T Nation

Coffee Addiction - The Silent Kiiller

cally- talk to the hand.

therajraj- its great to see that the humble coffee bean has so many benefits and make me feels better that I used to be a former addict. But where are the studies that show how coffee can interfere with a persons energy levels and sleep.
For example, you try drinking 3 cups of coffee on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and then tell me how you feel on Thursday.

tweet

i wonder how much caffine those health benefits are associated with.

i have to say that one of the things i’m enjoying most about being back in NZ is the awesome coffee!!! don’t get me wrong, i have had very good espresso in aussie and in the US, but much much harder to find (in my experience). but perhaps it comes down to personal tastes of how you like it…

i’m weirdly a take it or leave it kinda person when it comes to coffee. i’ll admit i drink quite a lot (probably around 6 shots per day) but i have days when i don’t have any and i don’t really notice an appreciable difference. i’ve also substituted decaf for coffee (some of the water filtered ones are pretty good) and find i get a little bit of a coffee hit which shows me that a huge part of it for me is the psychological association.

studies have shown similar things for nicotine…

i always said i’d never ever ever ever ever quit nicotine though might possibly quit smoking one day… when i did quit (for three months) the plan was to chop the nicotine gum into tinier portions and have one of those instead of having cigarettes. it worked sorta well to start with (though takes longer to absorb the nicotine from gum than from smoke and coffee inhibits the absorption). eventually… i just kinda voluntarily quit the gum, though, because i found it gave me a queasy stomach.

i do wonder about the high-low process of nicotine and caffine. similar to sugar and stuff… you do get temporary gains, i think, but then you get the come down. for every high there is a low, i guess…

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Only problem with being a regular coffee drinker - you likely have yellow ass teeth.[/quote]

Super Smile for the win, that shit works fast and well. I have used it myself.

I think “energy levels” is mostly in your head.

Since there are no ill effects to 2 or 3 cups a day, then why not keep drinking it? Why cut down?

Also, don’t forget that when they say “cups” they usually mean 8 fluid ounces, so if you use a normal coffee cup, most of them are already 12 ounces or more. I have a 20oz mug and I have one of those a day.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi friends,

I would like to bring up the topic of coffee addiction. For about a year now I have been drinking 10-15 cups of coffee per week, and as a result I believe I have suffered mood and energy swings like a menopausal psycho.

For the past 2 weeks I have cut down to 3 cups of coffee a week, and have included 4 cups of green tea a week to my program. I feel that my energy levels are more stable, and I dont get the sudden hit of tiredness mid-week like I used to.

I would just like to make you all aware of this, as it wasnt evident to me that my coffee addiction was having such an impact on my lifestyle.

Go.

tweet[/quote]

I personally suffer with similar issues when I drink coffee. Wild mood swings, crazy thoughts. It isn’t the caffeine though, I can drink other caffeine containing drinks just fine.

good for the liver too.

make sure you’re not drinking that terrible instant stuff.

I just limit my coffee to before midday else it can mess with my sleep.

[quote]theBird wrote:
cally- talk to the hand.

tweet[/quote]

typical response from a soccer player.

twat

I’ve been trying to cut down, but I still have at least 1 cup a day, and normally it’s more like 2 or 3. And, when I say “cup”, I mean 12-16 ounces. So, I typically have between 24 and 48 oz a day on top of my pre-workout jack3d and my energy levels are fine. Just been trying to cut down 'cause I’m not sure how good a quarter gallon of coffee a day is for me.

For reference, it’s 10 am and I just slammed two of these 16 oz cups. I’ll probably have at least one more before I get outta here.

Whiteflash- What type of coffee do you drink? Now that I am allowed less than 5 cups a week, I try and make sure its good quality coffee, which means not drinking out of those platic/paper cups. How do you find jack3d? I often used to make a coffee as part of my pre-work out routine (I have my own coffee machine at home).

Cally- Yer, you really hurt my feelings that time.

tweet tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Whiteflash- What type of coffee do you drink? Now that I am allowed less than 5 cups a week, I try and make sure its good quality coffee, which means not drinking out of those platic/paper cups. How do you find jack3d? I often used to make a coffee as part of my pre-work out routine (I have my own coffee machine at home).

tweet tweet[/quote]

I kid, I played rep soccer in my youth so I don’t hate

sigh.

coffee isn’t measured in cups anymore than spirits are measured in cups. both are measured in shots.
there can be more or less shots in a cup.
for instance, you could have a triple shot cup of coffee…
or (as is common in america) you could have a single shot of espresso in the motherfucking biggest cup you ever saw in your life (kinda like starbucks only worse). you know… coffee that doesn’t even taste like coffee… when your barrista reccomends blueberry caramel flavored coffee that is a hint that your barrista is not a barrista…
i don’t know how brewed coffee compares to shots of espresso (with respect to how much brewed coffee compares to a shot). does brewed coffee have a standardized system (like the shot) with which to compare??

this seems like bro-science from Poliquin, but he’s stated that blonde/blue-eyed people should take in less caffeine in general because they tend to have weaker adrenal glands. Don’t know what the actual science shows. All I know is that I’m brown-hair/blue-eyed and caffeine can fuck with me if I take too much.

how many of you coffee fiends are also regular smokers?

Many of the problems with coffee - esp. extreme amounts - is from people using it as a replacement for sleep. There is no replacement for sleep. Stimulants just steal from your own future energy; eventually, you have to pay the piper.

Basics of healthy sleep for most people: go dim 2 hrs before bed (sends signal to brain to start preparing for sleep), go to bed no later than midnight, sleep in darkness and quiet, don’t get up til dawn (preferably a little after).

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
There are some great articles discussing the health benefits of coffee out there lately. Anti cancer, alzheimers, antioxident, fat loss…[/quote]

absolutely, just be sure to get organic, coffee beans are heavily sprayed. and seeing how pesticides increase risk of Alz and Parkinson’s that would negate health benefit of coffee.

Oh, and coffee, up to 3c/day has been shown to reduce risk of Parkinson’s 50%

in light of all this, I have never been a coffee drinker, but have started as of 2 weeks ago[/quote]

70+% cocoa chocolate - as little as a few grams a day - has similar qualities.

[quote]theBird wrote:

tweet tweet[/quote]

I really just drink whatever’s around, be it good quality coffee shipped in from overseas or the bum urine from the pot at the office. It’s all the same shit upside-down.

And, not to derail but I love jack3d. Super focused energy without the jitters. And, I get it from a sup warehouse so it’s less than a dollar a serving.

Do you americans drink flat whites? Cappacinos? Short machiattos? Lattes?

tweet tweet

Yeah man, we got all that shit. I personally don’t, but you can get all that at any coffee shop. Never heard of a flat white but I’m pretty unadventurous about coffee.

Heres another article purporting the benefits of coffee