T Nation

Cold Pasta With...?

I've just lost 25 pounds because I got a particularly bad case of mumps combined with a stomach infection. As soon as I'm fully recovered I will be doing a lot of aerobic work (rowing) and I'm planning to go crazy on calories for a while. Considering my tight budget and crap kitchen it looks like cooking large amounts of pasta at a time and eating it cold in intervals seems like a good option.

What sauce / dressing would you suggest with the pasta that you can eat cold? I've seen people use tuna but that would be very dry. Pasta, tuna and mayo?

Any other suggestions?
How can you consume peanut butter if you don't like it with bread or in shakes? It just gives me a really dry mouth but it would be nice calories :confused:

My current shopping list is:
Malt loafs
Bread, cheese, ham for sandwiches
Whole milk
(eggs, again cooking will be difficult)
Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Protein powder as a drink

That stuff is on top the college food which is pretty low quality.

The calories can be as "dirty" as they want because I can pretty much eat anything and not gain much weight, particularly fat.

I'm 20yo, 6"5, down to 200pounds trying to get back up to at least 230.

Thanks a lot!

I like to add some sun-dried tomatoes and a little bit of olive oil when I eat whole-wheat pasta cold.

Balle, going "crazy on calories" probably isn't the best approach unless your goal is to maximize fat gain. I'm sure you'd like the look a lot better if maximized LBM (Lean Body Mass) gain and put on minimal fat.

In general, it's not a good idea to go from one extreme to another. You end up losing what you don't want to lose (i.e., muscle) and gaining what you don't want to gain (i.e., fat).

My recommendation would be that you adopt some of T-Nation's dietary core values:

• Protein every meal
  • Good fats, including olive oil, flaxseed oil and fish oil, nuts, etc.
  • All the fibrous green veggies you can eat, along with 3 servings of fruit and a serving of beans daily
  • Optimized PWO nutrition with starchy carbs

Lonnie Lowery has written some great articles on how to do a lean bulk if you're interested. All of his stuff and John Berardi's is excellent.

Good luck!!!