T Nation

Coincidences!

I love coincidences. I don't think there's any strange incredible meaning behind them, but I just love them when they happen.
I'd like to discuss personal ones here.

Here are some of mine:

A couple of days ago I was reading the word Caesar and there was an ad for Rome on HBO and someone said it at the exact second I read the word.

My brother and sister have the same birthday (Feb. 21) but they're not twins, and they're both grown up and have had sons both born on September 9th, but in different years.

On a trip to London about ten years ago I was walking near Hyde Park with a girlfriend and I thought I saw someone I knew from Winnipeg in a phone booth. I couldn't see his face but thought it was a guy I knew. I craned my neck, thinking I was being silly as we were in London and wouldn't ya know...it was him! And I'd only introduced him to my girlfriend about two weeks before back in Winnipeg.

My name is Sean Harrison and one time at a barbecue a girl came up and asked me if I was related to Sean Harrison. I said that I was Sean Harrison and she said no I wasn't. We ended up figuring out that she went to high school with a guy called Sean Harrison and that he looked like me enough for her to think we were related (we're not).

One time driving from Winnipeg to Calgary I was passed on the highway by a good buddy. I caught up with him at the next McDonalds. This was in Sakatchewan....and Canada's pretty big.

I love Back to the Future and I love that my parents got married on Saturday November 12th, 1955...which is the exact date of the Enchantment Under the Sea dance where Marty plays Johnny B. Goode and goes back to 1985....a fate that Doc posits may be the crux of the entire spacetime continuum.

That's all I remember right now. What about you guys?

My dad always was running into people he knew, I saw enough of this to be awed by it. Then it started happening to me. I’m in NY, was in Florida in 1991 at a Walmart. I ran into a guy that had retired from work a year or so earlier, it was like you picked him up from his office and plopped him down in Fla. Same shirt, pants, shoes and chewing on a toothpick.

I was running into people I knew all over, California, Hawaii… all over it was quite weird.

In high school, some of us were screwing this one girl, Joyce. She was quite a wild piece and I’d go to her house after school. Lost track of her after HS. I bought this car 2 years later from a guy who was in the Air Force and just came back from Modesto, Ca. I was cleaning the car out, took out the back seat… find an USAF ID card with this girl Joyce’s face on it, same girl but married to the guy I got the car from.

12 years later, I was looking for a house and finally settled on one. Turns out its owned by the USAF guy’s dad. I mentioned that I bought a car from his son and he remembered me. I asked if he was still married to Joyce. He proceeds to tell me how she took his son over the high hurdles and they got divorced. A pretty odd chain of coincidences.

Rob

I was listening to the song “After the Thrill Is Gone” by the Eagles on my iPod, with the shuffle setting on last week. I was walking downtown to have a cup of coffee at Starbucks and when I walked into the building “After the Thrill Is Gone” was also playing inside and within 5 seconds of the same spot I was at in the song on my iPod.

edit: the thrill wasn’t gone until after the song ended, just so you guys know.

Have two acquaintances - one I’ve known since grade 2 or 3, so fifty years or so (Vic1); the other (Vic2) since late high school. Both named Victor, and both born on the exact same day and year as me.

Hadn’t seen either one for many years, though at one time I spent a fair amount of time with each of them, separately. Then, this past summer, went to a birthday party, where Vic1 and his wife were also guests. About two weeks later, saw Vic2, an actor, in a play at a local theater. Caught up with him very briefly after the curtain. It was his final performance, before leaving, 10 minutes later, for an extended period in Paris. I gotta say, some weird freaking coincidences!

I was born in Chico, California, which was pretty small back then compared to today. I grew up in the Bay Area and was drinking at a bar with some random dude and a couple of women and somehow the conversation turned to the places we were all born. Turns out that the dude and I were both born on the same day of the same year in the same hospital.

Not a big one, but I recently moved to Virginia from Chicago, and one of my co-workers was born in the same hospital I was. I don’t know his birthday but I should probably find out. I’m not from the town I was born in, my parents just happened to still use the doctor there. He was in three different branches of the military before settling here, after traveling the world.

All these weird coincidences (or fate) makes you wonder what we are missing. Think about it, you could have walked right by your future wife this morning. Even if you do end up with her, you may never know that you had a close encounter.

As another example, maybe if you left for work a minute earlier to later, you might have been in a horrible car accident. I’ve been in a semi bad car accident and I wondered “If only I had let a minute earlier this wouldn’t have happened”

I was thinking how a guy that used to workout at the gym I worked at was doing because he had multiple shoulder surgeries. Two days after that he came into my work at a grocery store in a different city and we chatted.

I was going to start a thread about coincidences because of a coincidence I had regarding the word “Caesar”.

Then, I saw this thread…

Ended up in the maternity ward waiting room with the same guy, 3 times, several years apart.

Never seen him anywhere else, but we have 3 kids (me 4, twins) born on the respective same days.

Our wives do not know each other, and no family connection this side of Abraham, Issac, Jacob known.

Second time was funny. Third time was a little creepy.

I actually don’t like the guy. He was mean to his wife.

I have this really weird coincidence. And I swear I’m not exaggerating or making up any detail of this.

A year and a half ago my friend (let’s call him Marko) said that his brother (lets call him Richard) ate out a girl while she was having her period, and kept going. Yuck.

Then like 6 months later I head off to university, and out of the tens of thousands of people, I meet and befriend a guy (let’s call him Mason) who know Marko and Richard.

2 months after that we go to a party where Mason brings this girl along (Vicky). I liked her and decided to pursue. We were eating at a restaurant. She seemed interested at first, but then started ignoring everything I was saying halfway through.

About a month later I tell Marko about Vicky. Richard happened to be in the room and turned bright red. It turns out Vicky was the one that Richard ate out.

Then I remembered that night. When we were at the restaurant, someone ordered a steak that was bloody. Upon being offered a piece, I turned it down because a bloody steak reminded me of Richard and the girl. It turns out, the girl was sitting not TWO FEET AWAY FROM ME as I was telling the story. That’s why she all of sudden stopped liking me. LOL

Very weak/not really a coincidence:

Got my retirement orders on February 22nd, and I will have served 22 years, 2 months, and 22 days on Active Duty when I separate… My wife was tripping.

Coincidences can be a motherfucker:

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
Coincidences can be a motherfucker:

So glad you posted that, not just because it’s hilarious, but I was coincidentally in the mood for some R Kelly. I can’t decide between Sex Planet or Zoo though…

My daughter was born on my dads birthday the year after he died. That’s all I got.

I was born on the same day as the baby Jesus. Bit of a gap in age I know but still…

[quote]IFlashBack wrote:
I have this really weird coincidence. And I swear I’m not exaggerating or making up any detail of this.

A year and a half ago my friend (let’s call him Marko) said that his brother (lets call him Richard) ate out a girl while she was having her period, and kept going. Yuck.

Then like 6 months later I head off to university, and out of the tens of thousands of people, I meet and befriend a guy (let’s call him Mason) who know Marko and Richard.

2 months after that we go to a party where Mason brings this girl along (Vicky). I liked her and decided to pursue. We were eating at a restaurant. She seemed interested at first, but then started ignoring everything I was saying halfway through.

About a month later I tell Marko about Vicky. Richard happened to be in the room and turned bright red. It turns out Vicky was the one that Richard ate out.

Then I remembered that night. When we were at the restaurant, someone ordered a steak that was bloody. Upon being offered a piece, I turned it down because a bloody steak reminded me of Richard and the girl. It turns out, the girl was sitting not TWO FEET AWAY FROM ME as I was telling the story. That’s why she all of sudden stopped liking me. LOL [/quote]
Holy shit that’s takin your red wings way too far… Crazy coincidence though lol.

I got a couple.

This happened in 1998. I was replacing my garage side door and since it had to be anchored in the concrete opening, I gave my brother a call to give me a hand. It happened to be his birthday June 8th and I was feeding him lunch anyway. We’re taking the old door out and there was newspapers wadded between the frame and cement block wall. For kicks, we unwad some of them to see how old it was. I almost fell over, one of them, it was dated to the day of his birth, June 8, 1958, exactly 40 years to the day.

Another one. My wife was working customer service for a local department store. Some lady comes in with a bill and has a question, she had no balance on her account and now she gets this bill in the mail. My wife looks at her bill… realizes that this is HER bill the lady has in her hand. “How did you get my bill?”. It turns out that both ladies are named Barbara and the house number are the same, same town but different streets. The mailman put the bill in the wrong mail box.

Rob

I took my family to visit my in-laws several states away. As I was going through my bag to get some clothes I found a small newspaper clipping of my grandpa’s obituary. I have no idea how it got there because I keep things like that in a particular place in my room where I wouldn’t have grabbed anything to pack for the trip. I look at it and realize that the day he died is that very day. I called my mom to see how she was doing. She got very emotional and thanked me for calling because she was thinking of my grandpa just then. Also, my middle name is my grandpa’s name.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
Also, my middle name is my grandpa’s name.[/quote]

What a Coincidence? My middle name is my Mom’s Dad’s name.