Coconut Oil and Insulin Sensitivity

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Coconut oil + Vanilla Metabolic Drive.[/quote]

I tried this once and the coconut oil hardened because of the coldness of the shake so it was in these weird little coconut butter chunks, so I didn’t do it again. The texture was very strange.

I’ve been looking around for this for a while now, does anyone know where to get it in the UK?

[quote]chillain wrote:
dre wrote:
I’ve been using it for cooking instead of EVOO and it’s wonderful. I use a heaping spoonful for cooking eggs in the morning.

yessir. I’ve been mixing in coconut oil for the past 3 months now and look fwd to getting some new bloodwork results (I’m REALLY hoping for an HDL boost) in another eight weeks or so.

[/quote]

chillain,

I would be interested in knowing how the coconut oil affects your bloodwork. I’ve been wanting to start using it more but I’m still a little skeptical about the saturated fat content (family history, ect.)

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:
I understand that coconut oil is solid at room temp.

However, mine is liquid. I use Nature’s Way “EFA Gold” coconut oil. It’s organic, extra virgin, cold pressed, zero hydrogenation. It also advertises “62% MCT’s”.

It’s labeled as a dietary supplement.

I live in Hawaii (hot and moist, always). Could that be the reason why it’s liquid?

Is 62% MCT’s higher than average? If so, could that be the reason why it’s liquid?

I bought it at the local health food store as a liquid.[/quote]

I think from what I’ve read coconut oil will become a liquid at around 76F degrees.

[quote]gameness wrote:
chillain wrote:
dre wrote:
I’ve been using it for cooking instead of EVOO and it’s wonderful. I use a heaping spoonful for cooking eggs in the morning.

yessir. I’ve been mixing in coconut oil for the past 3 months now and look fwd to getting some new bloodwork results (I’m REALLY hoping for an HDL boost) in another eight weeks or so.

chillain,

I would be interested in knowing how the coconut oil affects your bloodwork. I’ve been wanting to start using it more but I’m still a little skeptical about the saturated fat content (family history, ect.)

[/quote]

saturated fat is not the enemy my friend.

[quote]antman wrote:
I’ve been looking around for this for a while now, does anyone know where to get it in the UK?[/quote]

Did you used to post on AS?

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:

However, mine is liquid. I use Nature’s Way “EFA Gold” coconut oil. It’s organic, extra virgin, cold pressed, zero hydrogenation. It also advertises “62% MCT’s”.

I live in Hawaii (hot and moist, always). Could that be the reason why it’s liquid?

Is 62% MCT’s higher than average? If so, could that be the reason why it’s liquid?

I bought it at the local health food store as a liquid.[/quote]

Whether it’s liquid or solid at room temperature depends on what one calls room temperature.

The melting point is in the mid-low 70’s F if I recall correctly.

It’s liquid in my house this time of year also.

MCT content would affect melting point, as you suggest, but I don’t know if it varies significantly between different brands or batches.

Medium-chain saturated fatty acids are different than the usual long-chain fatty acids. It cannot be assumed, and it isn’t so, that effects seen with long-chain fatty acids of typical saturated fats are going to occur with the different saturated fats of coconut oil.

“Saturated” is a term that hardly pinpoints the nature of a molecule. All it means is, “doesn’t have a double (or triple) bond.” It is not the case that everything that doesn’t have a double bond has the same effects as everything else that doesn’t have a double bond.

Unfortunately, authorities on fats or nutrition in general commonly choose to oversimplify, group together, and act as if everything within broad categories is the same.

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
Soldierslim wrote:

I bought it at the local health food store as a liquid.

Yeah I have a similar issue. Don’t think it’s a problem though. For me, it’s easier to take because you can measure it out as a liquid much easier than as a solid. The brand I have is Vitamin Shoppe. It says cold-pressed extra virgin organic coconut oil. Extra-virgin doesn’t mean anything though with coconut oil because I guess there’s no standard as to what that means in the countries that produce most of the world’s coconut oil, I think.

The MCT thing is just a “feature”. Something that people will see because they’ve heard/read that MCTs get burned as energy, blah, blah, blah, and the company wants to take advantage of the hype. I believe coconut oil’s MCTs are lauric acid, caprylic acid, and capric acid.

As a side note fractionated coconut oil (the stuff you see in lots of processed foods) contains almost all caprylic and capric acid (I have no idea what this means, but I’ve heard that caprylic acid is good for candida). Of course, I’m just parroting wikipedia so you never know how accurate the information is. Bottom line: coconut oil rules.

I live in New York which is quite the opposite in terms of your climate so I don’t think region has much to do with it. I think mine is liquid because my kitchen is more humid than the rest of my house.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

[quote]dre wrote:
Soldierslim wrote:

I think from what I’ve read coconut oil will become a liquid at around 76F degrees.
[/quote]

Bingo, 76F is a cold winter day for me. Thanks.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Soldierslim wrote:

Whether it’s liquid or solid at room temperature depends on what one calls room temperature.

The melting point is in the mid-low 70’s F if I recall correctly.

It’s liquid in my house this time of year also.

MCT content would affect melting point, as you suggest, but I don’t know if it varies significantly between different brands or batches.

[/quote]

Thanks Bill, your input’s always appreciated.

[quote]plateau wrote:
antman wrote:
I’ve been looking around for this for a while now, does anyone know where to get it in the UK?

Did you used to post on AS?[/quote]

Thanks very much appreciated!

Yes, i used to post on AS before it ended!

I just read that coconut oil is not recommend for the Anabolic Diet, just an FYI