Coconut Milk

Now I know some articles have been posted on the site promoting the use of coconut oil; but I wanted to hear what everyone thinks about it.

I’ve been throwing around a half a can of this in my morning shake (around 600-800 calories); would anyone recommend against this?

i do the same and considering i can’t handle too many carbs, i am not gonna stop

Half a can that’s a lot! I know it was said in the FA3 thread that from a health perspective you only need a couple grams a day.

[quote]Nyral wrote:
Half a can that’s a lot! I know it was said in the FA3 thread that from a health perspective you only need a couple grams a day.[/quote]

Maybe he’s drinking for the calories rather than health?

[quote]plateau wrote:
Nyral wrote:
Half a can that’s a lot! I know it was said in the FA3 thread that from a health perspective you only need a couple grams a day.

Maybe he’s drinking for the calories rather than health?[/quote]

I know, I was just saying!

You only need 70 grams of protein per day too, but most people get a little more than that around here. The alternative to protein, or coconut oil, fish oil, etc is…? Something probably not as healthy. That is correct. And I pray to God that you’re not downing half a can of coconut oil; you mean milk right?

Just a thought.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
You only need 70 grams of protein per day too,
[/quote]

lol.

You only need 70 grams of protein per day too, but most people get a little more than that around here. The alternative to protein, or coconut oil, fish oil, etc is…? Something probably not as healthy. That is correct. And I pray to God that you’re not downing half a can of coconut oil; you mean milk right?

Just a thought.[/quote]

That’s what they taught me in nutrition so it MUST be true! Actually to be fair 1.8g/kg for weight training hehe

But yeah I see I was talking about oil and not milk, sorry bout that.

And I pray to God that you’re not downing half a can of coconut oil; you mean milk right?
[/quote]

You know, when I started bulking way back when, I was downing around a glass of olive oil a day…and I couldnt figure out for the life of me why I had the shits all of the time.

To answer your question; no, I’m drinking the milk. It actually tastes pretty good in combination with most protein powders. I’ve heard the saturated fat isn’t really something to worry about since the fatty acid’s are medium chain. I just don’t see many people advocating coconut milk as a bulking product and was hoping I’m not killing myself by drinking a half can of it a day.

[quote]imagine wrote:
…[I] was hoping I’m not killing myself by drinking a half can of it a day.[/quote]
it’s good for you; no need to worry. this is definitely a good fad.

I hear its great for curing hangovers. Donno how much truth there is to that.

[quote]Undertow wrote:
I hear its great for curing hangovers. Donno how much truth there is to that.[/quote]

Probably just as much as any “cure hangover tricks” :wink:

[quote]Undertow wrote:
I hear its great for curing hangovers. Donno how much truth there is to that.[/quote]

Heard that for the water, full of electrolytes

What exactly is coconut milk and where can i get it?.. I bought coconut cream one time and that was one of the nastiest things i’ve ever tasted in my life. Is it the same? (if so i’ll pass)… Also is it healthy to drink coconut oil? Where i’m from coconut oil is used for the skin, kinda like baby oil, not for consumption.

FYI… I LOVE coconut water and the jelly.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
What exactly is coconut milk and where can i get it?.. I bought coconut cream one time and that was one of the nastiest things i’ve ever tasted in my life. Is it the same? (if so i’ll pass)… Also is it healthy to drink coconut oil? Where i’m from coconut oil is used for the skin, kinda like baby oil, not for consumption.

FYI… I LOVE coconut water and the jelly.[/quote]

Yes, the cream is the milk, and yes the oil (if it’s food grade and in it’s unprocessed/non-hydrogenated form), is intended to be eaten as well, and provides the same benefit as the cream. Read this Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION (although it has borage oil which provides GLA and olive oil as well) or do a good search on coconut oil’s benefits

Cream of coconut is WAAAAAAY fucking different from the coconut milk. Cream of coconut is usually the shit you use to make girly drinks like Pina Colatas (sp?).

You can find Coconut milk near Asian foods. Bulletprooftiger is right, the oil should be fine for human consumption so long as you find it near the other oils (olive, canola, eatc). I add both to my shakes depending on the day.

Also, coconut milk is ~450kcal per can (400mL). So half a can is more like 225kcal, not 600-800.

Unless of course, you’re doing oil or have much bigger cans than me. Either oil or milk is fine, but figure out how many kcal you’re actually taking in.

Edit: Point of clarification: Cream of Coconut is the shit they add all kinds of sugar to.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Cream of coconut is WAAAAAAY fucking different from the coconut milk. Cream of coconut is usually the shit you use to make girly drinks like Pina Colatas (sp?). [/quote]

lolol… This is EXACTLY what i had, the cream of coconut used for pina coladas. No wonder i got fucked in the ass with no vaseline. That was so nasty… I will continue my search to get the real coconut milk.

By the way the cream of coconut was about 900 calories, and it was a small can.

You only need 70 grams of protein per day too,[/quote]

Dietitian alert. Man the battle stations.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Cream of coconut is WAAAAAAY fucking different from the coconut milk. Cream of coconut is usually the shit you use to make girly drinks like Pina Colatas (sp?).

lolol… This is EXACTLY what i had, the cream of coconut used for pina coladas. No wonder i got fucked in the ass with no vaseline. That was so nasty… I will continue my search to get the real coconut milk.

By the way the cream of coconut was about 900 calories, and it was a small can.
[/quote]

Real coconut milk is really good stuff, creamy with just a hint of coconut flavor. It’s definitely worth a good, hard look around your grocery store. Some times I’ll use a can a day.

Poliquin recommended using coconut milk postWO in place of carbs, for a cutting athlete. his thing was no carbs until below 10%.