Coffee Addiction - The Silent Kiiller

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
There are some great articles discussing the health benefits of coffee out there lately. Anti cancer, alzheimers, antioxident, fat loss…[/quote]
absolutely, just be sure to get organic, coffee beans are heavily sprayed. and seeing how pesticides increase risk of Alz and Parkinson’s that would negate health benefit of coffee.

Oh, and coffee, up to 3c/day has been shown to reduce risk of Parkinson’s 50%[/quote]
Cressey’s blog just had a guest post (part 1 of 2) on the health benefits of coffee.

Interesting point:
"There is a lot of conflicting research on coffee consumption, and it seems to be because people have different clearance rates for caffeine. On one hand, you have the “slow” metabolizers of caffeine: people who are adversely affected by caffeine, get the jitters, and are wired for up to nine hours. Then, there are those who simply have an increase in energy and alertness that wears off within a few hours; they are considered “fast” metabolizers of caffeine.

This seems to be a defining difference in whether or not coffee will help you or hurt you…"

My Uncle Tom… 67 years old drinks coffee like he’s getting paid by th ounce

He is far from what you would consider a fitness or healthy lifestyle buff… but he is able to jump in a lake or pool & swimm 500 yards like its a warm up

he was also strong enough to pull/minor tear his own pec a couple years ago with a bolt cutters… some young guys were whining that the bolt cutters wasn’t good enough or something… Tom said step asside & snapped the lock off no prob…

now I know that this is one isolated example… but the old cranks that I know that can still get down seem to guzzle coffee

just sayin… take it for what its worth… by the way his pec healed up no prob, my cousin & I thaought it was funny as heck that he got a pec tear too (we both had 'em but did so benching 5+ with no shirt)

my Dad also drinks coffee with the same vengance & he is one bad mountain man!

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I’ve been trying to cut down, but I still have at least 1 cup a day, and normally it’s more like 2 or 3. And, when I say “cup”, I mean 12-16 ounces. So, I typically have between 24 and 48 oz a day on top of my pre-workout jack3d and my energy levels are fine. Just been trying to cut down 'cause I’m not sure how good a quarter gallon of coffee a day is for me.[/quote]

damn dude.

I love coffee. I probably have a pot a day. Today I ran out, so I bought a pound of “Kenya” from Starbucks. The label reads as follows:

“This coffee truly captures the rich flavours of Kenya in a cup. We’ve offered it since 1971 and it never ceases to amaze us - juicy acidity, elegant mouthfeel and complex layers of flavour, often with wine-like low notes, hints of black currant, blackberry and even tart grapefruit. Please enjoy with a wedge of pink grapefruit on a sunny veranda”

Yeah, I made some. Know what it tastes like? FUCKING COFFEE. And I’m pretty sure the average Kenyan lacks perspective of “wine-like low notes, with hints of black currant” (Not to mention the veranda)

Starbucks = Pompous dicks.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
I love coffee. I probably have a pot a day. Today I ran out, so I bought a pound of “Kenya” from Starbucks.

Starbucks = Pompous dicks.[/quote]

I dont want to do a “thread hijack”, but am I the only one that makes effort in making choices about where I spend my money.

Yes starbucks are pompous dicks, hence I will rather go without coffee and endure a jack-hammering headache then give them one dollar. I would rather starve for an extra hour than eat a teen sweat infused burger from mcdonalds. I would rather travel an extra 5 minutes in my car to buy meat from a local butcher, not the closer option of a coorperate supermarket.

Are the people demonstrating at wall st also thinking like this? I dont know, but Im thinking probably not.

Wake up people!

tweet

I drink at least a pot of coffee a day. I sleep great and have no mood effects. The rare days I have only a couple cups, I feel fine as well. I see nothing wrong with daily and moderate/heavy consumption. I also drink plenty of water.

Yeah, I never advocate someone skip on sleep and rely on coffee, but it’s nice to know it does help health.

As for the dark chocolate, aware of that as well. We buy a 85% kind, not as sweet as I would like, but it’s definitely not bad at all.

I love coffee. I probably have a pot a day. Today I ran out, so I bought a pound of “Kenya” from Starbucks. The label reads as follows:

“This coffee truly captures the rich flavours of Kenya in a cup. We’ve offered it since 1971 and it never ceases to amaze us - juicy acidity, elegant mouthfeel and complex layers of flavour, often with wine-like low notes, hints of black currant, blackberry and even tart grapefruit. Please enjoy with a wedge of pink grapefruit on a sunny veranda”

Yeah, I made some. Know what it tastes like? FUCKING COFFEE. And I’m pretty sure the average Kenyan lacks perspective of “wine-like low notes, with hints of black currant” (Not to mention the veranda)

Pompous or not, Starbucks makes some HORRIBLE-ass coffee. It’s the most bitter shit any “barista” has ever brewed on this planet. Tastes like burnt ass.

I have NO idea how they’ve gotten such a wide following by selling coffee that tastes like burnt ass. Imagine if they sold coffee that DIDN’T taste like burnt ass!

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
this seems like bro-science from Poliquin, but he’s stated that blonde/blue-eyed people should take in less caffeine in general because they tend to have weaker adrenal glands.[/quote]

That’s really interesting, especially since that fits me to the T (have blue eyes and really blonde hair and haven’t noticed many others with the same problems).

I’ve discovered this year that my lack of drive in the gym after training frequently is not so much to do with training too much, but rather adrenal fatigue. It got that bad at one point I was taking stimulants (ephedrine/caffeine etc) just to feel normal and get through my day.

Part 2 of Cressey’s coffee post:

"While some studies have found large intakes (5-6 cups) to have significant benefits, other research seems to show that coffee consumption that high tends to trend back down the curve. Some is good, but more might not be better, especially if you are a slow metabolizer.

Looking at the totality of data, it seems that 24oz of coffee per day will maximize the benefits while minimizing the risk."

That said, I polished off a full french press (about 32oz) of Dunkin’ Donuts original blend this morning.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Pompous or not, Starbucks makes some HORRIBLE-ass coffee. It’s the most bitter shit any “barista” has ever brewed on this planet. Tastes like burnt ass.[/quote]
Agreed. I stick with the basic “americano” if I end up there, but it’s nothing to rave about. In order of preference/quality of coffee on the go, I’d say it’s Dunkin’ D’s, McDonald’s, 7-11, and then Starbucks.

[quote]theBird wrote:

I love coffee. I probably have a pot a day. Today I ran out, so I bought a pound of “Kenya” from Starbucks.

I dont want to do a “thread hijack”, but am I the only one that makes effort in making choices about where I spend my money.

Yes starbucks are pompous dicks, hence I will rather go without coffee and endure a jack-hammering headache then give them one dollar. I would rather starve for an extra hour than eat a teen sweat infused burger from mcdonalds. I would rather travel an extra 5 minutes in my car to buy meat from a local butcher, not the closer option of a coorperate supermarket.

Are the people demonstrating at wall st also thinking like this? I dont know, but Im thinking probably not.

Wake up people!

tweet

[/quote]

You obviously not a parent or married are you?

Starbucks should never be looked at as real coffee roasters…

The amount of money you are paying is all fucked up for their sub-par, sitting around far longer than 2 weeks post roast beans.

I may come off as a coffee snob, but I’m not. I’ll gladly drink the maxwell house drip coffee when I’m at work and like it, too. But, if I’m gonna spend extra $ on coffee for extra enjoyment, it certainly won’t be starbucks.

If I’m at home, then I’ll make coffee for the taste, in fact, I don’t even get much stimulation from drinking coffee. I’ll buy real beans from a real roaster and I’ll make it the tried and true old fashioned way: with a french press. That’s how coffee should fucking taste.

I’m fortunate being in NYC, as there are lots of GREAT, high-quality indie coffee shops that really do it right.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[/quote]

No Im not a parent. I understand how some parents are time poor and succumb to the power of the coorperates and drink coffee that tastes like burnt ass.

No Im not married. Believe it or not, I do have a gf. And if she tried to make me drink burnt ass coffee or sweat infused burgers, I would slap her and PIHP.

And do I lift weights? I lift heavy ass weight. Lightweight!!!

tweet

And do I lift weights? I lift heavy ass weight. Lightweight!!!

please define heavy ass weight (because it has a lot to do with the original post)

[quote]alexus wrote:
sigh.

coffee isn’t measured in cups anymore than spirits are measured in cups. both are measured in shots.
there can be more or less shots in a cup.
for instance, you could have a triple shot cup of coffee…
or (as is common in america) you could have a single shot of espresso in the motherfucking biggest cup you ever saw in your life (kinda like starbucks only worse). you know… coffee that doesn’t even taste like coffee… when your barrista reccomends blueberry caramel flavored coffee that is a hint that your barrista is not a barrista…
i don’t know how brewed coffee compares to shots of espresso (with respect to how much brewed coffee compares to a shot). does brewed coffee have a standardized system (like the shot) with which to compare??[/quote]

Yes.

It’s called ‘cups’. Imagine that.

Another thing about Starbucks.

WHen you walk in. The aroma you smell is not that of the coffee being brewed at the moment or fresh beans sitting out somewhere unseen. Starbucks infuses the smell of coffee artificially into the air of the store. Nothing scandalous, but something else to think about besides their poor tasting coffee

I love coffee. Cheap, instant stuff - I was raised on it. I hate the ‘good’ stuff

Some interesting information about the benefits of coffee by Brian St Pierre

[quote]LikeWater wrote:

please define heavy ass weight (because it has a lot to do with the original post)[/quote]

How does it have a lot to do with the original post?
Anyway; squat; 160kg for 5, bench; 105kg for 5, deadlift; 180kg for 1, military press; 65kg for 5.

And Alexus is correct regarding the measurement of coffee. Its almost standard to have 2 shots for every serving of coffee.

Alexus- what coffee is your favourite? How do you have it? Did you ever try ‘5 senses’ while you were living in Aus?

tweet

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
I love coffee. Cheap, instant stuff - I was raised on it. I hate the ‘good’ stuff

Some interesting information about the benefits of coffee by Brian St Pierre

[/quote]

Hi dannyrate,

Ive heard that instant coffee is bad for you. I dont know the details. Although its better than french press if you have cholesterol levels.

tweet