Cold-Calling Jobs

So here I am, looking for a job as I finish my last two months of my master’s degree, applying to like 8 jobs a week, and everyone always says you gotta call jobs.

Thing is, I’m bad at cold-calling, I hate it. Anyone have advice for a cold-calling newb that needs to find a job?

EDIT: I’m talking about calling after I’ve already submitted a resume to a posted opening… thought that would be cleare…

[quote]samdan wrote:
So here I am, looking for a job as I finish my last two months of my master’s degree, applying to like 8 jobs a week, and everyone always says you gotta call jobs.

Thing is, I’m bad at cold-calling, I hate it. Anyone have advice for a cold-calling newb that needs to find a job?[/quote]

Sadly, I used to have to give telephone surveys to get customer ratings on automobile repair and buying experiences. It was the only job I’ve ever walked out on.

When you cold call, smile. It transfers over to your voice. Don’t speak quickly and find a way of putting variance in your voice. Enunciate.

Hopefully you don’t have to do this for too long.

I don’t think he has a job cold calling customers just yet. I think he’s talking about cold calling businesses to get an interview or something. I could be wrong though.

stand when you talk on the phone. seriously

Fap when you talk on the phone. It transfers to your voice.

Why would you cold call for a job, in the day in age? Assuming you are looking for a professional position, networking, and getting your resume distributed, are the ways to go.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
stand when you talk on the phone. seriously[/quote]

yes but dont walk around if you have creaky floors. they can hear it!!

[quote]PeteS wrote:
Why would you cold call for a job, in the day in age? Assuming you are looking for a professional position, networking, and getting your resume distributed, are the ways to go. [/quote]

Don’t forget putting an ad out in the classifieds.

I would call to followup on resumes sent/interviews and that sort of thing, but I imagine cold calling a complete stranger would be horribly awkward.

“Hi, my name is samdan and I’m looking for a job! I have no experience or contacts whatsoever, but I’m really attractive and have the entire Stargate series on DVD!”

crickets

“Is there someone there I could talk to about my future employment with…uh…whatever company this is?”

click

I’m talking about calling after I’ve already submitted a resume to a posted opening…

^ Not really a cold call since they technically have your resume/application. Following up is important. I get calls all the time people following up on resume’s they submitted to me. Smile and stand up and act like you are talking to a hot woman and want to mount her. Confidence comes through.

I’ve gotten a number of interviews by calling and asking to speak with HR or who ever interviews/hires new employees.

Let them know that you are calling about employment, mention ad or web service that you saw their company on, confirm that they are hiring, and tell them that the fax is on its way. Confirm that the number you got from their site is the correct one to send your info to. If you don’t have the fax number, get it, then let them know it will be right over. Schedule the interview as you speak to them when you both have cover letter/resume in hand.

Out of respect for their time and your own, don’t waste too much time on particulars like qualifications, job responsibilities and terms of employment given that you wouldn’t be responding if you weren’t qualified or interested in the first place.

Most higher level employment requires several interviews with a number of people before an offer is made or terms are discussed anyways.

I’ve spent the better part of the last decade in sales related jobs with consistent success, and landed interviews for positions way above my qualifications and experience (unfortunately I couldn’t talk my way past my inexperience :).

When you follow up with a company after you submit your information, talk to whoever answers like a normal person - like your buddy or girlfriend, just more professional. Write down what you’re going to say ahead of time as a guide. Something like this would work well:

“Hi, my name is [blah], I’m hoping you could help me out for a second?”

They will say “sure!” or “Of course!” or “I hate you” (Just kidding, I’ve never heard anything negative after asking for ‘help’).

Then say “I submitted my information to your firm/company/agency in response to an opportunity in your marketing/sales/IT/operations/finance/accounting divison, and I’m wondering who I would talk to about this opportunity?”

They’ll give you the name and contact information for the right person.

It’s that simple.

The advantage to asking for the specific division is: They may give you the hiring manager for that department instead of the human resources generalist, which potentially puts you a step ahead of the process.

Good luck!

[quote]catalyst wrote:

Then say "I submitted my information to your firm/company/agency in response to an opportunity in your marketing/sales/IT/operations/finance/accounting divison,
[/quote]

Wow! What a multi-faceted department.