College Courses

I’m a high school senior… I know they posted recommendations on this site but I cant find them… What are recommended classes/ majors for jobs in the field of personal training? Not my only desire… would be a second major… My primary is computer programming, etc…

Go to the FAQ section, there are two articles conscerning this topic. You will want to find a college with a good program in: Exercise physiology, Kinesiology, Exercise science, etc. Unless your otherwise restricted, choose a school with one of these programs, or comparable programs. If you can’t go to a school with a said program, then go into P.E., Coaching, sports management, etc. Be forewarned however, that while you will learn some things in the class room, you will not learn everything. Ok, you won’t learn a hell of a lot (at least if your education is like mine)! In the strength coaching/personal training field, to be good you have to be self taught (generally speaking). That means reading and researching, and reading research. I’m about to start my M.S. in exercise phys. next semester and frankly I’m just going through the motions so that I can have letters after my name. Maybe I’ll learn something in grad school, but 99% of what I’ve learned has been outside of class. The best thing about college is that you have free web access, a big library, and interlibrary loan. Use them to your advantage, start training some friends, get big so people will think you know what your talking about (seriously, a lot of people will judge you by that criteria, even though it’s BS criteria). See if you can intern for your school S&C coach, work at campus (or off campus) fitness facillity (scenary in college cannot be compared to your high school), etc. Read, read, read, read…