Coffee: Just as Healthy as Vegetables

There doesn’t appear to be, at least from what I’ve been able to find.

1 Like

No, it was too weird, even for me. I haven’t seen any additional research, but admittedly, I haven’t looked too hard!

1 Like

Thanks for another great article. Confirms that coffee may indeed be one of the elixirs of the gods (along with tea).

I would love to see an update article on the effects of plastics on the endocrine system.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll add it to the list.

1 Like

For someone who eats a lot of fruits/vegetables but doesn’t drink coffee, would drinking coffee provide the same benefits mentioned in the article? Or are you kind of maxed out at a certain level of polyphenols, etc., and coffee is just a different way to get those?

1 Like

Damn, you ask some tough questions! Short answer, I don’t think anyone knows. It’s possible, though, that coffee might contain high quantities of rare or even unique polyphenols. And it’s quite possible, even probable, that you can “max out” at a certain level of polyphenols. That being said, if you really eat a large variety of fruits and vegetables (including leafy ones), you’re probably doing great.

2 Likes

Curious if paper pod coffee for the Kcup brewing systems would then not have any of the negative effects associated with the plastic pods? I’ve found a brand that is all paper and can be thrown away in any green recycling container, that should be safe, correct?

Makes sense, but don’t know for sure. I’d take the chance (if I didn’t feel like switching to a drip system).

1 Like

What coffee maker do you use, good sir?

Just a basic Braun drip coffee maker, off Amazon. Paper filters.

1 Like

Naturally :smiley:

me too

1 Like

Can’t stand coffee. But love Tea and have several forms. Any recommendations for us poor non-coffee drinkers?

1 Like

Unfortunately, you’ll simply have to eat vegetables. That’s what you get for eschewing the nectar of the gods!

I’m just kidding; I like coffee and don’t like tea, so I’ve nothing of value to offer (as is often the case).

2 Likes

I concur. As a consequence, I can gag down tea.

If I must be social and drink tea, I request Earl Grey.

2 Likes

I wasn’t a fan of coffee as a kid and just identified as a “don’t like coffee” person. I love the smell though. After reading this maybe it’s time to revisit. Decaf for me though.

1 Like

I do the fake sip, where the cup touches my mouth but never gets emptier.

A great place to be! I like coffee, but am reducing my caffeine intake, so most of my daily consumption is decaf. Good for you if you never get the caffeine addiction going in the first place.

1 Like

Does this mean you don’t worry too much about the hot water/coffee touching the plastic parts of the coffee maker? I had a brief period where I worried about this but then I concluded I was probably being a little too obsessive.

I brewed coffee for years with the reusable filter. I recently switched to paper and actually like the taste better.

1 Like

Having acid reflux means I have to be conscious of inflammation in my esophagus. And hot, brewed black coffee first thing in the morning was causing a noticeable burn just below my throat. My feeling was it was both the heat and the cafestol. So I switched to instant coffee a couple of months ago as that apparently does not contain as much cafestol. Now the burn does not happen anymore. But then I also have started adding a bit of cold half and half to bring down the heat of the coffee before drinking it.

My LDL cholesterol has been high for ten years now. Although my triglycerides have always been at a healthy level. Anyway, now that I am apparently taking in much less cafestol, I can’t wait to find out if my LDL cholesterol has gone down during my next annual blood work. Regarding the acrylamides, I guess we cannot really get that perfect cup of coffee after all. We just have to be prepared to change how we drink coffee as our physiology changes over the years.