T Nation

Coffee Aids in Appetite Supression

I don't have the link to any actual studies to throw up, but as I was driving in to work this morning I had the radio on and the news folks were discussing how this is something that has been studied, and is now a supported effect.

I just thought it was kind of cool, as when I would diet for contests, a couple of times each week I like to really let my calories and carbs drop low, and on those days I often find myself drinking a lot of coffee. I'm certain this is something that many others have stumbled upon themselves just through experience.

Always nice to have something you were doing simply through your own anecdotal reasoning suddenly supported by 'real' science :slightly_smiling:

S

I read this somewhere in the mainstream media today as well.

Although I have learnt to dismiss/ignore advice on nutrition and fitness from the mainstream media.

tweet

I’d always thought both caffeine and nicotine worked as appetite suppressants.

I found this quote elsewhere just now:
“One study from Duke University suggests that caffeine often masks hunger and fatigue because it acts as a stimulant, providing a short-term boost in energy and alertness. However, using caffeine to compensate for poor sleeping and eating habits have long-term negative affects.” - http://www.mynetdiary.com/caffeines-effect-on-hunger-suppressant-or.html#sthash.Cfmw1CB6.dpuf

I haven’t been able to find that study though, or anything that corroborates with this.

I remember an article on here maybe a year or two back about using Nicotine as a diet aid. Personally, I’ll stick with the Yohimbine/Caffeine/Tyrosine combo :slight_smile:

S

It’s interesting to make the connection between Ephedrine and Epinephrine (adrenaline) since they are chemically similar and have similar physiological impacts on the body. Ephedrine is commonly used as an over-the-counter appetite suppresant. And one of the ways that caffeine stimulates the body is through the increased rates of Epinephrine activity. Voila caffeine suppresses appetite!

Unrelated, Stu, do you take caffeine around workouts? I used to but have cutback after finding out it decreases insulin sensitivity.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I just thought it was kind of cool, as when I would diet for contests, a couple of times each week I like to really let my calories and carbs drop low, and on those days I often find myself drinking a lot of coffee. I’m certain this is something that many others have stumbled upon themselves just through experience.
[/quote]
My caffeine intake doubles from 2 cups of coffee a day to 4 cups when I low-carb.

In Paul Chek’s book, “How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy”, he talks about having the optimum mix of carbs and fats for your body. He didn’t go into the science of it but claimed the if you ate a meal the was too fatty you could balance it by having a cup of coffee or tea or a carb item. Said that’s why some people crave sweets after a heavy meal.

Any “Chek” people on here feel free to correct me if I’m wrong it has been a while since I read that book.

I remember an article on here maybe a year or two back about using Nicotine as a diet aid. Personally, I’ll stick with the Yohimbine/Caffeine/Tyrosine combo :slight_smile:

S[/quote]

Haha I remember this too. The author wrote about using nicotine gum for appetite suppression. I would rather just drink a cup of coffee. Nice reminder Stu, I’m about to start a hard cut and need any help I can get.

I love bullet proof coffee! 12ozs coffee,2 tbls grass fed butter and a tbls coconut oil.

[quote]I just thought it was kind of cool, as when I would diet for contests, a couple of times each week I like to really let my calories and carbs drop low, and on those days I often find myself drinking a lot of coffee. I’m certain this is something that many others have stumbled upon themselves just through experience.

Always nice to have something you were doing simply through your own anecdotal reasoning suddenly supported by ‘real’ science :slight_smile: [/quote]

Totally agree! Coffee is great for curbing hunger during low cal periods, etc.

Love it for Intermittent Fasting as well, though I’m not sure if a cup of black coffee in the morning technically ‘breaks the fast’ or not.

[quote]magick62d wrote:
I love bullet proof coffee! 12ozs coffee,2 tbls grass fed butter and a tbls coconut oil. [/quote]

I’m going to have to try this. Sounds too bizarre to not actually try it for myself.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]magick62d wrote:
I love bullet proof coffee! 12ozs coffee,2 tbls grass fed butter and a tbls coconut oil. [/quote]
I’m going to have to try this. Sounds too bizarre to not actually try it for myself.[/quote]

Sounds terrible.

I tried 2 tbles heavy whipping cream and 2 tbles spoons of coconut oil ounce and it was so thick I think the spoon stood up. I can’t imaging how thick 2 pats of butter instead of cream would make it.

I am all for getting the healthy fats in but I don’t like messing with my coffee.

I was just over at Elite fts, they were talking about using old coffee grinds to make a tanning paste, honest to god, coffee the possibilities are endless !

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]magick62d wrote:
I’m going to have to try this. Sounds too bizarre to not actually try it for myself.[/quote]
Sounds terrible.

I tried 2 tbles heavy whipping cream and 2 tbles spoons of coconut oil ounce and it was so thick I think the spoon stood up. I can’t imaging how thick 2 pats of butter instead of cream would make it.

I am all for getting the healthy fats in but I don’t like messing with my coffee.
[/quote]

Well, I just tried it. It really wasn’t bad.

It ends up being 1tbsp of butter and 1/2tbsp (1-1/2 tsp) of coconut oil per cup of coffee. You’re supposed to blend it until it all foams up; I used a blender bottle. I expected it to be thicker but it really wasn’t.

Might have been a stupid idea having that much caffeine this late in the day though.

S[/quote]
interesting you mention yohimbine hcl. I tried it for a couple of weeks on a cut… 10mg at breakfast and 10mg before my workout and noticed absolutely no difference. Maybe I wasn’t taking enough or dosed at the wrong times. What’s the best protocol for Yohimbine?

[quote]gkeeper24 wrote:
Kiefer claims in Carb Backloading that roasted coffee beans contain chemicals called cholinomimetics that suppress hunger. This effect is in both caffeinated and decaffeinated.[/quote]

This

I wouldn’t be able to survive (literally) the fasting part of 16/8 without coffee…

NO-NAME: I do keep a couple of bottle of caffeine around the apt. My ritual lately is upon getting home from work, I pop one, with some Alpha Male, and GPC, then I take the dog out, answer emails, and relax a bit before starting my pre-training routine. On weekends I like to actually brew coffee and hit the gym early, so I’ll skip the caffeine pills. In terms of it affecting insulin sensitivity, while I haven’t noticed anything (not sure if I even would though, I’ve been a coffee fan for a very long time), it may be such a minor effect that it’s fairly inconsequential to even let it worry you.

AZCats: I believe I have 12.5 mg Yohimbine capsules that I usually take with 200 mgs caffeine, and a 300 mgs Tyrosine. I’ll do this about 30-40 mins before a training session when I’m cutting, and it usually seriously gets me breathing fire by the time I hit the gym. I’m sure some people are more tolerant than others, and yohimbine by itself may not pack the same wallop as when you throw some caffeine into the mix.

I’ll also point out that I don’t use this year round. In fact, when I start a protocol, I’ll always find myself very sensitive to the effects. So much so that for a few days I’ll take it after I eat a meal, hoping for a slower digestion. After a week or two, I’m usually good to go, and any possible ‘side effects’ (jitters, sweats) subside for the most part.

AnytimeJake: While I’ve never heard of using good old coffee grounds (miracles that they are) for tanning purposes, a lot of old school bodybuilders (60’s and 70’s) would use iodine to actually dye their skins before a contest. You couldn’t just pop online and purchase a tin of ‘Dream Tan’ back then :slight_smile:

S

[quote]AzCats wrote:

S[/quote]
interesting you mention yohimbine hcl. I tried it for a couple of weeks on a cut… 10mg at breakfast and 10mg before my workout and noticed absolutely no difference. Maybe I wasn’t taking enough or dosed at the wrong times. What’s the best protocol for Yohimbine?[/quote]

AzCats - In a nod to our hosts, I will say that Biotest does “stimulants” right. HOT-ROX and Spike Shooters have some kind of magical caff/yoh combination.

Hey, coffee is a life saver! At least that is what i read the other week.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]magick62d wrote:
Sounds terrible.

[/quote]

Well, I just tried it. It really wasn’t bad.

It ends up being 1tbsp of butter and 1/2tbsp (1-1/2 tsp) of coconut oil per cup of coffee. You’re supposed to blend it until it all foams up; I used a blender bottle. I expected it to be thicker but it really wasn’t.

Might have been a stupid idea having that much caffeine this late in the day though.[/quote]

I do 1/3 of a cup of cream (5 tbsp) and 1 tbsp of coconut oil, and I love it. This butter thing sounds genius I must try it.