Coleman vs Couture

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

[quote]molnes wrote:
The strength training doesn’t have anything to do with it. It’s perfectly possible to do PL-type strength training while doing a lot of cardio work as well. [/quote]

You totally missed his point.

He was saying PL type training teaches guys to give 100% as in psychologically give 100% in everything you do. You can train cardio forever, if you only know how to give 100% you will burn out when competing at any sport.
[/quote]
You’re right. I missed his point, but I still don’t agree with his point. You don’t have to give 100% all the way in a fight just because you’re doing PL-type strength training, and because you’re a strong SOB. This has to do with tactics, not strength training.

Look at vids of Mark Hughes in his prime for instance. He was said to be the strongest pound for pound fighter in the UFC, but he also had a big gas tank.

matt hughes

The most entertaining part of this fight will be Phil Baroni’s cornerman commentary.

Dana said the winner would be in the mix, this isn’t a fight for number one contender.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
First of all you won’t see a Couture/Jones match. If Dana White has proven one thing it’s that he knows which matches make money. Why would he risk putting Couture against Jones before a Couture title fight?

He wouldn’t, he knows any given day Couture is just not going to be able to perform as he once did, that day may already be here we don’t know. But, we do know if Couture gets by Coleman he can cash in on Coutures popularity one more time by giving him a title shot vs Machida.
[/quote]

Well, I don’t know about that. He put Couture/Coleman as a main event. Do you really think that’s a high drawing main event?

But I see your point. If Couture loses, then maybe we’ll get to see them fight.

[quote]
I think you make a valid point, however don’t underestimate Couture’s ability to cut the ring off and corner the faster Machida. If he can’t do that he gets destroyed, if he is able to do that he will take Machida down and give him the beating of his life. But we are getting ahead of ourselves aren’t we? [/quote]

I honestly think that taking Machida down would still be challenging for Randy. Sure, he might get him down eventually, but Machida has great hips and is very slippery. The more times that Randy had to chase him down to clinch up with him, the less likely his chances of winning IMO.

But yeah, we are kinda getting ahead of ourselves.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
First of all you won’t see a Couture/Jones match. If Dana White has proven one thing it’s that he knows which matches make money. Why would he risk putting Couture against Jones before a Couture title fight?

He wouldn’t, he knows any given day Couture is just not going to be able to perform as he once did, that day may already be here we don’t know. But, we do know if Couture gets by Coleman he can cash in on Coutures popularity one more time by giving him a title shot vs Machida.

Well, I don’t know about that. He put Couture/Coleman as a main event. Do you really think that’s a high drawing main event?[/quote]

You have to think like Dana White (scary). White makes matches where the probable outcome is favorable to him. You follow? What’s the probable outcome of Couture/Coleman? Couture wins right? Why does he want this? He wants this so he can have a Couture vs Machida fight which will be a huge draw.

What other LH fighter gives Couture such an opportunity other than Coleman? Sort of like putting Bisping against Silva at 185. He obviously thinks Bisping can win because he wants all of the English PPV dollars flowing in. Do you think he’d put Bisping in a fight that he thought he’d lose at this point? He already took a huge chance in the Henderson fight didn’t he?

Okay, maybe I’m off, but I don’t think so. The UFC is a huge machine that runs on cash and Dana knows how to fill the tanks.

[quote]
I think you make a valid point, however don’t underestimate Couture’s ability to cut the ring off and corner the faster Machida. If he can’t do that he gets destroyed, if he is able to do that he will take Machida down and give him the beating of his life. But we are getting ahead of ourselves aren’t we?

I honestly think that taking Machida down would still be challenging for Randy. Sure, he might get him down eventually, but Machida has great hips and is very slippery. The more times that Randy had to chase him down to clinch up with him, the less likely his chances of winning IMO.

But yeah, we are kinda getting ahead of ourselves.[/quote]

I don’t disagree with you Machida would be a difficult fight for almost anyone. Keep in mind however that when on the ground with Tito he came with in seconds of getting tapped out from a triangle and was saved by the bell. Also he looked less than impressive vs Shogun. Couture has a chance to beat him, but I agree the odds are against it.

[quote]Valor wrote:
Coleman will gas.[/quote]
at first i thought this was a crappy fight, since neither one is really a legit LHW contender…however, i think a lot of people wanted to see the fight, and i thnik Couture’s conditioning/game plans will beat Colememan’s strenght.

hopefully they’ve been drinking their Ensure…

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]Valor wrote:
at first i thought this was a crappy fight, since neither one is really a legit LHW contender…however, i think a lot of people wanted to see the fight, and i thnik Couture’s conditioning/game plans will beat Colememan’s strenght.

hopefully they’ve been drinking their Ensure…[/quote]

I’m not saying that I mind seeing these two vets fight, but I don’t think it’s main event worthy. And if they did decide to make it the main event, then make that card free. IMO, if there isn’t a belt or at least #1 contendership, then the event should not be PPV, but be shown on Spike.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Valor wrote:

I’m not saying that I mind seeing these two vets fight, but I don’t think it’s main event worthy. And if they did decide to make it the main event, then make that card free. IMO, if there isn’t a belt or at least #1 contendership, then the event should not be PPV, but be shown on Spike.[/quote]

initially, i would agree with you completely. but when i thought about it, most of my favorite events are the TUF finales or UFC Fight Night events, which are all free.

good idea, though…

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Valor wrote:

I’m not saying that I mind seeing these two vets fight, but I don’t think it’s main event worthy. And if they did decide to make it the main event, then make that card free. IMO, if there isn’t a belt or at least #1 contendership, then the event should not be PPV, but be shown on Spike.[/quote]

Agree.

Good card tonight. Couture never ceases to amaze. Great fight.

Wow, how bout Sonnen? I can pretty much guarantee Nate was looking past Sonnen to get to Anderson (or Vitor), and completely overestimated him. Definitely one of the bigger upsets in recent memory.

Paulo Thiago sick d’arce choke. Him and Swick exchanged a couple of good blows. Thiago’s granite chin did him well. He went 2-1 v. AKA fighters in three consecutive fights, maybe he’ll fight someone else now (Semtex, Thiago Alves?)

Maia nice work, expected him to win.

Serra nice knockout on Trigg. I think Trigg will be given the pink slip, his days are over.

I was really impressed with Phil Davis, that guy is for real. I see him becoming the next Jon Jones, with similar frames and fighting styles.

And how about Rolles Gracie forgetting to hit the treadmill? Or even train, for that matter.

Did anyone catch what Coleman was saying at the end, when he was talking to someone outside the cage? It was loud where I was watching it, couldn’t hear anything.

Coleman was talking to Tito.

I don’t think Nate overlooked him he fought pretty well he flash KO’d Sonnen, almost submiitted him and cut him pretty good, he just can’t fight off of his back but when has Nate had too. The only fighters Sonnen has lost to were complete bjj fighters, Horn, Filho, Maia, Babalu, Forrest.

Trigg should fight Phil Baroni or someone like that, Serra would be a nice test for Amir Sodallah.

Who does Randy get know? I think if Machida wins his rematch with Shogun, Couture will get the nod, but if Anderson beats Vitor and Shougun wins I see that fight being made, who knows what will happen theres Page coming back too?

preciate the clarification drewh. I just read Tito was running his mouth and Coleman put him in his place.

Interesting point re: Randy. LHW is so stacked, someone is getting worked over somewhere, but the majority of LHW contenders have either just lost or have just come off of a one win streak. And yeah, if Anderson moved up permanently to LHW, that throws another wrench into the whole picture. Should be interesting.

rolles gracie wtf

drewh: the nerves, the nerves!

I honestly think it’s time for Coleman to hang up the MMA gloves and move on. The guy was a great champion at one time, and helped in evolving MMA to the point where it is today (pretty much invented the “ground and pound” style which many wrestlers have been successful with). But at this time father time has caught up with him and the game has passed him by.

What’s up with him not even trying to take Couture down? Not even a single attempt.

And honestly, beating Coleman should not put Randy in line for a title shot. Not saying that he should never get one, but not be next in line.

Marquardt fought a bad fight against Sonnen (who looked like a very big MW) and got pretty much completely dominated for the whole 3 rounds (until that last reversal where he ended up in north south and did a little gnp himself). Sonnen’s got the wrestling ability to possibly give Anderson some problems, if (and that’s a big if) he can successfully close the gap and make Anderson grapple with him.

Honestly I would have thought that Marquardt would have been a better counter wrestler (constantly training with GSP) and better off of his back. But kudos to Sonnen for working on guillotine defense (which was his undoing in the past).

Impressive submission win by Thiago.

Phil Davis looks like he’s got some serious potential and I’m excited to see what he can develop into if he gets good instruction.

Missed the Trigg/Serra fight, but don’t really care.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I honestly think it’s time for Coleman to hang up the MMA gloves and move on. The guy was a great champion at one time, and helped in evolving MMA to the point where it is today (pretty much invented the “ground and pound” style which many wrestlers have been successful with). But at this time father time has caught up with him and the game has passed him by.

What’s up with him not even trying to take Couture down? Not even a single attempt.

And honestly, beating Coleman should not put Randy in line for a title shot. Not saying that he should never get one, but not be next in line.

Marquardt fought a bad fight against Sonnen (who looked like a very big MW) and got pretty much completely dominated for the whole 3 rounds (until that last reversal where he ended up in north south and did a little gnp himself). Sonnen’s got the wrestling ability to possibly give Anderson some problems, if (and that’s a big if) he can successfully close the gap and make Anderson grapple with him.

Honestly I would have thought that Marquardt would have been a better counter wrestler (constantly training with GSP) and better off of his back. But kudos to Sonnen for working on guillotine defense (which was his undoing in the past).

Phil Davis looks like he’s got some serious potential and I’m excited to see what he can develop into if he gets good instruction.

Missed the Trigg/Serra fight, but don’t really care.[/quote]
Sonnen has lost by arm bar guillotine and triangle. Nate also flash KO’d Sonnen in the first.

Paulo Thiago is an intimidating dude. Fucking BOPE

I think Chael Sonnen might be new favorite fighter.

[quote]drewh wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Missed the Trigg/Serra fight, but don’t really care.[/quote]
Sonnen has lost by arm bar guillotine and triangle. Nate also flash KO’d Sonnen in the first.[/quote]

True, but at least he learned how to defend a guillotine (we really don’t know about the arm bar or triangle since Nate didn’t attempt one), which was all I said. Good for him for improving on a weakness.

Sonnen did get rocked in the first, but recovered quickly and was able to get Nate down and control/gnp him. Not saying that Nate did absolutely nothing in that fight and deserved say a 10-8 in any of the rounds. But it would be silly not to say that Sonnen dominated Nate in that fight.