Coldest Temperature Allowable To Perform H.I.I.T In?

What is the coldest temperature allowable to perform H.I.I.T in?

I’d like to incorporate some sprints in my training, but with a Canadian winter fast approaching, I’m wondering how wise it would be to do so.

I know that at just minus 10 degrees C my lungs would get irritated by the cold air I’m breathing, so I cant imagine it being good for you.

Does anyone know what is the actual cut off point?

Can’t you perform indoor cycling on a statioanry bike. I think you answered your own question about the temperature irratability that you feel. laters pk

I think it comes down to how bad you want/need to do HIIT. My only caution would be to watch out for ice, or even better If you can get to a basketball court and run the HIIT. I did this it works great, and as a plus it will help you run the floor better, if you play basketball.
Good luck
Will42

A good jump rope could also be a valuble tool.

Hey ZEB,

What’s your favorite type of jump rope? I’ve tried a leather one, which I didn’t like, a cheap plastic rope, and one of those speed ropes that have the bearings in the handle…

What have you tried? What works well for you? I’m not looking for a souped up version to do the work for me, just what others find comfortable and fun to use.

Kyle

[quote]Upstate Lifter wrote:
Hey ZEB,

What’s your favorite type of jump rope? I’ve tried a leather one, which I didn’t like, a cheap plastic rope, and one of those speed ropes that have the bearings in the handle…

What have you tried? What works well for you? I’m not looking for a souped up version to do the work for me, just what others find comfortable and fun to use.

Kyle[/quote]

Kyle:

Believe it or not I use an old one that I’ve had for years. Wooden handles with a real “rope” between them.

I agree with you, I tried two different types and neither felt right. One of them was quite expensive, I got a video along with it. It was a gift from my wife, so I had to try it. Went back to my old one.

I usually jump for one minute then one minute off. Sometimes I count reps. Go for 100 then rest for about a minute.

It’s a great tool on those rainy or cold days.

I agree with others, try my indoor HOC workouts, see the article here at T-Nation. Heavy bag combo or jump rope cocktail will work well for cardio.

Mike Mahler

Thanks for the input guys.

The reason why I asked is because I’m strapped for time lately and cant make it to the gym where I would have access to a stationary bike or heavybag.

Running outdoors was going to be my solution to this problem, but unfortunately it may not be appropriate.

If anyone has any other ideas, dont be shy!