T Nation

Coincidentally, My Mom is a UFC Fighter Too

I work at a bar/club over by UoAlabama.

If i had a dollar for everytime some guy getting ejected threatened to ‘submit me’ or exclaimed that he was a UFC fighter…well i guess i wouldn’t be working in a bar.

It’s like they feel simply by putting on an ‘ed hardy’ or ‘affliction’ shirt and name dropping a few UFC fighters, all of a sudden they are the next rampage jackson.

hint: the last time a guy tried to pull a bouncer down into his guard, he got his face kicked in by three other security guards coming to help.

oh well.

Wow, How cool. How exactly does bouncing in a bar compare to sport fighting?

The really sad part is when people equate UFC to street fighting. UFC is a sport, with rules and refs. They have rounds, officials.

The street has nothing but your own survival on the line. I love UFC, but these wannabes are going to eventually get themselves killed.

I remember a bar fight where one guy said he knew Muay Thai, the other guy had a knife. You can do the math.

In my opinion HM your doing these guys a favor, better a whuppin by you then the alternative.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
Wow, How cool. How exactly does bouncing in a bar compare to sport fighting?[/quote]

chill dude.

I just feel the whole concept of MMA has become so watered down. these guys feel that they can walk into a dojo, roll around for three months, learn a few submissions, maybe a choke or two, and now they’re a lethal weapon. what they’ve failed to do is ever try out their sweet new techniques on someone who actually fights back.

more importantly, instead of gaining any kind of self-discipline, confidence, or self control that normally comes along with learning martial arts, they (generally) just turn into cocky assholes with loud mouths.

…it’s just a phenomenon i’ve noticed, particularly working at a bar.

Yeah, this would be one of the pitfalls I think the mma craze has created. Traditional martial arts tended to emphasize respect and discipline where MMA gyms don’t always…even BJJ doesn’t really stress the discipline aspect part.

However, the more experience I have in the gym and sparring (and the older I get) the less likely I am to get into any kind of altercation outside of the gym…so maybe this attitude will transfer by exposure.

lol he’s right…you try coming at me to choke me n shit and im going to be throwin fuckin BOMBS at your face haha and if you do close the distance, I have elbows…i have headbutts, hell ill bite your face i dont really give a fuck haha.

I’m trained in muay thai, but I know those skills can only take me so far…you gotta have a whole nother mentality when your fighting on the streets. Also extreme aggression usually helps in the streets (if your in the midst of fighting).

lol a funny thing i heard regarding mma was a scrawny guy…probably around 16-17 or so. We were watchin muay thai fights and a guy I train with was on the card. Then this skinny kid said…all these guys know is muay thai, we’re the only gym here that trains MMA so we could beat all these guys in a real fight.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
snipeout wrote:
Wow, How cool. How exactly does bouncing in a bar compare to sport fighting?

chill dude.

I just feel the whole concept of MMA has become so watered down. these guys feel that they can walk into a dojo, roll around for three months, learn a few submissions, maybe a choke or two, and now they’re a lethal weapon. what they’ve failed to do is ever try out their sweet new techniques on someone who actually fights back.

more importantly, instead of gaining any kind of self-discipline, confidence, or self control that normally comes along with learning martial arts, they (generally) just turn into cocky assholes with loud mouths.

…it’s just a phenomenon i’ve noticed, particularly working at a bar.[/quote]

It was more like a knee jerk response. The 2 don’t coorelate at all. Anyone thinking that because they train x discipline means they can win a bar fight is just stupid. I have worked in prisons and now a county jail for 9 years, it is nice to have formal training to fall back on but formal training doesn’t stop a weapon or usually more than one attacker. The people you refer to probably don’t even train.

As far as your comment about not trying the techniques on someone who fights back. The whole thing that make BJJ what it is, is the resisted live 1 on 1 training done on open mats.

Loud mouth, tapout shirt wearing, skinny pricks annoy everyone!

I couldn’t tell you how many people now claim to be a Ultimate fighter/MMA fighter/Cage fighter. My sister even had one guy tell her he use to fight in the UFC and he trained at a shaolin temple in China. Little did he know that we had a friend who fought in UFC 18 in New Orleans and he tried to tell her he knew who our friend was, but couldn’t describe what he looks like and my sis and I both have been to China and speak some Mandarin, which he couldn’t remember the name of the temple and he couldn’t speak ANY Chinese dialect.

Yeah i noticed a similar thing a while ago when do a week worth of security shifts for a friend. Buddy dude had decided that the waitresses were keen for some handling… and so we had to remove him.

Guy squirms like a goose and keeps threatening me with untimely doom. Then says the most awesome thing i’ve ever heard:

“I bet you dont know about… TRIANGLE CHOKE!” and then tries to jump up and pull guard on me, falls on his back/ass. I was laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe in and thought i was going to suffocate.

I couldn’t even say something quippy back because I was laughing. He just fucked off after that, confident hat I knew nothing of triangle chokes. Keep in mind that I was only working for a WEEK as a favor.

Then about 2-3 weeks later I’m at my BJJ/MMA etc club, having totally forgot about this issue. We are warming up and who rolls up? Old mate who KNOWS about triangle choke! Small small city i live in.

Guess what happened to him during guard passing drill.

-chris

[quote]snipeout wrote:

It was more like a knee jerk response. The 2 don’t coorelate at all. Anyone thinking that because they train x discipline means they can win a bar fight is just stupid.

I have worked in prisons and now a county jail for 9 years, it is nice to have formal training to fall back on but formal training doesn’t stop a weapon or usually more than one attacker. The people you refer to probably don’t even train.

As far as your comment about not trying the techniques on someone who fights back. The whole thing that make BJJ what it is, is the resisted live 1 on 1 training done on open mats.

Loud mouth, tapout shirt wearing, skinny pricks annoy everyone!
[/quote]

well, i’ve only noticed coming from guys that ‘train’ bjj. i’ve yet to have a guy exclaim to me how he’s a ‘kempo karate blackbelt’ while being drug out of the place.

[quote]snipeout wrote:

As far as your comment about not trying the techniques on someone who fights back. The whole thing that make BJJ what it is, is the resisted live 1 on 1 training done on open mats.

[/quote]

but that’s exactly it. they roll around a few times and think ‘wow, i know how to fight’ infact, the MAIN reason i feel these d-bags gravitate towards bjj is because that can’t handle the idea of being punched in the face.

so then what happens when something outside the norm of their air conditioned dojo happens (ie: they get punched in the face)? they FREAK out, turtle up, and turn into something my 90 year old grandma can sweep out the door.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
snipeout wrote:

It was more like a knee jerk response. The 2 don’t coorelate at all. Anyone thinking that because they train x discipline means they can win a bar fight is just stupid.

I have worked in prisons and now a county jail for 9 years, it is nice to have formal training to fall back on but formal training doesn’t stop a weapon or usually more than one attacker. The people you refer to probably don’t even train.

As far as your comment about not trying the techniques on someone who fights back. The whole thing that make BJJ what it is, is the resisted live 1 on 1 training done on open mats.

Loud mouth, tapout shirt wearing, skinny pricks annoy everyone!

well, i’ve only noticed coming from guys that ‘train’ bjj. i’ve yet to have a guy exclaim to me how he’s a ‘kempo karate blackbelt’ while being drug out of the place.

snipeout wrote:

As far as your comment about not trying the techniques on someone who fights back. The whole thing that make BJJ what it is, is the resisted live 1 on 1 training done on open mats.

but that’s exactly it. they roll around a few times and think ‘wow, i know how to fight’ infact, the MAIN reason i feel these d-bags gravitate towards bjj is because that can’t handle the idea of being punched in the face.

so then what happens when something outside the norm of their air conditioned dojo happens (ie: they get punched in the face)? they FREAK out, turtle up, and turn into something my 90 year old grandma can sweep out the door.[/quote]

This is turning into more of a pissing contest than a discussion, but here goes. Having done both(along with 16 or so years of wrestling) I can say it is much more humbling being totally controlled on the ground than it is to be worked over in a kickboxing/boxing match, especially by someone 60 pounds lighter than you.

I’m not disagreeing with what you are saying about guys who train a few times and think they can handle ‘anyone or anything’.

sorry to come off that way snipe, i meant no dissrespect.

that is pretty interesting that you say that though. i’d much rather get ‘totally controlled’ on the ground than rocked by a dude’s fists.

i also noticed that you mentioned working in the prison systems. is that as a correctional officer? if so, my hats off to you, as well as mentioning that you’re fucking nuts. lol, i roll sometimes with a guy who works at a federal prison, and some of the stories he tells are freaking insane.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
sorry to come off that way snipe, i meant no dissrespect.

that is pretty interesting that you say that though. i’d much rather get ‘totally controlled’ on the ground than rocked by a dude’s fists.

i also noticed that you mentioned working in the prison systems. is that as a correctional officer? if so, my hats off to you, as well as mentioning that you’re fucking nuts. lol, i roll sometimes with a guy who works at a federal prison, and some of the stories he tells are freaking insane.[/quote]

I’d actually rather get worked over with punches than be under someone and not be able to get up. Don’t get me wrong I would rather neither and they both have there place in a fight. One on one it’s going to hit the ground and you need to be able to fight on the ground, but how often is a fight ever one on one.

In a bar setting or prison setting if you go to the ground you will be maimed or killed. If someone tried to pull guard on me in a street fight situation I would block it and stomp their face in. That said though a quick hard double leg where your knees don’t hit or osoto gari or a hip throw can end a fight with no punches.

Prisons are no joke, boxing is the preferred technique here because I don’t want to hit the ground. BJJ is best saved for competitions.

I think ALL these mmgay’s deserve the criticism. Here in south FL they are every fucking where and most I met are douches.It is a fad gay sport for suburban white kids to play with each other on and feel tough. Most are losers who don’t go to college or have a job and live with mommy and daddy. They have to train or dry hump their boys.

[quote]sevenmoist wrote:
I think ALL these mmgay’s deserve the criticism. Here in south FL they are every fucking where and most I met are douches.It is a fad gay sport for suburban white kids to play with each other on and feel tough. Most are losers who don’t go to college or have a job and live with mommy and daddy. They have to train or dry hump their boys.[/quote]

It kinda sounds like one of them beat you up and boned your chick.

[quote]sevenmoist wrote:
I think ALL these mmgay’s deserve the criticism. Here in south FL they are every fucking where and most I met are douches.It is a fad gay sport for suburban white kids to play with each other on and feel tough. Most are losers who don’t go to college or have a job and live with mommy and daddy. They have to train or dry hump their boys.[/quote]

That does sound annoying. Here in DC there are a bunch of losers that get some tribal tats, lift some weights, and stroll the town with their wife beaters to feel tough. Ma, where’s the protein!!!

you should all know that mma is pretty cool. I don’t wanna hate on it, cause it’s a pretty cool sport n all. Also yes there is lots of “mmgays” out there lol and guys who think they are tough with the t-shirts and all that shit but in the end real recognize real. period.

most of them will never stick with it, and be too busy partying n getting drunk. only the true ones will stick with it, most of the time for life unless injured. but it will always be apart of them and those are the ones who don’t talk shit/start shit.
real recognize real.

I have been training mma for years now and i realized that the sport I have loved turned into a fad sport for d-bags. I still train MMA but refuse to tell anyone about it. The old tap out shirts I had have gone to goodwill because I would not be caught dead wearing that shit anymore. Too many overly tan douches act like cage fighters and think they are the shit. Hope this fad passes fast so the people that actully enjoy the sport can enjoy it again.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
you should all know that mma is pretty cool. I don’t wanna hate on it, cause it’s a pretty cool sport n all. [/quote]

no one is hating on mma. just the d-bags in affliction shirts who roll around every tuesday at the YMCA for an hour and then feel the urge to exclaim how they’ve got a UFC contract coming up when they go out on weekends

Two thoughts come to mind- firstly I have never heard anyone bragging about BJJ training. I think its less popular this side of the pond, but I could be wrong. Over here its boxing, people are queuing up to tell you they box.

Secondly, do people really think they are the shit after three weeks of BJJ? I have done about 6 weeks now, and I am terrified by how crap I am at the whole damned thing. Maybe I’m just retarded, but BJJ does not breed confidence in this newbie.