bigger competitive bodybuilder then football players.

Guys who are genetically gifted and peak early are much more likely to get into a popular sport.

If your 6’2 230 when you 16, your going to dominate the football field.

Alot of guys who get into bodybuilding were skinny when they were younger. Thats why they got into it in the first place

Alot of bodybuilders are also the “late bloomers”

They were kinda thin until like 18-19 then they gained like 25 pounds.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Guys who are genetically gifted and peak early are much more likely to get into a popular sport.

Alot of guys who get into bodybuilding were skinny when they were younger. Thats why they got into it in the first place

They were kinda thin until like 18-19 then they gained like 25 pounds.[/quote]

x2, i was very skinny till i was about 17, very late bloomer also. thats one of the reason i never played football, becuase by the time i was big enough to play, it was my junior year and still had no idea of the dynamics of football.

[quote]hugedude1990 wrote:
I don’t know how it was for a lot of the older members here, but is it just me, or are there a buttload of big/strong/muscular college football players? It’s weird because it seems like the typical college football player (I’m talking division II and I) are a lot bigger and stronger on average than a lot of peers their age who identify themslves as powerlifters or bodybuilders…any thoughts?[/quote]

Most of the people who identify themselves as “bodybuilders and powerlifters” today are weak watered down versions of people really into it even 15 years ago.

The majority of the people logging into the bodybuilding forum on this site seem to think anything over maybe 190-200lbs requires drug use. they nearly all think they are “hardgainers” and they are screaming about only working out three days a week. Even when they get told by people who outweigh them by 100lbs that they need to be in the gym 4-5 days a week at least, we get pages upon pages of discourse from skinny dudes telling us that 3 days a week of full body training is enough…which is why they aren’t huge yet.

I don’t follow powerlifting closely anymore, but I rarely see the really big guys on this forum. I know there are a few here, but the majority don’t seem to be falling into heavy weight classes.

The football scene is no different than it has always been. The bigger guys either gained most of their size in order to play more effectively or they were chosen because they had more size in the first place.

If half of the people here followed that work ethic (have you ever seen a football team only train 3 days a week?) we would see larger lifters in bodybuilding and powerlifting. Instead, all we see is a lot of talk about theory even though very few are proving all of that theory anywhere near correct.

The bottom line is, if you want to be big, do what the big guys did. Quit following people who never gained much size to begin with and who seem to despise the people who actually try to stand out in a crowd.

[quote]Westclock wrote:

They were kinda thin until like 18-19 then they gained like 25 pounds.[/quote]

This makes a lot of sense. But I don’t think it’s as easy as dismissing it as genetics. I find that these guys fall in line with what prof was mentioning. They’re not in the gym 3 days a week (offseason is what i’m referring to.)Also there is no “cut” or “bulk”. There is no clean or dirty bulk, there is just eating enough to get bigger and stronger, and many of them have amounts of muscle mass the majority of people on this site would be envy of.

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
hugedude1990 wrote:
I don’t know how it was for a lot of the older members here, but is it just me, or are there a buttload of big/strong/muscular college football players? It’s weird because it seems like the typical college football player (I’m talking division II and I) are a lot bigger and stronger on average than a lot of peers their age who identify themslves as powerlifters or bodybuilders…any thoughts?

your compairing apples and oranges. your talking D1 AND D2 so comapir them to ppl who compete in bodybuilding at a higher level at the same age. dont compair them to the “i work out hardcoreXXX and do full body fridays, freshman fucks”
i guarentee that there are bigger competitive bodybuilder then football players.[/quote]

No shit i’m comparing apples and oranges. That’s the point. I’m not ifbb or superb amateaur bodybuilders to college football playersif that is what you think. But I swear I’ve seen a lot of fuckers that would have made some decent amateurs piss their pants. I was also making a point that its like these guys never worry or complicate things, there is no “cutting” or “bulking” or “clean bulking”. It’s like some of them even binge drink on weekends, eat bad food, etc…but their training intensity takes care of everything.

I think it is funny that guys on this site hit the juice before even touching 200lbs.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
hugedude1990 wrote:

Most of the people who identify themselves as “bodybuilders and powerlifters” today are weak watered down versions of people really into it even 15 years ago.

The majority of the people logging into the bodybuilding forum on this site seem to think anything over maybe 190-200lbs requires drug use. they nearly all think they are “hardgainers” and they are screaming about only working out three days a week. Even when they get told by people who outweigh them by 100lbs that they need to be in the gym 4-5 days a week at least, we get pages upon pages of discourse from skinny dudes telling us that 3 days a week of full body training is enough…which is why they aren’t huge yet.

I don’t follow powerlifting closely anymore, but I rarely see the really big guys on this forum. I know there are a few here, but the majority don’t seem to be falling into heavy weight classes.

The football scene is no different than it has always been. The bigger guys either gained most of their size in order to play more effectively or they were chosen because they had more size in the first place.

If half of the people here followed that work ethic (have you ever seen a football team only train 3 days a week?) we would see larger lifters in bodybuilding and powerlifting. Instead, all we see is a lot of talk about theory even though very few are proving all of that theory anywhere near correct.

The bottom line is, if you want to be big, do what the big guys did. Quit following people who never gained much size to begin with and who seem to despise the people who actually try to stand out in a crowd.[/quote]

x2

There I was, trying to type up some cool response… And then I saw yours and thought “Uh-oh, some big-guy-telepathy going on here.”

Well, on a side note from what Prof. X said, I’d say it’s a large combination of being encouraged to eat and good training regimens. The same great players come from the same high schools year in and year out for a reason, they know how to breed football players.

I’m sure that once a lot of kids who have talent to play in one of the bigger leagues get to high school, they’re encouraged to eat a shit load in the offseason to put on weight, and a shit load more in the season to try and retain it. I understand football players generally stick to compound oly lifts, such as cleans, snatches, jerks, etc. for more explosiveness that translates to football, but a lot of players love lifting so much a lot of them will train like bodybuilders… (Michael Pittman, Thomas Jones.) Just a thought.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Well, on a side note from what Prof. X said, I’d say it’s a large combination of being encouraged to eat and good training regimens. The same great players come from the same high schools year in and year out for a reason, they know how to breed football players.

I’m sure that once a lot of kids who have talent to play in one of the bigger leagues get to high school, they’re encouraged to eat a shit load in the offseason to put on weight, and a shit load more in the season to try and retain it. I understand football players generally stick to compound oly lifts, such as cleans, snatches, jerks, etc. for more explosiveness that translates to football, but a lot of players love lifting so much a lot of them will train like bodybuilders… (Michael Pittman, Thomas Jones.) Just a thought.[/quote]

The real question is, why do people think this does NOT work for bodybuilding? I gained quickly as a beginner because I trained just like the other football players. I ate A LOT just like them and trained my ass off just like them. I gained weight so fast in those first two years people back home didn’t recognize me.

Now, you have idiots wasting the best years of their life to gain because they are more concerned with making sure they don’t go above 10% body fat.

We have seen that this mentality does NOT work if the goal is to be bigger and stronger than most. So why are people still so caught up in it?

Just to add a little to what Prof and SSC said:

These guys are:

1. Hormonally speaking, are at the peak of there natural mass building and

2. They couple eating big with weight lifting and simply playing Football (sprints, full-out runs, plyometrics…the list goes on and on).

Everything these guys do supports putting on mass, at a time when they bodies are primed to do so.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Everything these guys do supports putting on mass, at a time when they bodies are primed to do so.

Mufasa[/quote]

…and that time is fleeting. You don’t get it back. If your body fat is your primary concern, give up expecting your body to grow muscle optimally. Those two mindsets are opposing each other.

[quote]Alquemist wrote:
I want to know how these guys train as well… the secrets… all of them. [/quote]

they train with weights.

SSC wrote:

I’m sure that once a lot of kids who have talent to play in one of the bigger leagues get to high school, they’re encouraged to eat a shit load in the offseason to put on weight, and a shit load more in the season to try and retain it. I understand football players generally stick to compound oly lifts, such as cleans, snatches, jerks, etc. for more explosiveness that translates to football, but a lot of players love lifting so much a lot of them will train like bodybuilders… (Michael Pittman, Thomas Jones.) Just a thought.

The real question is, why do people think this does NOT work for bodybuilding? I gained quickly as a beginner because I trained just like the other football players. I ate A LOT just like them and trained my ass off just like them. I gained weight so fast in those first two years people back home didn’t recognize me.

Now, you have idiots wasting the best years of their life to gain because they are more concerned with making sure they don’t go above 10% body fat.

We have seen that this mentality does NOT work if the goal is to be bigger and stronger than most. So why are people still so caught up in it?[/quote]

Becaus ethe people are stupid. They see fullbody workout by some author and they say “this is great”. I will become a bodybuilder with this. But they won’t. But they will never learn either,

I am sick and tired of hearing how you must NOT train like a bodybuilder to look one.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Just to add a little to what Prof and SSC said:

These guys are:

1. Hormonally speaking, are at the peak of there natural mass building and

2. They couple eating big with weight lifting and simply playing Football (sprints, full-out runs, plyometrics…the list goes on and on).

Mufasa[/quote]

I read this know and thsi is it. I am going to do this. I giving in. To the bodybuilding extremely.

But the question remains… when to work on sprints, with tiring the CNS? I tried and tried, during school, to do the sprints… maybe I am not eating enough? I want to look like a huge football player… so them weaklings will be scared. SO the very teachers at my school will cower at asking me for my homework.

Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa

…and that time is fleeting. You don’t get it back. If your body fat is your primary concern, give up expecting your body to grow muscle optimally. Those two mindsets are opposing each other.[/quote]

I think, the sprints are great for bulking, because they keep the bodyfat away… for me, I think I really need them, because obesety is something I struggle with.

Why is it surprising that elite athletes, many who will go on to the NFL, are bigger and stronger than AMATEUR bodybuilders? Plenty of self-proclaimed (deluded)‘bodybuilders’ have no business being on stage.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Why is it surprising that elite athletes, many who will go on to the NFL, are bigger and stronger than AMATEUR bodybuilders? Plenty of self-proclaimed (deluded)‘bodybuilders’ have no business being on stage.[/quote]

Good post.

That includes the ones “doing it for the experience” that we have had on this site who carry less muscle than some rank newbies.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Why is it surprising that elite athletes, many who will go on to the NFL, are bigger and stronger than AMATEUR bodybuilders? Plenty of self-proclaimed (deluded)‘bodybuilders’ have no business being on stage.[/quote]

I think you just offended the slew of morons here who want to step on stage at 5’10 and 170lbs…