Coffee Good For You?

I never used to drink coffee, but the past few months have been drinking 3-4 cups/day. I find the caffeine in Hot-Rox helps intensify my workouts, and I wonder if coffee could help with weight loss goals (appetite suppression, metabolism boost).

Here is an article published this week on the potential health benefits of coffee:

Long-term coffee drinking does not appear to increase a person’s risk of early death and may cut a person’s chances of dying from heart disease, according to a study published on Monday.

I probably shouldn’t have all the artificial sweeteners that I add to my coffee, but the coffee itself doesn’t seem so bad.

What do you think?

just don’t load it with heavy cream & white sugar and you should be alright. Black is healthiest if you can stomach it. If not, use some artificial creamer that has low calories.

I too like to drink a cup or two of coffee before my workouts.

use some protein powder to sweeten it

IF your going to drink a lot of coffee, I suggest you buy organic. Coffee is most likely the only bitter herb most people on this forum actually take in so its really a good thing.

and wait a sec… an MSN article? They’re never right about health related topics.

coffee by itself with nothing added sure

those 500+ calorie abominations you see at starbucks no

I drink over a 2 liter of black, dark roast coffee a day. Just make sure you drink plenty of milk or take calcium supplements since caffeine does leech calcium.

I don’t recommend you put artificial sweeteners in your coffee though because i think they mess with you appetite to make you crave carbs. Google artificial sweeteners/diet soda make you fat to find information on it.

Well yes, the majority of clean caffeine sources (ie; natural) are always going to deliver benefits to the body in some form or another I figure.

However, I really never have been a fan of drinking outrageous amounts of caffiene products due to the adverse effects of dehydration, etc.

It may be interesting to note that darker roasts actually have LESS caffeine even though they have a stronger taste to them. The intense roasting heat breaks the caffeine down.

Google Scholar the topic of caffeine and weight loss, etc. to find some good peer reviewed stuff.

[quote]UB07 wrote:
It may be interesting to note that darker roasts actually have LESS caffeine even though they have a stronger taste to them. The intense roasting heat breaks the caffeine down.

Google Scholar the topic of caffeine and weight loss, etc. to find some good peer reviewed stuff. [/quote]

Wow, i didn’t know that about dark roasts, i thought i was always consuming 2-3x more caffine.

Coffee is fine.

I recall epidemiological studies of Fins drinking something like 8 cups of coffee and having extremely low risks for Alzheimer’s, Parkinsons, heart disease, stroke, etc.

Who knows…