T Nation

Coffee Addiction - The Silent Kiiller

Hi friends,

I would like to bring up the topic of coffee addiction. For about a year now I have been drinking 10-15 cups of coffee per week, and as a result I believe I have suffered mood and energy swings like a menopausal psycho.

For the past 2 weeks I have cut down to 3 cups of coffee a week, and have included 4 cups of green tea a week to my program. I feel that my energy levels are more stable, and I dont get the sudden hit of tiredness mid-week like I used to.

I would just like to make you all aware of this, as it wasnt evident to me that my coffee addiction was having such an impact on my lifestyle.

Go.

tweet

You count coffee and tea by week? Not saying anything against this or your point, just find it odd.

2 to 2.5 cups of coffee a day is pretty average for a coffee drinker.

Congrats on getting clean.

Plain Pat- I was just using the coffee/week unit to demonstrate my addiction level. I suppose I could of said 2-3 cups of coffee a day, but I think 10-15 cups a week gave readers a better understanding of my intake. Some days I would have 3 and some days I would only have 1 etc.

imhungry- thanks, but once an addict always an addict. I will do my best not to relapse. Having those 2-3 cups of coffee a day really interefered with my energy levels, especially towards the end of the week.

tweet

I just supplemented my coffee addiction with ephedrine and Jack3d. It's like "the patch" but different.

Hell, I hardly drink coffee anymore!

There are some great articles discussing the health benefits of coffee out there lately. Anti cancer, alzheimers, antioxident, fat loss...

Yeah I was having thoughts along the same line, but too much of anything can really interfere with your body. Good in moderation, 1-2 cups a day probably.

I've tried that, then I just ended up going back to it and drinking 1 to 2 cups a day. Though the funny thing is I din't notice like I had anymore energy than usual. I actually started drinking decaf and it did the trick. Probably chalk it up to habit.

6 plus to prevent alzheimers and prostate/breast cancer from what I read.

What do you americans drink anyway?

I suppose like here in Australia, you must have lots of Italian migrants that brought good coffee with them?
We have a few starbucks here in the big cities, and those are just aweful. Dont know how they make business.

tweet

yes, the italians brought the good coffee from central america to north america.

I drink 8-10 cups of coffee a day when I'm working 14 hr shifts. I drink none when I'm off. It doesn't make a difference to me

Shit, I better get going then.

absolutely, just be sure to get organic, coffee beans are heavily sprayed. and seeing how pesticides increase risk of Alz and Parkinson's that would negate health benefit of coffee.

Oh, and coffee, up to 3c/day has been shown to reduce risk of Parkinson's 50%

in light of all this, I have never been a coffee drinker, but have started as of 2 weeks ago

in addition to the above poster, Dr. Colgan who runs a very large brain "protection" facility/program says beyond 3c/day the benefit of Parkinson's risk goes down. Not sure about other health issues

I really miss coffee. Where I'm stationed right now it tastes so horrible I can't touch the stuff. I've been drinking diet soda instead, to support my caffeine habit. Given a choice between the two, coffee seems to be the obviously smart thing to consume. I really don't have an interest in kicking my caffeine habit, but I'd love to get a french press and a bean grinder.

jehovasfitness- beaware, once your an addict your an addict. I do not support the idea of 3 cups a day. I think that is too much caffeine, and will interupt with your energy levels and rest.

tweet

too late, lol funny one night I went to bed looking forward to that coffee.

that said though, I only drink it 3-4x week on the days I need to get up earlier than I like, so figured that would be a good middle ground. And then only do 2 cups

Just because you believe it, does not make it true.

In the year 2000, two studies (one in the mainstream journal Neurology and one in JAMA) showed that coffee consumption is associated with a reduced risk for Parkinson?s disease. More recent studies have also shown that coffee drinkers are less likely to get Alzheimer?s disease and dementia. Coffee has even been shown in a study published in Psychopharmacology to improve short-term cognitive function on various testing parameters like reaction time, choice reaction time, incidental verbal memory, and visuo-spatial reasoning.

The mechanisms behind the health benefits could from the coffee enhances detoxification in the body, and/or its anti-oxidant content.

A 10-year study involving 34,670 women showed that subjects who drank coffee had significantly lower risk of developing stroke than those who did not drink coffee or drank coffee in low amounts. This study began in 1997 and involved researchers from prestigious scientific institutions in Stockholm, Sweden; and Helsinki, Finland. The study found that in addition to reducing the risk of stroke, drinking coffee increases activity in the frontal lobe of the brain, which is involved in memory, and in the anterior cingulate cortex of the brain, which is involved in attention. Caffeine has also been shown to improve endurance and strength, and as such is an extremely versatile ergogenic aid.

Among the benefits of caffeine is its ability to reduce post-workout muscle soreness. A study conducted by the University of Georgia and published in March 2007 in The Journal of Pain found that consuming the equivalent of two cups of coffee (5 mg per kilo of bodyweight) one hour before training can reduce post-workout muscle soreness by up to 48 percent.

The study involved nine female college-age students who did not lift weights on a regular basis and who were not regular caffeine users. In comparison, studies using naproxen (used in Aleve) produced a 30 percent decrease in muscle soreness while aspirin produced only a 25 percent decrease. Because many individuals are reluctant to begin lifting weights for fear of becoming sore, the authors noted, ?This finding may improve the quality of life of individuals who experience skeletal muscle pain after engaging in unaccustomed, eccentrically biased exercise.?

Only problem with being a regular coffee drinker - you likely have yellow ass teeth.