Coconut Oil....

I was recently reading some magazine article extolling the virtues coconut oil; how it helped people lose fat by the truckfull. Do you guys know anything about this? Tried searching tnation for coconut oil and only found articles relating to its high saturated fat profile.

it is healthy oil but lose weight? You need to stop reading those magazines. They are crap. Losing weight is about burning more calories than you take in. Simple as that!

Since noboby so far seems to know much about coconut oil, ill post some links for your reading pleasure. Interesting stuff:

I just bought some virgin coconut oil. I thought id give it a try. Ill let you guys know what it tastes like in my protein shake.

edit: Didnt see the above post until after I posted these links. I actually resent that. Im far from some lemming that follows the herd (are lemmings herded?) I conduct research, assimilate information, then form my own opinion based on that research. Coming from someone that frequents this board, im surprised you’d say something as inane as “those magazines are crap.” You dont even know wtf I was reading. Why dont you try and spout off some of the “craaazzy” nutritional practices lauded on this board like the use of fish oil, milled flax seeds, brain boosters, testosterone boosters, etc. to the average person. They’ll nod, then as soon as you turn around, they’d do the universal sign for “cookoo,cookoo.” Anway, rant over. I’m gonna try the stuff if not just for its purported health benefits. If fat loss is a byproduct of that, then Yipeekayay mofo…

Sounds yummy!

Everything you want to know about the numerous merits of coconut oil and more:

I just tried it in my protein drink. It has just a light taste of coconut. Its not bad.

O.K. so according to the link that WIse11 posted coconut oil has a large concentration of MCT fatty acids! That explanes the purported fat loss.

La’
Redsol1

[quote]redsol1 wrote:
O.K. so according to the link that WIse11 posted coconut oil has a large concentration of MCT fatty acids! That explanes the purported fat loss.

La’
Redsol1[/quote]

Would you care to expound upon that conclusion? Mediun chain fatty acids aid in fat loss? how?

i have some coconut oil, all it is is 13 grams of saturated fat per serving, dont see how it will help you lose weight

Udo’s Choice Oil Blend has Coconut Oil in it. Not sure how much, but it is the 4th ingredient listed, after Flax oil, sunflower oil and sesame oil…

T-Buck

Just because an oil is a saturated fatty acid does not mean it is unhealthy. coconut oil is mostly MCT’s which the body uses easily for energy. it also contains an anti-viral properties. I take 15grams in the morning with 15 grams fish oil and 15 grams olive oil with 60 grams of a whey protein/casein shake when i go with P+F meal. laters pk

Saturated fats, under the right conditions, are not bad for you. Hit search and read up on some of the good info on this site.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
Saturated fats, under the right conditions, are not bad for you. Hit search and read up on some of the good info on this site.[/quote]

Damn right they’re not.

That’s actually something of a gross understatement.

Here’s a wealth of information for any misguided individual that may still harbor any doubts:

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html

make sure to scroll all the way down to the “menu” section.

[quote]Tungsten wrote:
Losing weight is about burning more calories than you take in. Simple as that! [/quote]

You’re totally joking right???
If not, you urgently need to thoroughly read most of Dr. JB’s articles on proper nutrition. He’s mentioned the concept ad naseum that a calorie isn’t a calorie. Different types of protein/carbs/fat have various effects on the body with respect to metabolism, muscle building, and fat burning… Search the archives for related details.

Peace out.

[quote]stellar_horizon wrote:
Tungsten wrote:
Losing weight is about burning more calories than you take in. Simple as that!

If not, you urgently need to thoroughly read most of Dr. JB’s articles on proper nutrition. He’s mentioned the concept ad naseum that a calorie isn’t a calorie. Different types of protein/carbs/fat have various effects on the body with respect to metabolism, muscle building, and fat burning… Search the archives for related details.

Peace out.
[/quote]

Think about that very carefully…

[quote]stellar_horizon wrote:
Tungsten wrote:
Losing weight is about burning more calories than you take in. Simple as that!

Peace out.
[/quote]

I agree with stellar on this point as far as losing fat mass but i think that Tungsten is refering to losing fat and muscle weight together so technically that is losing weight. People need to differentiate between losing fat mass and losing overall weight. laters pk