T Nation

Coleman's Off Season Diet

Hey guys, not sure if anyone of you have watched Ronnie Coleman’s cost of redemption video. It’s pretty amazing but leaves me thinking, how the hell does he grow with that diet. According to the video, he eats only 4 times a day and it’s like::

breakfast
grits
2 cups egg whites
cheese

post workout
2 chicken breasts
beans
corn
rice
corn bread

same thing again in the evening

Supper
steak
fries ( Off season fries)
baked potato

Unless of course he’s gulping down jugs of Grow! shakes that they don’t show on camera, I just dont see how he manages to put on so much mass. What you think guys ?

[quote]KelvinL wrote:
Hey guys, not sure if anyone of you have watched Ronnie Coleman’s cost of redemption video. It’s pretty amazing but leaves me thinking, how the hell does he grow with that diet. According to the video, he eats only 4 times a day and it’s like::

breakfast
grits
2 cups egg whites
cheese

post workout
2 chicken breasts
beans
corn
rice
corn bread

same thing again in the evening

Supper
steak
fries ( Off season fries)
baked potato

Unless of course he’s gulping down jugs of Grow! shakes that they don’t show on camera, I just dont see how he manages to put on so much mass. What you think guys ?
[/quote]

Sounds like a whole lot of BS.

Just look at his size, mass and all the LBM he is carrying around at all times.

He might be on juice upto the nose, but he’s also must be eating like a lion.

Just read the Pound O Week Diet on this site by Peter Loux. Now that’s what this guy must probably be consuming daily (in the off-season) to maintain such kinda body mass IMHO.

They clearly don’t show every meal. I eat more than that and I’m not carrying damn near 280+lbs of lean body mass.

Quoting from an article discussing Ronnie Coleman’s eating habits:

“…Last Saturday I was lucky enough to see Ronnie Coleman in Sacramento, CA. Ronnie competes close to 260 lbs at a height of about 5’10”. When I saw him, he was weighing in at about 305lb still appearing to be fairly lean, just weeks after his wins at some major European shows. The whole time I was at this event, Ronnie was eating. Burgers, fries, you name it, he ate it. In a few months, he should well over 320, eating everything in site in his attempt to add more muscle. This is 60+ lb over his competition bodyweight. It’s also what is necessary to continue to grow."

The article goes on to discuss how many top level bodybuilders are eating in the area of 7500 calories per day to maintain their weight.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Quoting from an article discussing Ronnie Coleman’s eating habits:

“…Last Saturday I was lucky enough to see Ronnie Coleman in Sacramento, CA. Ronnie competes close to 260 lbs at a height of about 5’10”. When I saw him, he was weighing in at about 305lb still appearing to be fairly lean, just weeks after his wins at some major European shows. The whole time I was at this event, Ronnie was eating. Burgers, fries, you name it, he ate it. In a few months, he should well over 320, eating everything in site in his attempt to add more muscle. This is 60+ lb over his competition bodyweight. It’s also what is necessary to continue to grow."

The article goes on to discuss how many top level bodybuilders are eating in the area of 7500 calories per day to maintain their weight.
[/quote]

What is sad is the belief as if all they eat is chicken breasts and tuna when most people over 250lbs should know it is hard as hell to maintain and add body weight above that eating that clean. Even Dexter Jackson and Johnnie Jackson admit to hitting up Mc Donald’s twice a week or more.

Tru…micky d’s is a must every now
and then…dollar double cheese’s
keep me sane when my diet is strict.

Yeah, exactly. 7500 calories is an insane amount of food if you try to keep it clean. If you eat six times a day, you have to get in about 1250 calories each time. A Big Mac is what, 560 calories? You get two of those down and you’re still not at 1250 for that meal. Thank God for french fries! 1250 calories using tuna, rice and chicken breasts six times a day is definitely not reasonable. You’d probably get heavier just from the mercury from the tuna. :slight_smile:

Of course, 7500 calories is for pro-BBs who are also using vast amounts of steroids and other illegal drugs that make it a lot easier to pack lean mass and not too much fat as long as you train hard and often. I’m skeptical as to whether it would be possible for a “natural” trainee to sustain such a diet for any length of time.

Still, the basic truth is there. If you want to pack on large masses of muscle, you have to eat, eat and eat some more.

A friend of mine roomed with a pro-bber for a while. This guy was around 280lbs or more.
My friend said that he almost never saw him eat clean- he was always scarfing back KFC, chocolate milk and the like.
Total calories were far more important to him than the quality of the food he ate.

I too thought that was not a lot of food when I watched the video.

Then I saw an article somewhere describing the food he eats…It was more quantity than the video showed but the same foods…

I ball parked the calories…so I am sure I am off…but here it goes from my best recollection…

2 cups egg whites 150
3/4 Grits 300
1 slice cheese 100

post workout shake 300

2 chicken breasts 400
rice 200
beans 200
corn 200
corn bread 200

2 chicken breasts 400
rice 200
beans 200
corn 200
corn bread 200

steak 800
Chicken breast 200
backed potate 300
french fries 300

protein shake 300

total est      5150

It was hard to eat completely clean on 4500 calories for me. I can’t even imagine 7500 clean calories. I think it’s a little overrated. Obviously, you want to eat as much clean food as possible to fortify your body and give it the nutrients it needs to grow. As well as minimize fat gain. But there’s just gotta be (and clearly is) a point where it’s counterproductive and you need a damn ice cream cone or cheesburger.

You obviously didnt listen when he was eating that chicken/beans/corn bread/corn meal…he said he was waiting for his second plate of the same thing…

That means you double the chicken/corn/bean meal.

And that breakfast is just sick, the bowl itself is as big as his head.

Just think about how much food he ate to get from 260+ to 289 for the 2003 olympia… and then 295 at 2004.

I don’t understand how he’s still alive…

Ronnie is a professional bodybuilder making a video for the public. Last thing they need is to actually give an example of what Ronnie eats, if they do here comes the lawsuit. I can see it now, “Kid eats Burgers and fries for a month and gains 30lbs and is in serious risk of a heart attack. Said he did it because that’s what Ronnie eat.”

Come on guys, this kind of crap of common sense.

I’ve been wondering if there is some truth behind this sentence “the more muscle mass you have on your body, the less ‘clean’ you need to eat while still keeping your bodyfat in check”.

I went in to another gym about a month ago and it was a squat day. Well there was this very large individual squatting at the only rack they had available. He invited me to join him and I proceeded to have a very enjoyable conversation and picked up a few tips along the way.

He typically works out at another gym where him and his buddies are squatting 800-1000 lbs and bench pressing over 600 lbs; did I mention that this guy was large? He was probably around 6 feet tall and at least 250 to 260 lbs (my guestimates).

The kicker was he lifted up his shirt and displayed a firm abdomen and estimated his bodyfat at 11%. He told me that you can get to a size where you can eat pretty much anything you want and not gain additional bodyfat.

[quote]o0ArticA0o wrote:
Ronnie is a professional bodybuilder making a video for the public. Last thing they need is to actually give an example of what Ronnie eats, if they do here comes the lawsuit. I can see it now, “Kid eats Burgers and fries for a month and gains 30lbs and is in serious risk of a heart attack. Said he did it because that’s what Ronnie eat.”

Come on guys, this kind of crap of common sense.[/quote]

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I swear I would be lost without your insight.