College and the Bodybuilding Lifestyle

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
People (girls) aren’t going to be impressed by you explaining to them why you don’t drink, they’ll just think you’re no fun (best case scenario) or a douchebag. Sometimes I’ll nurse a single beer throughout the night to make it more comfortable approaching girls, as it looks a little awkward without a drink in your hand[/quote]

Hasn’t been my experience honestly, although I’ve been married since I was 21, so I haven’t really had to concern myself that much with it recently. Things may have changed.
[/quote]

Lol your opinion might not quite count then :wink:

IMO if the girls are turning you down because you don’t drink you either have a shitty personality or you are hitting on the club/party girls. IMO more high quality woman won’t care assuming you have other good qualities to offer that don’t need alcohol to manifest [/quote]

It’s not my opinion, just my experience.

1/3 of a bottle of red wine a few times a year makes me happy. I feel great the next morning also. Choose your occasions.

[quote]SSC wrote:
This, again?

If you don’t want to do it, cool. Would I recommend living a “true bodybuilder life” if you’re not likely to make a large amount of money off of it for the foreseeable future? No. College is a magical motherfucking time and should be enjoyed thoroughly.

That being said, as long as you’re confident that in 20-30 years you won’t look bad and say “Fuck, why was I so adamant about chikkin and brokkli every 2.5 hours instead of out making connections, enjoying the social life?” Then you’re cool.

(Note: No, I’m not saying you have to drink to do this. I do think there needs to be moderation at that point in your life.) But, that being said, I can now assert from personal experience that post-grad life is highly regimented and you will make tons of progress afterward.

.02[/quote]

Gunna have to agree on this. College is a magical motherfuckin time and you only really get to experience it once. learn, have fun, train, you can do it all. Worst case scenario, you try and fit the carbs from alcohol into your macros for the day. For example, go carb free on drinking days and at night have vodka and water. drink plenty of water before bed and make sure it doesnt interrupt your studies and training. meh. What’s the worst that could happen?

that being said, if you just don’t like to drink, then don’t drink.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
People (girls) aren’t going to be impressed by you explaining to them why you don’t drink, they’ll just think you’re no fun (best case scenario) or a douchebag. Sometimes I’ll nurse a single beer throughout the night to make it more comfortable approaching girls, as it looks a little awkward without a drink in your hand[/quote]

Hasn’t been my experience honestly, although I’ve been married since I was 21, so I haven’t really had to concern myself that much with it recently. Things may have changed.
[/quote]

Yeah I’ve also never drank, and I feel as long as you’re not a douche who brings up that you don’t drink or that you’re awesome for doing so, girls don’t care. Honestly seems to set me apart from the rest of the ‘crowd’, the fact I don’t need alcohol to have a good time. [/quote]
You guys are still in college where half of you can’t drink anyways, lol. Wait 'till you get out in the “real world”. It’s a record scratching moment where everyone turns and looks at you, the minute you mention the ominous words, “i don’t drink” when asked why you’re not drinking. It’s rather ridiculous actually. No one ever goes into why they don’t drink unless asked.

I have been out of college for 6 years now. Been working ever since. Experiences will vary.

Don’t put lifting in front of your schooling. I never did, but I know kids who have and they paid dearly for it. Do it when you can, but don’t be surprised when your 4 day split takes 8 to complete sometimes. Find easy meals that make a lot of food in one prep, and locate a subway for the “just in case” situations. Also, don’t get caught up in gym gossip. I know that sounds odd, but trust me. Also, clean up the gym before you leave. I always do when I am the last one out. The staff will let you stay after hours in a lot of places if they know you’re good for it which can be valuable when you had a long day and are jammed for time because they close. I cant tell you how many times I have gotten one or two more sets because of that.

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
I agree with previous posters who have said it is all about moderation. The guys that get drunk every Friday and Saturday night will likely not make much progress once they’ve surpassed the beginner stage. But at the same time, when I hear guys say that if bb’ing is a priority to you you shouldn’t drink at all (implying that the person who occasionally drinks isn’t dedicated) are also wrong. If you don’t want to drink during college for personal reasons, more power to you. However, if it’s solely for physique/lifting related reasons, I’ll say this: I hope your progress matches up to your Spartan lifestyle. It reminds me of guys who look down on someone for occasionally enjoying a cheeseburger.

The way I typically approach it is to have one night every two weeks (in the fall it’ll be tailgating before Husker football games) where I cut loose and have a great time, never to the point of being belligerent or making terrible choices. On other weekend nights I still go to parties and DD, nobody gives you any flak for not drinking if you’re driving people home that night. The people that say “Who cares if people give you a hard time for not drinking, pussy” are being silly, imo. People (girls) aren’t going to be impressed by you explaining to them why you don’t drink, they’ll just think you’re no fun (best case scenario) or a douchebag. Sometimes I’ll nurse a single beer throughout the night to make it more comfortable approaching girls, as it looks a little awkward without a drink in your hand[/quote]

I agree with this guy. As a senior in college probably have a beer or 2 on Saturdays just to relax. When someone asks why I’m not drinking I just say I dont feel like it. Mostly everyone I know understands me now (first few weeks were a pain in the ass).

Getting drunk (not shitfaced) 2 times a week will not be detrimental to your progress as long as your strict the rest of the time. Treat them like cheat meals.

This is purely broscience and just from my minimal experience but I do not feel as if the drinking is extremely bad for you, it’s the late nights, awful nutrition, high carb chasers, missed meals from sleeping in that are more detrimental to you than anything. I personally (if I have the money, which is rarely) drink 6-8 beers on Tuesdays and a few more on Saturday. Some of my few PR’s have come the day after a lonnnng night.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
This is purely broscience and just from my minimal experience but I do not feel as if the drinking is extremely bad for you, it’s the late nights, awful nutrition, high carb chasers, missed meals from sleeping in that are more detrimental to you than anything. I personally (if I have the money, which is rarely) drink 6-8 beers on Tuesdays and a few more on Saturday. Some of my few PR’s have come the day after a lonnnng night. [/quote]

^^^
This

OP why don’t you just buy 1-2 pints of a higher quality beer. 1-2 beers once or twice a week will not hurt you and not worrying about missing out on a goo time will probably reduce your cortisol and keep you more anabolic.

Read this

[quote]Mcincinatti wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
This is purely broscience and just from my minimal experience but I do not feel as if the drinking is extremely bad for you, it’s the late nights, awful nutrition, high carb chasers, missed meals from sleeping in that are more detrimental to you than anything. I personally (if I have the money, which is rarely) drink 6-8 beers on Tuesdays and a few more on Saturday. Some of my few PR’s have come the day after a lonnnng night. [/quote]

^^^
This

OP why don’t you just buy 1-2 pints of a higher quality beer. 1-2 beers once or twice a week will not hurt you and not worrying about missing out on a goo time will probably reduce your cortisol and keep you more anabolic.

Read this

He meant to add a “0” after both the 1 and 2 once per week

Just man up. If you want it bad enough, you find away. I work 12 hour days, that doesnt stop me from getting to the gym at least 5 days a week and eating right.